GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The best tip/trick/diy/diagnostic tool ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 11:50 PM
yuup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my copy of the toyota techstream works well with windows 7 I havent been able to turn off the TPMS either but its is definitely work the $ .
Old 01-04-14, 11:52 PM
yuup
Driver School Candidate

The switch to change sensors on my O6 GS 430 is on the drivers close to where you plug in the ODB 2 sensor
Old 01-05-14, 04:15 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone brick their car ?
Old 01-06-14, 04:54 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the Toyota 4-Runner link I posted back on page 1, step #5
Old 01-07-14, 07:34 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought one off fleabay with the 8.10 software, hopefully it comes as the item was pulled like an hour after I bought it. seller seemed to be rated high enough, but the bricking question seemed valid, is the interface resilient enough in case the cable/microcontroller has signal integrity or messaging isues for it not to just wipe out ECU? (I heard these cables fried newer VWs)
Old 01-07-14, 01:55 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warning to all. No discussion on software piracy.
Old 01-07-14, 02:12 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by supags
Can you turn on fogs with drl?
No, not really, but:

You can temporarily turn them on while just the DRL are on using the active test, but it will revert back to normal operation when not using the techstream testing function.

OR: yes, if you know your way around a relay and a soldiering iron

-Joe
Old 01-09-14, 07:41 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidz
As previously mentioned above, you can get it to work with 64-bit Windows 7/8. I just got it working using a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro on my Lexus ES350. Unsure if I can link to another forum (against the rules here?).

Here's the instructions that I followed:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html

If direct linking is against the rule then Google "MVCI Driver for TOYOTA 64 bit" and it was link #2.

Happy modding! And thanks OP for the useful link!
Defiantly the best tool ever, I have it working fine on my Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit laptop. It's allowed me to diagnose which of the 5 TPMS sensors were bad and made me aware of some problems I didn't even know about! I have an extended warranty so now I'll be informed when I go to the Lexus dealership.
Old 01-11-14, 01:12 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Not all Lexus have a second set of tire registration. To register your tire sensor, go to ID registration and if 2nd set is available it will ask you if you want to register your main or 2nd.

Originally Posted by jinglis
In the TPMS "Utilities" Tab, there were only 3 options: ID Registration; Read Sensors and Customize.

I checked "Customize" and the only options were the ones shown in the Main "Customise" Section. That is: Wireless Door Lock, Security, Illuminated Entry, Light Control, Slide Roof, Sensor, Unit Conversion, PSD & PBD operation, Door Lock, Power Window, Warning, Tilt & Telesco, Air Conditioner, Display, Smart Key/Access and Seat. I checked into a few of these but couldn't see anything relating to Tires.

"Read Sensors" just caused it to try to read the Sensors. Since I had changed to the 2nd Set (Snow Tires) it was unable to read the Sensors because it is set to read the Main Set sensors and they are in the garage. I was able to clear the Error Code however. (It may come back when I next drive it.)

So the last option was "ID Registration". It had "Main Tire" prepopulated in the second page of instructions. I could not change it or navigate around. It would only allow me to proceed and enter and register the ID Codes of the Main Set Sensors. There was no way to change this to "2nd Tire" and it only gave you 5 minutes to enter the 4 or 5 codes. I don't have the codes for the snow tires, but they were registered previously by the dealer and they are still there according to the Data list which shows "2nd Tire" value as "4".

Has anyone been successful in switching tires from Main Tire" to "2nd Tire"? I do not have a physical switch under the glovebox as there was prior to 2010. Otherwise, I guess the way to go is to have someone read the snow tire codes and then register them each year individually.

But according to the Data Printout, the "Select Switch" value is "Main". "Main" value is "4", as is the value for "2nd Tire". "Initialization Switch" was "OFF" and there were 7-digit codes listed as 4 values for "Registered ID Code". It also shows "Select Switch Info" as having a value of "WITHOUT".

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-14, 04:25 AM
Paoloveggi
Driver School Candidate

Default In need of assistance from a kind soul or divine intervention

Just got delivered the cable and software.

I also got virtual XP installed on my Windows 7. Virtual XP works fine.

Got all the techstream software installed but faced some problems. Software loads ok.

