GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thinking of buying a 3rd gen GS -- what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 08:07 PM
mmret
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thinking of buying a 3rd gen GS -- what to look for?

I'm thinking of buying a 3rd gen GS. Main reason is that I'm going to need something with 4 doors and usable back seats soon (have a CLK550 now, fantastic car but don't relish the thought of trying to manage a baby seat back there).

Also after owning two MBs and a BMW, I'm kind of sick of temperamental cars (even if they are fantastic when all is good in the world) and I just want something that will run like clockwork for 300k+ kms. Less headaches, the better and with kids I probably won't have time nor energy to debug my car.

Couple of questions:

-Reliability issues to look out for? Valve spring recall on 350s? Anything on the 460s?
-Common interior issues like rattles or electrical stuff?
-Any stories of nav screen touch-function dying like with the IS350?
-What kind of difference in fuel economy can I expect between an AWD 350 and a RWD 460? Around here, the V8s are priced really really close to the V6s. Sometimes cheaper, weirdly.
-What kind of oil change intervals are you guys seeing? Could I run ~15000km changes using good quality synthetic or should I just stick to 8km and whatever dino 5W-30 is on sale at the time?
-How picky about oil are Toyota/Lexus engines about oil type compared to MB/BMW? I am loaded to the gills with M1 0W-40 ... I have to drive 40 minutes away to find a source of the stuff that doesn't cost a fortune.

One big one - this is what's keeping the 2012+ TL in contention:
-Can I get a stroller in the back along with "baby stuff"?? The trunk opening looks pretty annoying ....
-I assume TWO strollers (or one of those twin strollers...I dunno...I haven't looked into this kids thing very much yet haha) is a no-go?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to (hopefully) making this forum a second home
Old 07-23-13, 05:48 AM
Rphilip
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmret
I'm thinking of buying a 3rd gen GS. Main reason is that I'm going to need something with 4 doors and usable back seats soon (have a CLK550 now, fantastic car but don't relish the thought of trying to manage a baby seat back there).

Also after owning two MBs and a BMW, I'm kind of sick of temperamental cars (even if they are fantastic when all is good in the world) and I just want something that will run like clockwork for 300k+ kms. Less headaches, the better and with kids I probably won't have time nor energy to debug my car.

Couple of questions:

-Reliability issues to look out for? Valve spring recall on 350s? Anything on the 460s?
-Common interior issues like rattles or electrical stuff?
-Any stories of nav screen touch-function dying like with the IS350?
-What kind of difference in fuel economy can I expect between an AWD 350 and a RWD 460? Around here, the V8s are priced really really close to the V6s. Sometimes cheaper, weirdly.
-What kind of oil change intervals are you guys seeing? Could I run ~15000km changes using good quality synthetic or should I just stick to 8km and whatever dino 5W-30 is on sale at the time?
-How picky about oil are Toyota/Lexus engines about oil type compared to MB/BMW? I am loaded to the gills with M1 0W-40 ... I have to drive 40 minutes away to find a source of the stuff that doesn't cost a fortune.

One big one - this is what's keeping the 2012+ TL in contention:
-Can I get a stroller in the back along with "baby stuff"?? The trunk opening looks pretty annoying ....
-I assume TWO strollers (or one of those twin strollers...I dunno...I haven't looked into this kids thing very much yet haha) is a no-go?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to (hopefully) making this forum a second home

Hi Mmret, Like you I have a little one. I drive a '07 GS 350 and I find the car has plenty of room for the car seat. Also a buddy who is 6'-1" can easily sit infront of the car seat without a problem on the passenger side. The trunk space is also large enough for a stroller. I have a heavy duty 3 wheel jogger type and it fits in the trunk fine without taking the wheels off. I will admit I have way more room in my '99 GS300 , that trunk swallows the stroller, but the GS 350 is doable. Like you I had my fair share of BMW's and I do love how they drive ,just I am not a fan of there tempermental ways.

And now that I have a son, having a car that may or may not break down on any given day is unnacceptable. I just don't want to risk that with my wife and son. As far as the issues mentioned I have not had any. I am very happy with my purchase , and the reliability is so much better than that of BMW and MB. Lexus is a solid luxury car that I have grown to love and cherish. My daily driver '99 GS300 still drives butter smooth and has 202k miles on her.My GS 350 just hit 80k miles and runs strong as a bull! I can say that with confidence and with my chest poking out, I wish I could say the same for my past BMW's. After 130k miles , the nickle and diming became painfully mind numbing.
Old 07-23-13, 07:08 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Same here, plenty of room for my 5 year old and 4 month old!
Old 07-23-13, 01:18 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 6 month old twins and fit the following without issues:

Rear Seats:
2 Chicco KeyFit 30 baby seats
One in middle position belted in, one on passenger side using LATCH because I'm 6'3 and they fit MUCH better going center and side. A nice benefit is that you can carry a 5th passenger behind the driver's seat! Works great when the babies are screaming (wet, hungry, sleepy, etc.)... the wife goes to the back seat and we can continue on!
1 Front seat Diaper bag

Trunk:
1 Pack N Play
1 Baby Jogger City Select Stroller with 2 clip-in seats (LOOK THIS ONE UP, IT FOLDS INTO ALMOST NOTHING!!! Lots of research went into this purchase.
1 Big *** wife bag full of wife stuff (big Vera Bradley bag)
1 Backpack
1 12 pack cooler
2 bottle bags
1 bag of miscellaneous toys
1 play pad
1 Boppy
1 Towel bag
1 Backup baby diaper bag
I could go on... but it all fits. Have done this scenario plenty of times.
Old 07-29-13, 06:34 AM
Rphilip
Rookie

HAHAHA.... looks like we all have had our fair share with kids and there stuff fitting into our Gs. Hope MMret that is enough evidence for you.
Old 07-30-13, 02:16 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are 7, 8 and 9 and not getting any smaller, but all fit just fine in the backseat of the GS. My trunk is a little compromised with my 12" JL setup, but if I need serious room for stuff I'm takin the Suburban anyway.