GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

:: 20" rims rear rubbing ::

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 10:46 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Agreed, but then again Stormforge, are ALL the offsets on ALL of our US-Spec and overseas spec cars the same offset? He is after all, in Ireland
to the best of my knowledge, offset should be the same everywhere in the world?

the only other possibility is that the wheel manufacturer mislabeled the wheel, saying it is a +45 offset when in fact it isn't.
Old 09-30-13, 02:33 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shave your fenders. Never shave material off your rim. If you don't wanna shave your fenders, get small width tires. I also agree, your rears cannot be et+45.
Old 10-03-13, 09:33 AM
rafi
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I checked fronts and rears and they are as follows:

front - 8.5X20 5/114 ET35
rear - 9.5x20 5/114 ET35

The fenders have been shaved already.

Thanks
Old 10-03-13, 09:38 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rafi
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I checked fronts and rears and they are as follows:

front - 8.5X20 5/114 ET35
rear - 9.5x20 5/114 ET35

The fenders have been shaved already.

Thanks
well there's your problem! +35 offset is way too aggressive, and is the reason you are rubbing. you need to take your wheels back to your wheel vendor and ask them either to exchange for the correct offset or give you a refund. selling wheels that don't fit is just wrong.
Old 10-03-13, 10:32 AM
rafi
Driver School Candidate

I regret that I didn't ask that question 8 months ago when I bought the rims. Exchange it's not the option at this stage :-(
What other option would work for me now? Smaller tyres?

Thanks
Old 10-03-13, 11:51 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

it's hard to say whether or not narrower tires (275) will fit better or not. looking at the 4th picture you posted, its clear that your rim extends past your fender, so a narrower tire (imho) still won't solve the problem and you would still have rubbing problems. but i'll let the wheel gurus here advise you as i'm no wheel/tire fitment expert.

the most expensive option for you now would be to sell your wheels, and buy wheels that have the correct offset. if you want to lower your car without fender modification, this is probably the best route to take.

alternatively, you can have a bodyshop roll your fenders so that your wheels will fit.
Old 10-03-13, 10:47 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah, rolling or flaring your fenders might be your cheapest bet right now. You must put smaller sidewall tires on your wheels now and if you think of lowering, coil overs and not springs only. And stiff setting.
Old 10-04-13, 12:01 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ be careful if you roll your fenders because the paint may chip if you don't heat it up well or go slow. Like I said in my first post shave the rear and go skinnier tires. You'll stop rubbing. 20x9.5 +35 isnt really that aggressive compared to some of the fitment the VIP guys rock! You can still make these wheels work.
Old 10-04-13, 01:32 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I mean it, Ireland is very poor with real machine shops and other stuff related to tuning. I started buying tools and I usually do the basic repair/maintenance by myself.
Going back to the rims, I'll take them off tomorrow and check the offset. Thanks a million for all valuable info so far and prompt replies guys.
NP, you should consider finding someone to open up shop there if you're really into tuning... The demand there would probably do off well!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
to the best of my knowledge, offset should be the same everywhere in the world?

the only other possibility is that the wheel manufacturer mislabeled the wheel, saying it is a +45 offset when in fact it isn't.
LOL! Yeah, you definitely hit it on the spot, it was +35! LOL..... I'm unsure of these things, that's why I try to consider all possible options. Now it's confirmed for sure all Spec'd GS' are same offset hahaha!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
well there's your problem! +35 offset is way too aggressive, and is the reason you are rubbing. you need to take your wheels back to your wheel vendor and ask them either to exchange for the correct offset or give you a refund. selling wheels that don't fit is just wrong.
Agreed, whether it be 1yr+ or 8mos, I'd try to get a exchange or refund for the wheels (not the tires, since those are most definitely worn).

I regret that I didn't ask that question 8 months ago when I bought the rims. Exchange it's not the option at this stage :-(
What other option would work for me now? Smaller tyres?

Thanks
You can also purchase a camber kit for the car, adjust camber will wear the inner tire out more, but it will reduce that rubbing greatly.

You have to also consider rafi, you said there is ZERO support for modifications out there. a thinner tire on a properly spec'd wheel is almost impossible to find up in west Virginia in my brother's residence. Make sure you find a shop that will stretch your tires for you if you want to consider going that route.
Old 10-06-13, 02:48 AM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

We are talking about less then a half inch difference here from what he was suppose to receive. A skinnier tire with a slighty taller side wall "should" fix your problem. Skinnier then a 275 like previously stated. Yes a camber kit will help greatly as well if you don't wanna swap out your tires. Yes your tires will wear quicker. But if your toe alignment is spot on, it won't wear as quickly as you think. At my drive height(I'm on air), my fronts are at around -5 degrees of camber. My tires still look good after a year and a half of driving. My rears are another story.

Last edited by 3gsJaayyyy; 10-06-13 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-07-13, 10:27 AM
rafi
Driver School Candidate

What about that one - http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/fen...ng-how-to.html ?
The tool is like $100 plus heatgun and IR thermometer.
Old 10-09-13, 01:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

What about that one - http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/fen...ng-how-to.html ?
The tool is like $100 plus heatgun and IR thermometer.
Unless you are a confident and good DIYer, i wouldn't recommend it (imho). That's just scary to me, you could screw up and ruin your fender if you're not careful.

If you are keen on going this route, I would recommend you practice on a junk car (or two) and see if you can roll the fender properly. That way if you mess up, you won't damage your own car. 2 cents.