GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DRL / High Beams

Old 02-18-14, 10:46 PM
koreanguy9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DRL / High Beams

Hello! I need your guys help on a Drl/high beam bulb that is halogen and blue! Similar to a 6000k HID blue would be great. I don't want to lose my high beams so leds are out of the question. Im also not looking to install a HID kit for the high beam/drls. I just hate yellowish light so im changing all my lights. I recently just put in sylvanias ZXE bulbs for my fogs and they have a yellowish tint for some reason... so any halogen bulbs you guys suggest would be great and pics would be a awesome plus! Im also not trying to spend so much on them either since their just halogen bulbs. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-19-14, 07:02 AM
supags
Driver

I was looking at the samething and I think I will be going with one of the sylvania bulbs (9006) and Philips (194)

FOGS:

http://www.carid.com/sylvania/3rd-br...ent-bulbs.html

OR

Philips 9006 X-treme Power Headlight Bulbs, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive Philips 9006 X-treme Power Headlight Bulbs, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive
- THESE LOOK GOOD

DRL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Phil...-/221263036423

I hope these will match my stock 4300K headlights.. any inputs?

Last edited by supags; 02-19-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 10:31 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by supags
I was looking at the samething and I think I will be going with one of the sylvania bulbs (9006) and Philips (194)

FOGS:

http://www.carid.com/sylvania/3rd-br...ent-bulbs.html

OR

Philips 9006 X-treme Power Headlight Bulbs, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive - THESE LOOK GOOD

DRL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Phil...-/221263036423

I hope these will match my stock 4300K headlights.. any inputs?
The 2nd link is not DRLs/high beams, they're the parking lights I believe.

Your DRL/High beams are 9005 bulbs. They have two-stage wattage and require a relay kit in order to run as DRL AND high beams.

FWIW OP, your DRL/high beams will still be yellow/orange during the day, and only when you high-beam will they get proper power to power up as blue.... That's what I've been taught/told.... So take it as it is.

Sorry, I wish I took the time to experiment on this, but I went straight from the factory DRLs to HIDs. If you decide to go the HID route, LMK .
Old 02-21-14, 07:55 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

If your trying to change the color of your DRL then none of the links previously posted will work. The top two are fog lights and the last one is a city light.

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
FWIW OP, your DRL/high beams will still be yellow/orange during the day, and only when you high-beam will they get proper power to power up as blue.... That's what I've been taught/told.... So take it as it is.
I agree with this statement, since the DRL is your high beam bulb at low power it will always look yellow. You could try a blub that has a heavy blue coat on the outside but I make no guarantees on what it will look like.

Amazon.com: Nokya Arctic White 9005 Headlight Bulb (Stage 2): Automotive Amazon.com: Nokya Arctic White 9005 Headlight Bulb (Stage 2): Automotive

Ive never used this bulb before I just wanted to show you what I'm talking about.

If you want to get rid of the yellow DRL and still use your high beams then turn off DRL. That's what I did and IMO it looks much better.
Old 02-22-14, 08:04 AM
supags
Driver

thanks guys, so what is 194 bulb used for? i thought that is your DRL but guess not. When does the city light come on.. when you turn your headlights on?

any pictures please? i want to match all lights to my stock 4500K

Last edited by supags; 02-22-14 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 08:16 AM
XxGoKoUxX

The 194 bulb is your parking lights, they activate at night time when you turn on the amber lighting of the car (I can't explain it any other way, sorry). They also stay on when you turn on your headlights. Your DRLs are just that, daytime running lights.

They run during the DAY, at half wattage to compensate for the day to evening lighting, and are used as high beams at full wattage when needed.
Old 02-22-14, 08:22 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

This past Friday night, in total darkness, and for the first time since I bought the GS460, I drove many hundreds of kilometers on a very isolated rural road with virtually no traffic and without any streetlights etc.

Although they were adequate, I was not entirely happy with the high-beams. I want brighter bulbs. So, this boils down to being sure about which after-market product performs better in the "brightness" department than stock.

I would like to know if there is ANY replacement bulb that switches over from the "orange" day-time running lights to high-beams that are BETTER / BRIGHTER than stock.

I don't care too much about colour temperature, just so long as they are BRIGHTER.

Today I looked on-line at a number of options marketed as replacement DRL / high-beam bulbs for the Gen 3 GS, BUT I have not yet found any evidence that says something like "Stock bulb has a high-beam brightness of 'x'. This wonderful replacement bulb has a much better / higher percentage high-beam brightness of 'z'".

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for a brighter high-beam bulb for the Gen 3 GS?

RSVP / Cheers / Lexleezard
Old 02-23-14, 07:41 AM
XxGoKoUxX

I would do a HID replacement in 3000k, since it's supposedly brighter, my matching 10k (8k in reality) seems to be VERY VERY bright at night time viewing on high beam mode, during the day, as they were in DRL mode (since I've disabled DRL mode because I don't feel happy having HIDs on 24/7), I never blinded anyone because the daylight nulls the HIDs.
Old 02-23-14, 09:56 AM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I would do a HID replacement in 3000k, since it's supposedly brighter, my matching 10k (8k in reality) seems to be VERY VERY bright at night time viewing on high beam mode, during the day, as they were in DRL mode (since I've disabled DRL mode because I don't feel happy having HIDs on 24/7), I never blinded anyone because the daylight nulls the HIDs.
Thanks for your response.

