GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

No Aux in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 10:05 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Was it a bad experience for you with the 3.5mm to the tape conversion? It honestly sounded the best IMO. I have the vaistech, and I don't know if it's just me, but mp3 playback isn't as nice, not as much bass response, the sound is very flat, and it sounds very "mono" like vs "stereo".... Then again i'm using a 3.5mm (I've used ZUNE, SGS II phone, IPOD, IPAD, and IPHONE) to RCA conversion.

Any reccomendations otherwise I'd love to hear, i'm willing to do the switch
Have you tried iSimple? it's not like other FM modulators, I hate those. It def isn't CD quality but it is quite good. For ~30 bucks, it's worth a shot.
Old 09-11-13, 10:19 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

http://www.caraudiogiants.com/isimpl..._store=default

Are you referring to that? I have extremely picky ears for what it's worth, If it's nowhere near CD quality (as in burned CDs) then I'm not sure i'd like it. I really thank you for the suggestion though!

I'm still unsure if it is the 3.5mm--->RCA cable I'm using or if it's just my ears doing that to me. I've also been considering purchasing a simple DVD/CD player that has mp3 capabilities like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-AXDVD1-Compact-Car-DVD-Player-with-USB-SD-Port-Aux-In-Remote-/350873491941?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_o_GPS&hash=item51b1b099e5&vxp=mtr
Not this exact model, or even brand for that matter, but the same conceptual unit that does everything this unit does.
Old 09-12-13, 01:47 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-F
Have you tried iSimple? it's not like other FM modulators, I hate those. It def isn't CD quality but it is quite good. For ~30 bucks, it's worth a shot.
Doesn't iSimple only work with I-devices? (Iphones, ipods etc). That's the thing that turned me away from it. Didn't want the device to dictate my choice of phones. If I wanted to get an android I would have to uninstall the whole thing again.
Old 09-12-13, 02:04 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Vais tech -- http://www.vaistech.com/site/sl3u.php
Old 09-12-13, 06:46 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't get anything from GROM. I bought the GROM usb unit, which now has some nice android streaming capability - and spent the first year constantly updating firmware because it just would not work properly and keep freezing up. They finally got it working consistently, then I stupidly tried to update the firmware for android fixes and their firmware bricked the thing and I cannot for the life of me (or following any of their suggestions) bring it back to life.

Will they help me out by repairing or replacing it? NO they will not... out of warranty, not their problem even though it was their bad firmware (which they seemed to quickly replace with a newer version on their site) that killed the thing.

Do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard of GROM. Personally I just pulled the thing out of my car and just listen to the radio and stopped caring. Then again, I drive very little and hardly ever drive anywhere that requires I be in the car for longer than like 15 minutes.

Next time I go on some kind of road trip I'll just be old fashioned and burn a few CDs, done.

I used to have a tape deck adapter but I think I threw it out a long time ago during an anti hoarding session before I got this car thinking "am I ever going to use this? Nah..." It actually is a decent option?
Old 09-12-13, 07:38 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you referring to that? I have extremely picky ears for what it's worth, If it's nowhere near CD quality (as in burned CDs) then I'm not sure i'd like it. I really thank you for the suggestion though!

I'm still unsure if it is the 3.5mm--->RCA cable I'm using or if it's just my ears doing that to me. I've also been considering purchasing a simple DVD/CD player that has mp3 capabilities like:

Audiovox AXDVD1 Compact Car DVD Player with USB SD Port Aux in Remote | eBay

Not this exact model, or even brand for that matter, but the same conceptual unit that does everything this unit does.
Yeah that's it. I'm not an audio expert, but I like it. I can turn the volume all the way up (to like 50+) and it sounds pretty crisp to me, unlike the cassette adapter. I don't see myself upgrading to anything else.

