GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Screwed by Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 04:06 AM
granddad48
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed by Lexus

i have a Gs-350 with 47k miles and one rocker arm broke. called Lexus and they blew me off, said I have no warrantee . I have been waiting for 6 weeks and still no part. anyone else have this problem with a rocker arm.
Old 12-29-13, 05:31 AM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have thought that would be covered under powertrain warranty.
Old 12-29-13, 09:26 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by promethus7
I would have thought that would be covered under powertrain warranty.
As long as his car is less than 7 yrs old.
I can't remember if the valve spring recall extended the powertrain warranty to 100K or to 8 yrs, or both?
Old 12-29-13, 10:38 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How did they even diagnose that? How does a rocker arm even break, it's a solid piece of metal.
Old 12-29-13, 10:51 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

freak accidents happen. rocker arms do snap sometimes lol! I assume the bolt holding the rocker arm down broke loose or something, causing the car to malfunction?
Old 12-30-13, 03:03 AM
granddad48
Driver School Candidate

i would have thought so too,Lexus said no.the power train warrantee extends 6 years from the time of sale, any way this is 7 years.
Old 12-30-13, 03:18 AM
granddad48
Driver School Candidate

Lexus says the same thing that this is a freak thing, and I am" SOOL". what barters me the most is that I am going on 6 weeks with out my car in a rental and they do not have a rocker arm to replace my broken arm. we are talking about a billion dollar car company and not one arm. This leads me to believe that they are having problems somewhere and that is why they have no replacement. Also when this saga began, I was driving on the highway and heard a pop from the engine and then a rapid loss of power. I pulled over and open the hood a heard banging like something caught in the fan. I made in into my mechanic,they took the engine apart and found the broken arm. Lexus said they might have given me financial help had I gone to a dealer, at $150. an hour. Being that Lexus said I wasn't covered and the engine a apart, and it was about $150. to tow it to the nearest dealer 30 miles away, i left it there.
Old 12-30-13, 04:18 AM
XxGoKoUxX

If your loaner's from Lexus. ENJOY it! $150 isn't bad to fix a rocker arm imo .

I know I enjoy my loaners everytiem I get it. Less miles on my GS, and I don't have to be bothered parking 30 spaces away from society (so stupid people don't hit me and run).
Old 12-30-13, 06:52 AM
granddad48
Driver School Candidate

the 150 was for the tow. Lexus offered me nothing. I am into a rental for about $1200. plus $800-$950 for repair. So when I say that i screwed my Lexus I mean screwed.
Old 12-30-13, 07:11 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are out of warranty...

Something broke...

Lexus says they will not cover it because you are out of warranty...

And now Lexus is screwing you because they cannot get the part to fix the car?
No ETA?
Have you tried calling another dealership to see if you can get the rocker arm yourself?
Old 01-06-14, 03:48 AM
granddad48
Driver School Candidate

This part was registered with the Lexus dealers. What that means, that it went into the Lexus data base of parts. i have a print out that the piece was ordered from Lexus 11/18. My mechanic got he piece on 12/30 work on it and I got my car back on 12/31. I can't believe that in this modern day that u can't get a part in a week. Because of that I blame Lexus on two counts, the part should last, and that they could not get me a part in a reasonable time frame. That is why I wrote Screwed by Lexus. I am leaning to sell this car and get A Acura RL,or Genesis
Old 01-07-14, 10:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Ouch, horrible to hear your misfortune! I'd hate to be driving a loaner I paid so much for!! How much was Lexus going to repair the car for? You should have had them fix it. That way it's dirt cheap, you get to keep a "complimentary" loaner, and you'd probably have come out on top.

I would feel screwed too in your shoes, but hey. Stuff happens .

If you are truly considering jumping ship on Lexus, I'd aim for the Genesis > RL.

I still don't feel that Honda has perfected the longevity of their transmissions yet. GL granddad!
Old 01-08-14, 07:01 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this - I have an 06 GS300 which has scarred cylinders even after the recall work (new pistons, rings, guides, ect), which Lexus wants me to pay 13k to replace the block (this is a known issue from the piston rings). They will give me 4k on trade for the car, and will not help with any negative equity. The car burns oil like a sieve and now has bad catalytic converters.

My point is, things could be worse. lol. Call Lexus corporate customer service. I am in the process of going that route myself. They may be able to help, given your situation.
Old 01-08-14, 07:51 PM
XxGoKoUxX

that sounds painful ryan, I'd rather junkyard or work on a nice swap for the money they're asking JUST for the block.

GL!
Old 01-08-14, 10:33 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. It's been a nightmare. I tried to work with the dealer and have them get me a LS for trade, but they don't want to work with me because there is no profit in the deal; they would break even. From my standpoint, sometimes (and we do this in my line of work) you don't make a profit with an immediate deal to retain a customer for future profits...service, another vehicle/brand loyalty, ect. I'm looking at a Genesis myself, or Infiniti, Cadillac or Audi. Uncertain, as the plan since October when this process began was to get the LS.

OP, not to threadjack with my experience - you should contact Lexus Corporate customer service and relay your experience. Given the mileage, and recall work (I am ***uming you had done) as well as lack of service from the dealer, they may be more inclined to assist in your situation. I am hearing more and more from members as well as those I meet in my area (including Lexus/former Lexus techs) regarding how poor the customer service is becoming at these high end dealers. We all know that they are out to get as much $$ from us as possible, but it's becoming ridiculous. This lack of service is not true of all, but it is a noticeable trend. GL

Quick Reply: Screwed by Lexus