So, three questions: (1) what is the manufacturer and the type of bulbs you used for replacement? (2) did you also install a new HID wiring kit with ballast etc., or are the replacement bulbs just "plug and play"? (3) do you have any night or evening pics of your car with the replacement bulbs lit up and running on high-beam?

Thanks / Cheers / Lexleezard
Old 02-24-14, 07:07 AM
XxGoKoUxX

1. I used my local shop's HID kit.... NO specifics really. (HID Pro). Cost me $35 for the whole kit, and the ballasts are TINY.

2. kit consisted of (and you'll need this) a ballast and bulbs. You have to buy a relay kit if you want to keep your DRLs on ($15 extra).

3. Here are photos during the day: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-hi-beams.html

I can snap a photo tonight on the highway (where it's pitch black) on the way home to show you how it illuminates the road and the signs. It shines directly towards the floor, since I don't use it to blinde oncoming traffic, but it's BRIGHT.

Evening time pictures if I remember i'll snap a photo of that for you.
Old 05-21-14, 12:08 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lotta threads here about this,but i cant find the specifics anywhere. What is the best stock high beam drl replacement bulb that is plug and play.I want brighter light and white drl rather than the yellow.

also what is the best parking light led replacement to get even white light distibuted in the housing?

also these philips 6200 low beam hids look like they are priced nice. Do these have much less brightness than the stock 4300 bulbs?
Old 05-21-14, 02:21 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1supra
lotta threads here about this,but i cant find the specifics anywhere. What is the best stock high beam drl replacement bulb that is plug and play.I want brighter light and white drl rather than the yellow.
That's the million dollar question, I searched for months and couldn't find an example of a white DRL besides going with HID or LED. I just purchased a bunch of bulbs trying to find the right look for me.

I got the following in Hyper Yellow because I want people to notice me when I'm flashing them driving slow in the fast lane.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/9005-HB3-N...-p/nok9005.htm

I am also hoping that it gives me a bright yellow DRL but they also make a Arctic White with a heavy blue coat which may appear whiter than stock.

also what is the best parking light led replacement to get even white light distibuted in the housing?
Currently I have the following installed..

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/194-LED-36...30194w-360.htm

It was a little blue for the stock 4300k low beams but it's a perfect match for the 6000k low beams I just installed. I also purchased...

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips-Bl...9666000kx2.htm

Oddly enough its brighter than the other ones with 9 LED's even though it only has one. The color however didn't match my 6000k low beams.

also these philips 6200 low beam hids look like they are priced nice. Do these have much less brightness than the stock 4300 bulbs?
I don't think there is such a thing as a priced nice Phillips bulb. If the price is to nice it's probably a fake Phillips bulb. There is a noticeable difference in brightness when going from 4300k to 6000k and 6200k will be a little worse. Don't get me wrong you can see fine, I went down a few dark roads with no street lights and didn't have any problems. I didn't think the stock low beams where yellow until I put 6000k in. It doesn't look blue when your looking at the car but there is a slight blue tint on the road. I think it has to do with how the projectors are setup on a Lexus but it looks great!!

I left one bulb stock and took a picture against my garage to show the color difference.

I also purchased 6500k bulbs for my HID fogs which you may want to do if your worried about brightness on the road. With the fogs on everything is well lit but I did all my dark road test driving with the fogs off because the 6500k bulbs didn't match my 6000k low beams. Unfortunately kbcarstuff doesn't sell a 6000k replacement bulb and I didn't think there would be a big difference but the fogs are to blue for me. I'm going to order some 5000k and 3000k fogs to match my high beams and see which one I like the most.
Old 05-21-14, 10:14 AM
1supra
Pole Position

good info,thanks. I dont want to loose brightness in the low beam,so ill stick with the 4300 stockers,Im really noit that impressed with how bright they are to begin with,I drive with high beams alot to compensate,and have to turn them off alot when cars approach.
I just hate the yellow drl and parking light,What do most people use in the high beam drl to get rid of this?
Old 05-21-14, 02:05 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want to keep the high beam as a halogen, I would probably suggest the Nokya Arctic white which is about a 7000K. It will be pretty blue as far as halogens go but you will still maintain the functionality of the high beam. If you want better light output but want more of a white color (about 4000K), the Philips CrystalVision bulbs would also be a good choice.

John
Old 05-21-14, 06:26 PM
1supra
Pole Position

thanks for the info...will either of these bulbs not appear so yellow in drl mode in day?

can you send me some links to these you have for sale? also need a parking light that is white and fills the housing with even light. Im not real preticular about super bright white lite.I just want more visibilty at greater distance and to get rid of the terrible looking yellowish orange, drl light and parking light

Last edited by 1supra; 05-21-14 at 06:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DRL / High Beams