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Doesn't iSimple only work with I-devices? (Iphones, ipods etc). That's the thing that turned me away from it. Didn't want the device to dictate my choice of phones. If I wanted to get an android I would have to uninstall the whole thing again.
Well the one I got is the one with a 3.5mm AUX cable so you can attach anything. $30.
Old 09-12-13, 08:35 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by lex-ative
No sir, they have universal kits, I think I posted the universal kit too, if not... Here it is:

http://www.tss-radio.com/isimple-uni...FYdQ7AodPmsAAA

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I have it, I have no complaints on reliability issues. It's been a darn good unit!! It's just the SQ isn't there for my listening ears..... Who knows, maybe I need a synthesizer of some sort inbetween the RCA's to my 3.5mm cables.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Don't get anything from GROM. I bought the GROM usb unit, which now has some nice android streaming capability - and spent the first year constantly updating firmware because it just would not work properly and keep freezing up. They finally got it working consistently, then I stupidly tried to update the firmware for android fixes and their firmware bricked the thing and I cannot for the life of me (or following any of their suggestions) bring it back to life.

Will they help me out by repairing or replacing it? NO they will not... out of warranty, not their problem even though it was their bad firmware (which they seemed to quickly replace with a newer version on their site) that killed the thing.

Do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard of GROM. Personally I just pulled the thing out of my car and just listen to the radio and stopped caring. Then again, I drive very little and hardly ever drive anywhere that requires I be in the car for longer than like 15 minutes.

Next time I go on some kind of road trip I'll just be old fashioned and burn a few CDs, done.

I used to have a tape deck adapter but I think I threw it out a long time ago during an anti hoarding session before I got this car thinking "am I ever going to use this? Nah..." It actually is a decent option?
Good to know, thanks for the insight Jay! And yes.... the tape deck is VERY good IMO. I just don't like the wired mess is all. Just do not leave your phone/mp3 player on MAX volume, you set it to a moderate volume and you turn it up via your head unit. From there you can fine tune with your mp3 player (whatever your choice) to retain from distortion. I found it to be one of the MOST clear and natural sounds coming out.

Originally Posted by GS-F
Yeah that's it. I'm not an audio expert, but I like it. I can turn the volume all the way up (to like 50+) and it sounds pretty crisp to me, unlike the cassette adapter. I don't see myself upgrading to anything else.

Well the one I got is the one with a 3.5mm AUX cable so you can attach anything. $30.
I think you left the volume on your mp3 player on MAX, hence why you got distortion.... You have to realize that these things aren't designed for this, you have to fine tune it your way to get it to sound right . It was literally the clearest thing I've heard come out sound-wise. I listen to my audio system from 50-60 volume too, and the whole system is amped on a 100w x6 RMS (I have extra speakers laying around in the car).

I really do thank you for the insight though! I think I may try an actual RCA -->3.5mm aux cable, rather than some cheap camera cable I had laying around.... Will report back with results if it gets any better!
Old 09-13-13, 06:01 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The vaistech uses hdmi cable to get your audio and video delivered to your oem stereo. It tricks your car into thinking it has an additional cd changer. The quality is perfect, no loss whatsoever - I mean, it IS hdmi.
Old 09-13-13, 06:24 AM
BinaryJay

Why are RCA cables needed for the cassette deck adapters you're using... I've never seen one that didn't come with a 3.5mm cable built into it and certainly not one that uses an RCA cable. Oh you're talking about your AUX lol... I doubt changing cables is going to make any difference, people have always put too much stock in the power of a cable... the almighty high margin cable.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 09-13-13 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 06:29 AM
BinaryJay

Audiovox AXDVD1 Compact Car DVD Player with USB SD Port Aux in Remote | eBay

How are you planning actually getting it into the dash... can the bottom portion actually be replaced with a DIN adapter?
Old 09-13-13, 08:09 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by rhwimmers
The vaistech uses hdmi cable to get your audio and video delivered to your oem stereo. It tricks your car into thinking it has an additional cd changer. The quality is perfect, no loss whatsoever - I mean, it IS hdmi.
Which unit are you referring to? I have the SLVU2 or whatever, it's the original 1st-gen or 2nd-gen vaistech unit, it's made with the 3 RCA cables.

