GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Did you find this helpful?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

VSC Brake Light Reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 06:19 PM
iGS430
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool VSC Brake Light Reset

Ok guys did a complete brake job on my 2007 GS430, rotors, brake pads and fluid flush.
the VSC, Brake lights comes on and the dealer is quoting me $1300 to check the system and reset the computer.

After extensive search and cross referencing this is the solution that i found from Toyota Nation.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/63...ng-lights.html

Check VSC system warning:

Scangauge cannot read these error codes, nor reset this light.

It would appear that regen braking, traction control, and posibly some anti rollover control is dissabled if this warning light is on. So it is both fuel inneficient and possibly dangerous to drive with this light on.

First find the obd computer plug, under the dash, near your left knee, where your scanguage plugs in.
Turn car OFF.
Use a paper clip or wire to jump TC to CG.
TC is on the top shorter row, 4th pin starting from left
CG is bottom longer row, 5th pin starting from left
See diagram:

__/_@_@_@_TC_@_@_@_@_\
_/__@_@_@_@_CG_@_@_@__\

Note: I saw some posts when researcing this suggesting a jump between TS and CG. (TS is just to the left of TC ie 3rd pin). While this may/may not work on some Toyotas. On the HIHI this doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a Hybrid System Warning to be thrown. So don't.

Once the jumper is in place, To read your VSC error codes:

Turn car to ON, you should see the message "VSC DIAG".It will read "VSC DIAG OK" if there are no codes.
Brake warning lights will go off for 4s, then start to flash. Count the flashes, these are the error codes that caused the light to come on. They may be real, and something may need to be fixed. If the car really is broken, just resetting the light won’t do much, as it will soon trip again.

If the brake lights continually flash, then there are no codes and the display should read: "VSC DIAG OK"
Once the jumper is in place, To reset you VSC error codes and lights:
turn car on.
Press the bakes (enough to make the tail lights come on, not all they way) and release 8 times. Once you have done it enough times the display will change to "VSC DIAG OK"

Remember to remove jumper wire when done.
You must complete the 8 presses within 5 seconds

I needed to do this after changing my brake pads caused this error to flag. Very neat. I suspect there are other diagnostic modes that could be found.

As always, sometimes error lights get thrown for no reason, just clear them and don't worry. But sometimes they get thrown for a reason. Ignoring real problems in your car could be dangerous for you and/or the car.
Attached Thumbnails VSC Brake Light Reset-gs430-obd-ii-connect.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by iGS430:
DEONDRE (08-24-19), zyvatiwy (04-27-21)
Old 11-27-13, 06:58 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

dat dare is slick as an onion
Old 04-27-21, 08:07 AM
zyvatiwy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just changed my rear brake pad/rotors.. and the light came on and panicked like what the hell did I do!?!

Thankfully your post helped saved me.. otherwise the loss of generative braking and super soft braking was there.

SO grateful.
The following users liked this post:
iGS430 (05-03-21)
Old 05-11-21, 01:37 AM
nwalter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Above instruction works on RX400h. The messages are slightly different but the steps are the same; place the jumper pin 4 and 13, turn ignition to 'on', wait a while (~10sec), tap the brake pedal 8 times, wait 5sec, turn off ignition, remove jumper - done!
The check VSC warning light came on after replacing rear brake pads since I had pressed the brake pedal to check the movement of the brake piston. Presumably the VSC system interpreted the lack of resistance when the piston pushed out as if the brake had failed and, therefore, disabled breaking on the wheel I had been working on. Hence the "check VSC system warning. The zero point reset re-calibrated the VSC system.