GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Seat Noise Coming From Driver's Seat

Old 06-26-13, 08:10 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Noise Coming From Driver's Seat

Hi CL,

I did a search and wasn't sure if this problem was talked about. I noticed some threads discussing "squeaks" but the noise I'm hearing can best be described as a clunking or ticking kind of sound.

I notice that when there's stress on the seat (e.g. going over speed bumps, making turns, especially when there's an incline/decline), I hear a clunking or ticking sound. I'm not 100% sure it's the seat (thought it might be the suspension) but the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it's the seat.

As per this thread, it looks like it may be TSB NV001-06 MAY 06 Interior - Front Seat Squeaking Noise.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and if what I'm describing sounds like the same problem addressed with this TSB. I found this link for instructions on how to fix it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...s-nv001-06.pdf.

If anyone has done this fix before, can someone please clarify step 5A and 5B for me? Which part are you supposed to cut off? The text says to cut off the seat locator pins to 2mm but the diagram is pointing at some metal piece that is attached to the seat locator pin. Or am I reading this wrong? Does anyone have any input on the matter? I've never done anything like this before so I'm a bit apprehensive and want to get as much information as possible before I attempt to do something like take out my seat!
Old 06-28-13, 08:37 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Clunking sounds in cars is almost always due to loose bolts. Check the bolts that hold the seat to the floor and tighten them.
Old 06-28-13, 10:29 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had a 3GS, I had this exact issue. Luckily still under warranty, though. Their first shot at the repair, they performed this exact process. I was under the impression that they cut the locating pins off but you're right, the illustrations are bit confusing.

Regardless, this didn't fix the problem so it was a bit of a waste of time. In the end, they ended up replacing the entire seat track. It was pretty pricey but again, luckily I was in warranty still. And most importantly, solved my clicking problem.
Old 06-29-13, 07:31 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong350
When I had a 3GS, I had this exact issue. Luckily still under warranty, though. Their first shot at the repair, they performed this exact process. I was under the impression that they cut the locating pins off but you're right, the illustrations are bit confusing.

Regardless, this didn't fix the problem so it was a bit of a waste of time. In the end, they ended up replacing the entire seat track. It was pretty pricey but again, luckily I was in warranty still. And most importantly, solved my clicking problem.
Ouch, that sounds like that would be an expensive repair. Or at the very least the part itself probably won't be cheap.

BinaryJay, I think I tried tightening the bolts earlier in the year but that didn't solve the problem. I think it may be squeaking that I'm hearing as if I move around forcefully in my seat, I do hear squeaks, but when I'm just sitting passively, it sounds more like ticking or clunking noise.

I think I will try the locating pins repair once I work up the courage to try it, and if that doesn't work then I'll just turn up my radio when I'm driving over bumps (it's usually up anyway to drown out the rattles).
Old 05-22-16, 09:22 AM
deltabravo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back from the dead. Does anyone know if this is applicable to newer models? My 2011 has a driver's seat 'clunk' that's driving me batty.
Old 05-22-16, 09:46 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by deltabravo
Back from the dead. Does anyone know if this is applicable to newer models? My 2011 has a driver's seat 'clunk' that's driving me batty.
Mine did have something similiar almost like loose gap and it would clunk. I adjusted the back bottom and it went away right away.

My theory is maybe the seat gearing somehow developed a void space from wear.
Old 05-22-16, 12:37 PM
deltabravo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may or may not have fixed my issue.

I read the TSIB about locating pins, and lifted the front of the seat to see if they still use them in 2011. Yep they do, but they have a plastic cap over them now so I highly doubt that they clunk, rattle or squeak. However I also noticed that the hole for the mounting bolt has a flange on the bottom side, presumably to allow a bit of space for the carpeting while also creating a metal-to-metal mounting contact point. The flange is only as thick as the material the base is made from, so maybe 1/8". That means the metal-to-metal contact is all of 1/8" wide, which I thought might be a prime candidate for making noise even with the slightest of movement. So I loosened then retightened all 4 seat mounting bolts. Really, really tightened, with 1/2" socket and a nice long breaker bar. Took a spin and I think the noise is gone.