The error message i have is "COULD NOT CONNECT TO VIM"

I think it has something to do with my installation. As per the instructions from: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html
I cannot get past this stage:
Open the Device Manager and locate two failing devices in the list. Both will appear with yellow icon (usually under “Other”), indicating that Windows failed to install drivers for them. Now, right click each failing device, select Install Driver, then “Browse my Computer…” and point it for "C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS" (enable the “include subfolders” flag). Click “Next” and wait until drivers are installed.

You should now see two new devices: “Universal Serial Bus Controllers\USB Serial Converter” and “Ports (COM & LPT)\USB Serial Port (COM5)”.

Any kind soul can PM and help me along with the install?

Last edited by Paoloveggi; 01-18-14 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-18-14, 10:36 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my cable yesterday, and the setup instructions were awful at best... I ended up doing everything manually for the setup and it worked like a charm on a 64 bit system, connected it to a car and checked all various settings, definitely a great tool that helps you avoid waiting a ton of time at a dealer and listening to some BS about how half the car needs to be replaced when all there is a loose wire.... I wish I had something like like this on previous cars.

Paoloveggi, connect the cable, it should detect as a device on the system and error message shows up that no driver can be installed, go to the device manager, expand other devices and you will see mini VDI with a yellow exclamation mark, right click it, select update driver, point it to the location you have above and it will load a "USB Serial Converter" driver and move under USB devices, at this point a new unkown device appears, repeat the drive install step for this same device, and this second device becomes "USB Serial Port".

I followed the same instructions you linked to above and this was the only deviation, otherwise worked flawlessly
Old 01-19-14, 01:03 AM
Paoloveggi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blue00
Paoloveggi, connect the cable, it should detect as a device on the system and error message shows up that no driver can be installed, go to the device manager, expand other devices and you will see mini VDI with a yellow exclamation mark, right click it, select update driver, point it to the location you have above and it will load a "USB Serial Converter" driver and move under USB devices, at this point a new unkown device appears, repeat the drive install step for this same device, and this second device becomes "USB Serial Port".

I followed the same instructions you linked to above and this was the only deviation, otherwise worked flawlessly
I reached the step on yellow question mark. Select update driver and point to location. I can't select the MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS folder but have to go into its subfolders. There is no selection to include subfolders. Only can select folders AMD or i86. Both doesn't work.

I noticed that my cable has a green and red LED light. When plugged in, it goes green and very quickly turns red and stays there. I think this final step with the driver is the key!!!
Old 01-19-14, 06:46 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Paoloveggi
I reached the step on yellow question mark. Select update driver and point to location. I can't select the MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS folder but have to go into its subfolders. There is no selection to include subfolders. Only can select folders AMD or i86. Both doesn't work.

I noticed that my cable has a green and red LED light. When plugged in, it goes green and very quickly turns red and stays there. I think this final step with the driver is the key!!!
The instructions are for windows 7/8 on a 64bit computer but your original post states your using virtual XP. If your using virtual XP or if your windows 7 is not 64bit, you don't need to go thru those steps. If you are using a 64bit version of windows 7 then you missed something at the beginning of step 4.
Old 01-22-14, 07:49 AM
Paoloveggi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YaMomma
The instructions are for windows 7/8 on a 64bit computer but your original post states your using virtual XP. If your using virtual XP or if your windows 7 is not 64bit, you don't need to go thru those steps. If you are using a 64bit version of windows 7 then you missed something at the beginning of step 4.
Ok. I'm the dumb one. So careless.
Thanks to you, I got everything sorted. Installed on Win7 64bit

Review: didn't do too much for me. Wanted to see if I can adjust the auto door lock or drl but there were no settings to set. Either my car didn't come with these (I'm not from the states) or I chose the wrong version of the car (0808-0907; 1088-0608). I don't understand what these numbers mean.

I'm sure it's able to do more and just these but I'm too chicken to play around with the engine management.

One thing that got me intrigued is the accelerator sensitivity setting. I guess we could save from buying a blitz throttle controller by adjusting this.
Old 01-23-14, 10:42 AM
sngk0250
Driver School Candidate

AWESOME! I just oerdered it and liked your post.... thanks for the info! definitely very useful!!

Quick Reply: The best tip/trick/diy/diagnostic tool ever