GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Which oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 09:14 PM
Jens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which oil to use?

I have a 2009 gs with all options but wanted to get feedback on which synthetic oil to use?? And why?
Old 09-26-13, 10:14 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jens
I have a 2009 gs with all options but wanted to get feedback on which synthetic oil to use?? And why?
I've always used mobil 1 fully synthetic on all my cars changing it about every 10k miles or so.
Old 09-26-13, 10:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Mobil 1 synth has gone down the drain as far as quality..... Most people still keep the ~5k oil change.

Don't get me wrong though, Mobil 1 is still a great "over the shelf" oil.

I personally use redline oil on my vehicle. I get great MPGs (recommended 5w-30, I use 5w-20 with no leaks and almost NO oil burn.... granted most vehicles burn oil).

It's got a lot of the good/better additives in it for a longer preserved engine.

I've finally reached 9600 miles. On my next gas tank, I will be changing and sending off my Red Line fluid and report back to everyone afterwards.
Old 09-26-13, 11:48 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple HPS! Love it
Old 09-27-13, 03:30 AM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance, since the day I got my licenses/ my first car, and never had any issue at all with it.

EX: my boosted 00 LS Integra I ran 10w30, and changed my oil every 4k ( that's with beating the crap out of the car all day long/ first start up ice cold 9k redlines!<<< jk lol) and gave me no problems. I pulled my motor due to changing my head gasket, and removed my valve cover and it was super clean! no gunk build up or nothing, looked like a brand new head with 0 miles on it, I had to say I was very impressed. Also never gave me any issues, and excellent gas mileage.

As of now I am using 5w30 on my 3gs, and have no complaints!

But I want to try something new, been hearing a lot of hype about Purol Elite series oil due to following Bisimoto on instagram, Peep the link below! expensive, but I guess its worth a try! If I do I will post my review on it

I mean he runs it in all his cars, and his nice a@# Porsche 911 twin turbo 771whp @11psi, and the motor is built to with stand 1400hp -______-. Come on there's no way he baby's that thing lol.

But that's just my 2 cents!

http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=788
Old 09-27-13, 03:37 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

I use regular oil non-synthetic or synthetic blend. I like to use non-synthetic as non-synthetic is better for your seals, only down side it doesn't breaks down faster then synthetics. I change my oil every 2,500 miles
Old 09-27-13, 04:56 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Castrol edge titanium in the gold jug. I ran some mobile 1 extended performance in the GS350 once, but the car burned it quicker than the Castrol. am sticking with Castrol in all 3 of my vehicles.
Old 09-27-13, 06:40 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I switch every other between conventional (Lexus/Toyota oil at dealer) and synthetic.
Old 09-27-13, 12:54 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I use regular oil non-synthetic or synthetic blend. I like to use non-synthetic as non-synthetic is better for your seals, only down side it doesn't breaks down faster then synthetics. I change my oil every 2,500 miles
Ain't nothing wrong with conventional oil, there's someone I know who's kept his truck, with a unmolested engine for 500k miles (his DD Beater) and used conventional oil like his father from day 1. He used quality conventional oil though, not the garbage, and kept 2500mi oil changes every step of the way.

Originally Posted by burny
Castrol edge titanium in the gold jug. I ran some mobile 1 extended performance in the GS350 once, but the car burned it quicker than the Castrol. am sticking with Castrol in all 3 of my vehicles.
That was my exact problem with mobil 1 oils..... It burns off quicker than the redline fluid, AND it didn't have all the goodies like the redline does.

FWIW, the redline oil breaks in better, and coats your engine well to provide protection, with extra zinc and additives to help longevity engine-wise.

We'll definitely see how the outcome is when I get my analysis back.

Originally Posted by Simmsled
I switch every other between conventional (Lexus/Toyota oil at dealer) and synthetic.
LOL, I have no idea the effects of switching back and forth every so often, but..... Conventional oil has contaminants in it still, so switching from synth to conventional is okay.... but the reverse is, as I've been told by many accounts, a no no, due to the purity of no minerals, the synthetic will take up all the build-up on the seals the conventional oil left behind.
Old 09-27-13, 04:44 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I change the oil once a year with amsoil. That's it. So far so good. I only put like, 2000 miles max a year on the stupid car in the first place though. I swear everything related to my car wears out just from getting old rather than getting used. If I wasn't such a princess I would probably be better off driving a 20 year old sienna.
Old 09-27-13, 05:10 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I change the oil once a year with amsoil. That's it. So far so good. I only put like, 2000 miles max a year on the stupid car in the first place though. I swear everything related to my car wears out just from getting old rather than getting used. If I wasn't such a princess I would probably be better off driving a 20 year old sienna.
This is probably why you have carbon buildup
Old 09-27-13, 05:12 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

That was my exact problem with mobil 1 oils..... It burns off quicker than the redline fluid, AND it didn't have all the goodies like the redline does.

FWIW, the redline oil breaks in better, and coats your engine well to provide protection, with extra zinc and additives to help longevity engine-wise.

We'll definitely see how the outcome is when I get my analysis back.

I got a blackstone analysis back on my 91 4runner a few months back. Have owned the vehicle since new and have only run Castrol oils in it. 250,000 and an excellent report. I run the Castrol HM green jug in the 02 GS300 and it has almost 150,000 on it.
Old 09-27-13, 07:52 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
LOL! It took me 1yr and 2-3 months to burn 10k on my redline oil...... You definitely beat me in putting on the miles for the GS..... What is your DD anyways?

On the secondary topic, don't knock a van till you TRY it! I'm actually in the market for one since I've been having a fad for car audio lately...... Been wanting an economical van so I can put a pair of 15's or 18's in the back, all while still keeping the 2nd row seating LOL!

Originally Posted by ibidu1
This is probably why you have carbon buildup
Ehh.... Elaborate? lol

I got a blackstone analysis back on my 91 4runner a few months back. Have owned the vehicle since new and have only run Castrol oils in it. 250,000 and an excellent report. I run the Castrol HM green jug in the 02 GS300 and it has almost 150,000 on it.
That is most definitely excellent results! I'm crossing my fingers, hoping the same results as you claim, because I bought enough redline this turn around for 2 whole oil changes!

At what mileage do you change your oil good sir? (using the Castrol HM green jug that is.
Old 09-28-13, 11:08 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned 1989 Honda Accord for 16 years since I bought it new.
I used conventional 5W-30 and changed the oil every 3500 miles.
The day I gave it away it had over 200K miles and didn't burn any oil.
Change the oil often if you intend to keep your car for a long time.
Old 09-28-13, 11:36 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used Mobil1 in all my vehicles (2 Lexus and a BMW), change it every 10k, and have never burned a drop.

Quick Reply: Which oil to use?