GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 GS Possessed side view mirrors, solution/ maybe?

Old 12-19-13, 03:36 PM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 GS Possessed side view mirrors, solution/ maybe?

Hey CL!

Alright guys I know this is a known issue with the 07 GS's. So I did a little RD into (well not very much) but I think I know a way to stop this!

So I would adjust my mirrors to my specs of driving like any normal driver out there in the world. I left the right side mirror on (light was green in the side panel) and shut off my car, and continued my day. I came back in the car and the right side mirror was angled all the way up. SO I adjusted it again to my preference, and left the right mirror adjuster on again. So when I got home I turned off my car, and woke up the next morning and the right side mirror was adjusted at a different angle again.

So my solution;

I adjusted my mirror again and turned off the which mirror I was adjusting( which was my right one, and made sure to turn off which mirror I was adjusting. Simply by just hitting it twice)

I've done this for a week straight, and my mirrors never re-positioned itself again. I don't know if this is a fix, but it sure worked for me.. Or any other suggestion on how to fix this issue?
Old 12-19-13, 06:13 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

all youre doing is shutting off the feature that tilts the mirrors down when in reverse. Turn it back (either mirror light on) on and adjust mirrors and place gear in reverse, see what the mirrors do. Also place back in park and see what they do. Perhaps you have the little broken gear syndrome, I always leave that feature off, my mirrors still work
Old 12-19-13, 08:05 PM
Roe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I also leave that feature off as I know the gears inside aren't reliable. My last gs(06) had that problem, and being out here in the desert, there's plenty of grit and sand that gets in there.
Old 12-22-13, 06:47 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Roe
Yea, I also leave that feature off as I know the gears inside aren't reliable. My last gs(06) had that problem, and being out here in the desert, there's plenty of grit and sand that gets in there.
It isn't the gears. I had this problem on my car at one point, and they replaced a circuit board which fixed the problem. I don't know why it happens.

The problem is, they won't diagnose it because the mirror moves as intended - just not to the "right" position. If it's not a warranty fix, you might have a better chance of the diagnosis giving you the answer you want.
Old 12-23-13, 06:41 AM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkenimer
It isn't the gears. I had this problem on my car at one point, and they replaced a circuit board which fixed the problem. I don't know why it happens.

The problem is, they won't diagnose it because the mirror moves as intended - just not to the "right" position. If it's not a warranty fix, you might have a better chance of the diagnosis giving you the answer you want.
That's good to know, I will look into that. I was just using the "right" side mirror as an example, this also happens with my left side mirror.
Old 12-23-13, 08:04 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

By "right" I meant "correct", not the right side of the car.

I actually had this issue on both side mirrors after the driver's door got replaced because a sign jumped out in front of me. When the body shop returned the car to me, it had all kinds of electrical problems which they eventually found out was because of them not plugging some connectors all they way in on the new door. Once they fixed that, I now had the mirror problem.

Eventually, the mirror problem got so bad that the dealer was able to diagnose it, and replaced a circuit board on the driver's side which fixed that mirror. However, they didn't replace one on the passenger side, and that mirror remained faulty until the car got stolen a few months later. (Cops never found the damn thing, was stolen from the dealership while it was in for service).
Old 12-23-13, 07:39 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkenimer
By "right" I meant "correct", not the right side of the car.

I actually had this issue on both side mirrors after the driver's door got replaced because a sign jumped out in front of me. When the body shop returned the car to me, it had all kinds of electrical problems which they eventually found out was because of them not plugging some connectors all they way in on the new door. Once they fixed that, I now had the mirror problem.

Eventually, the mirror problem got so bad that the dealer was able to diagnose it, and replaced a circuit board on the driver's side which fixed that mirror. However, they didn't replace one on the passenger side, and that mirror remained faulty until the car got stolen a few months later. (Cops never found the damn thing, was stolen from the dealership while it was in for service).
Wow! That's a first.....car stolen from the dealer while in for service. How did it work out? Dealer cut you a deal on a new car? How did insurance pay out?
Old 12-23-13, 08:38 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Dealer's insurance paid out. New car has 3 separate GPS tracking systems now, take that ***** thieves! First system is built in Lexus Link, second is my aftermarket remote car starter (Drone Mobile), and third is a dedicated Brickhouse GPS tracker.