Why are RCA cables needed for the cassette deck adapters you're using... I've never seen one that didn't come with a 3.5mm cable built into it and certainly not one that uses an RCA cable. Oh you're talking about your AUX lol... I doubt changing cables is going to make any difference, people have always put too much stock in the power of a cable... the almighty high margin cable.
I doubt it too, but people have been telling me that 3.5mm audio outs are perfectly fine..... I've actually tested it out on my home theatre too, and I just don't get how it still sounds craptastic on that system (using a 3.5mm to RCA from my laptop to my Yamaha home theatre system).

I'm not saying i'm going out to spend $50 on that adaptor, that's ridiculous LOL. I just meant I may go out and buy the zune-video adapter that was made for the unit and see what the end result looks like. No harm in spending $15 on the remote kit for it anyways

How are you planning actually getting it into the dash... can the bottom portion actually be replaced with a DIN adapter?
I didn't plan on putting it in the dash, my car doesn't come equipped with nav, so I figured I can fabricate a bracket in my glovebox for the unit.
Old 10-18-14, 11:07 PM
PGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for a very long delay of appreciations for replies,
In the early spring of this year (2014), the Admiral and I got new phones, with that I got Samsung bluetooth headunit with FM capability, this way I am now tuning into my "all around the world radio" from the phones. No cables and no re-wiring. Some of the stations from Europe came out much better but also in 5.1 surround mode.
First time I heard it, I went "What is going on",
The sound is crisp and pristine, the base even so more deep too. I did a check vs. a local FM frequency and had better reception through the bluetooth, ...... go figure!
Thank you all.
Still in the bucket list, new receiver and speakers for my current non ML audio system.
I am open for suggestion, wallet open for an all together before taxes at 3500 dollars.

Thanks again
Old 10-19-14, 04:02 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

best aux by far is the GTA kit.
And gives you iphone plug in as also can use steering wheel to change track,
and it shows track from ipod on screen.
http://www.gtacarkits.com/product/le...phone-aux-kit/
i dont actually have an ipod/iphone (wierd yea lol)
But i would get one just for convenience of never having to change cds.
also no nasty wires anywhere, its all hidden behind the dash, bit of install tho

Last edited by sonnyhood; 10-19-14 at 04:03 AM. Reason: last line
Old 10-20-14, 06:04 AM
HDavidB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the GTA kit and it works great with Aux in to get music off my Samsung Phone.
Also works well with the iPhone 4 & 5... my wife and kids have those so we've always got something plugged into the Lexus as we are driving along.

The install wasn't that difficult, it does tuck in nicely under the center console just the wire can get a bit tangled up and take space in the console box.

Wish the GTA kit had BT, if I could get my Blue tooth on the Samsung to work in the Lexus that would have been Perfect.. I have an older Nexus and it never worked, iPhone 4 and 5 work no problem.
Old 10-20-14, 09:57 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HDavidB
I have the GTA kit and it works great with Aux in to get music off my Samsung Phone.
Also works well with the iPhone 4 & 5... my wife and kids have those so we've always got something plugged into the Lexus as we are driving along.

The install wasn't that difficult, it does tuck in nicely under the center console just the wire can get a bit tangled up and take space in the console box.

Wish the GTA kit had BT, if I could get my Blue tooth on the Samsung to work in the Lexus that would have been Perfect.. I have an older Nexus and it never worked, iPhone 4 and 5 work no problem.
I see that GTA unit comes with a 30 pin connector, which is rapidly becoming obsolete. Are you using he genuine apple lightening pin to 30 pin adapter or a cheaper one since you said you are using it with iphone 5?

I ask because I have heard only the $40 apple adapter is the one the OS will recognize. I am contemplating going the cheaper route for this rather than Sl3b, I may have to check myself for being this much of a miser here. The cost of GTA kit to use with recent iphones/ipods = $115(unit) +$30-$40(apple adapter) = $160 vs $229 for bluetooth audio regardless of which unit you pair it with may be worth the extra $70-$75.

Quick Reply: No Aux in?