GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-13, 09:53 PM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexo11
Did you remove the throttle body to clean it thoroughly? If so, did you have to purchase a new seal once you removed the TB for cleaning.
When I pulled my Throttle Body off to clean it I found it had a rubber o-ring. No gasket was needed.

When I put the Throttle Body back on after cleaning, I found that the engine was idling very erratically. It would idle really high 3k, then would drop to 1k, then back to 3k. I pulled the battery terminal to reset the computer and it was fine after that.

It freaked me out at first...I thought I messed something up.
Old 10-20-13, 08:38 AM
SCGS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexo11

Did you remove the throttle body to clean it thoroughly? If so, did you have to purchase a new seal once you removed the TB for cleaning.
I didn't opt to clean the throttle body, probably should of it was only $59. BTW got my girl back, $1500 job! $70 of free gas as well no complaints.
Old 10-20-13, 09:24 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGS350
I didn't opt to clean the throttle body, probably should of it was only $59. BTW got my girl back, $1500 job! $70 of free gas as well no complaints.
Do it yourself and save money its very very simple. Just clamp and 4 bolts, or you can clean it without removing the throttle body. Just open the clamp tube and spray into the TB wipe clean and then gently with your finger push the butterfly spray inside and wipe inside of it.
Old 10-21-13, 12:05 PM
typrice
Rookie

So drop off was good, got a new ES350 as a loner. Its not a bad ride.
When I was there it seemed as if the "assistant" manager was trying to put me on the elevator as far as telling me they have to inspect everything to see if it will be fixed under the recall. I explained to him ive been in contact with Lexus and they assured me it would be covered. I guess i will hear fron them today some time.
Old 10-21-13, 04:11 PM
typrice
Rookie

.....AND HERE WE GO!

So i get a phone call from my dealership. They tell me i have extensive damage to the piston/valve/rockers.
We knew this going in, the last check repormed by the dealership was in May. The tech figured this was all caused by the cam gear bolts backing out. Now my service advisor is saying otherwise. He told me i must have been driving with broken rocker arms, and a touched valve for months. the recall is only for the cam bolts i would need to figure out how im going to fix the piston valve and rocker arms before they can preform the recall. Seriously!? WOW! DAMNAGE CAUSED BY TIMING BEING OFF!!!! due to the 3 bolts backing out.
Old 10-21-13, 04:53 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by typrice
.....AND HERE WE GO!

So i get a phone call from my dealership. They tell me i have extensive damage to the piston/valve/rockers.
We knew this going in, the last check repormed by the dealership was in May. The tech figured this was all caused by the cam gear bolts backing out. Now my service advisor is saying otherwise. He told me i must have been driving with broken rocker arms, and a touched valve for months. the recall is only for the cam bolts i would need to figure out how im going to fix the piston valve and rocker arms before they can preform the recall. Seriously!? WOW! DAMNAGE CAUSED BY TIMING BEING OFF!!!! due to the 3 bolts backing out.
So do you have any sort of documentation from your previous service in May? Did they indicate in writing what the damage was and that the bolts had actually backed out at that time? I know you said it's been in your garage for a while, but have you put any miles on it since then?
Old 10-21-13, 05:04 PM
typrice
Rookie

Originally Posted by CAK 500
So do you have any sort of documentation from your previous service in May? Did they indicate in writing what the damage was and that the bolts had actually backed out at that time? I know you said it's been in your garage for a while, but have you put any miles on it since then?
No sir, no miles, and yes I do have the RO with the tech's notes. They still gave me that bull$h!t.
I will wait till tomorrow and figure out how they are going to get this done. LOL. bastards!
Old 10-21-13, 08:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Call customer service, explain to them your vehicle has the cam bolts that backed out and that you almost was in an accident because of it. Then tell them the damages it caused
Old 10-21-13, 08:50 PM
RentonMark
Driver School Candidate

Dropped my car off at 8 am this morning and was also given a 2013 ES 350 for a loaner. Only drove the loaner car for a total of 45 miles round trip. I was impressed in the ES though. Nice overall appearance, feel and better acceleration than I expected. Anyway, repair work took just about 5.5 to 6 hours as they called me around 2 pm telling me it was done. Tank was topped off (just under half a tank when I dropped it off), car washed and tires dressed. I'll be paying close attention over the next few weeks to make sure I no longer hear the clattering at cold start up. Overall I'm pleased with Lexus of Bellevue.
Old 10-21-13, 09:12 PM
bpjadhav
Driver School Candidate

I received the recall letter in the mail today. Since I will be traveling over the next few weeks, I will call the dealer once I am back. I will most likely schedule an appointment with Lexus of Danvers sometime in the last week of November.
Old 10-22-13, 03:28 AM
typrice
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Call customer service, explain to them your vehicle has the cam bolts that backed out and that you almost was in an accident because of it. Then tell them the damages it caused
Already did. Ill be visiting the dealership today. Corporate told me to get the repair order in writing and email it to them.
Old 10-22-13, 05:34 AM
wadeski
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think its still ok to drive the car when you need this recall done? i plan on taking a road trip about 500 miles this weekend and my appointment to have my car fixed is next tuesday.
Old 10-22-13, 06:18 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would drive it if you are not suspecting any issues with it. My appointment is Nov. 12 and I told my wife to drive it all she wants. The service guy told me that they are doing 3 a week because that is all they can get parts for. I told him to move me out a few weeks so his goons could get some practice before going after my car.
Old 10-22-13, 10:28 AM
typrice
Rookie

So I went back to lexus today. I spoke with the service director. He said he spoke to corporate, and it doesn't seem like lexus will cover it. Told me to hold tight and wait for a call from them.
Old 10-23-13, 06:20 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having my 2010 GS350 done right now at Lexus Of Escondido near San Diego. I dropped it off Monday, 21 October, and was called on Tuesday, saying it would be done on Wednesday.
I also had a defective battery replaced, and an overall inspection and wash.

I've read in some posts that a full tank of gas was also supplied. I will report on that later.
I am expecting a better running car overall, but some ticking will probably remain.

We will see.

Quick Reply: Lexus Recall