GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine light/ 02 sensors/ecu problem HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 07:07 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine light/ 02 sensors/ecu problem HELP!!

Ok, so i went to the dealer back and forth over the last month because my check engine light has been coming on. Looooong story short the initial diagnostic was a gas cap, paid for that and left the dealer. One day after getting the car back the check engine light comes on again, take it back and now they're saying i need both downstream oxygen sensors (02 sensors) and a ECU. I don't understand maybe someone can help. Is this a common issue for these cars or do you guys think I can just replace the 02 sensors and call it a day? That ECU was priced at $1050 from sewell and those oxygen sensors aren't cheap either. BTW my car is an 06 GS 300 AWD with 68k miles. any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-13, 08:24 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What CEL codes you are getting? Go to any natl parts store like Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. and get them read for free.

FWIW - rarely (if ever) does more than one O2 sensor go at a time unless there is an issue upstream fouling them both or causing both to report outside of normal operation. Yes, they do go bad but understand their 'function' is to only report when what they sense (a la sniffing the exhaust as is the case) is out of parameter. It could be bad or they could be sensing something not right (particularly since more than one tripped at once) i.e. if all 4 report fault, the issue won't be all 4 but rather something upstream like the MAF.

When multiple O2 codes are thrown, it's only a starting point as where to look for further diagnosis. Odd both of yours are post catalytic converter.

I'd start by getting all the codes read and then reporting them back here. Also check the wiring to each (melted or gnawed by rodents) and then using a multi-meter to test each of them (no need to remove - disconnect the plug). If the ECU was bad you'd likely have many more codes thrown than just those for the B1S2 and B2S2 O2 sensors.

Now, should they be bad after testing and you want to change them yourself, you can pick them up locally at a parts store (again, I wouldn't do this until you find out what codes are thrown and what the real issue is). In any event, do not get generic ones insist on either Denso or Bosch and you want them w/ plug already attached. Advance Auto also has a tool loaner program w/ 3 socket options for DIY. You buy the kit for ~ $30 and if you return it w/in 30 days you get a full refund.

Good luck

PS - w/ a 98 GS you'll have better help posting this in the 2GS forum not here in the 3GS
The following users liked this post:
SanyGS (08-07-19)
Old 06-11-13, 08:40 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, if in fact you have a 2GS, the ECU problem is usually related to dried-up capacitors. It should be all over that forum and a lot of guys do it themselves. Check over there.
Old 06-11-13, 10:56 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He has a 3GS
BTW my car is an 06 GS 300 AWD with 68k miles
I completely agree with BurgBoxstr. Try these recommendations first. The odds of both going back are highly unlikely. In fact, i would write teh codes down and immediately erase them and see if they return or not. Good luck
Old 06-11-13, 11:13 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TWong350
He has a 3GS

I completely agree with BurgBoxstr. Try these recommendations first. The odds of both going back are highly unlikely. In fact, i would write teh codes down and immediately erase them and see if they return or not. Good luck
Yea thanks for the help guys, the car is a 2006 I tried to change my signature but I couldn't find the option.

Yea the only code it threw the other day was p0138 oxygen sensor I didn't get it checked since it came back on today ill go by advance and check it. They did mention that one of the sensors had wires taped so maybe I need to start with that one before doing both. I'm going to put it on a lift tomorrow so ill be able to tell which side that's taped if not both.

I priced the NGK sensors which seem to be significantly lower than the Denso factory ones. Do you guys recommend the NGK or should I just stick with the factory ones from Sewell? Thanks
Old 06-11-13, 12:18 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong350
He has a 3GS
LOL - sorry, thought I read that but then as I hit Submit Reply I saw the '98 in the sig and thought uh oh. I was foiled trying to be efficient...

Originally Posted by phat32
Yea thanks for the help guys, the car is a 2006 I tried to change my signature but I couldn't find the option.

Yea the only code it threw the other day was p0138 oxygen sensor I didn't get it checked since it came back on today ill go by advance and check it. They did mention that one of the sensors had wires taped so maybe I need to start with that one before doing both. I'm going to put it on a lift tomorrow so ill be able to tell which side that's taped if not both.

I priced the NGK sensors which seem to be significantly lower than the Denso factory ones. Do you guys recommend the NGK or should I just stick with the factory ones from Sewell? Thanks
Go w/ either Denso or Bosch and either will be fine - no need for 'factory' ones from Sewell (which BTW will just be repacked Denso).

Yeah, taped wires... that'll do it too... (thus my recommendation to get ones w/ the plug already attached).

FWIW - P0138 = B1S2 sensor... as seated in car, right side post cat sensor. Don't replace it until you know what the cause of your problem is b/c again the sensor is only reporting conditions outside of parameter not that it's bad.

Good luck
Old 06-11-13, 01:51 PM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
LOL - sorry, thought I read that but then as I hit Submit Reply I saw the '98 in the sig and thought uh oh. I was foiled trying to be efficient...
Go w/ either Denso or Bosch and either will be fine - no need for 'factory' ones from Sewell (which BTW will just be repacked Denso).
Yeah, taped wires... that'll do it too... (thus my recommendation to get ones w/ the plug already attached).
FWIW - P0138 = B1S2 sensor... as seated in car, right side post cat sensor. Don't replace it until you know what the cause of your problem is b/c again the sensor is only reporting conditions outside of parameter not that it's bad.
Good luck
Quick question how can I test the 02 sensor, with the meter?? Also what is a MAF? This y pipe on my car was damaged previously so it may be in result of this but I want to make sure. If I replace the right side maybe that will fix the issue ill check into it when I get it on the lift.

Thanks
Old 06-11-13, 02:19 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I would take it back to the dealer! It sounds like you have carbon buildup issues. On 2006 GS300's the engines are direct injection. With this design it is more prone to collecting carbon deposits therefore killing your o2 sensor.

The dealer is rebuilding all these engines as good faith, even if your warranty has expired or even mileage. The will rebuild the engine. Goodluck!

BTW theres a sticky on this issue
Old 06-27-13, 06:25 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Yea it keeps throwing the code for the right o2 sensor... when i put the car on the lift i couldn't see the plug where it supposed to connect to the harness. does anyone know of a DIY write up for the replacement. the wires just seem to dissapear withing a hole under the car. thanks
Old 06-28-13, 08:26 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this exact thing done, but under warranty. There is a TSB for this where they change both downstream sensors to a new type but also requires ECU replacement to accommodate the new sensor type.

Not sure why they can't just flash the old sensor, but whatever.

The TSB applies to specific occurrences of codes that signify the voltage out of the O2 sensors is not in the correct range.
Old 06-28-13, 08:28 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea it keeps throwing the code for the right o2 sensor... when i put the car on the lift i couldn't see the plug where it supposed to connect to the harness. does anyone know of a DIY write up for the replacement. the wires just seem to dissapear withing a hole under the car. thanks
The rear O2 sensors harnesses are behind/under the front seat beneath the carpet for the driver side, and near the center console in the passenger footwell on the passenger side.
Old 06-30-13, 01:11 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick question how can I test the 02 sensor, with the meter?? Also what is a MAF? This y pipe on my car was damaged previously so it may be in result of this but I want to make sure. If I replace the right side maybe that will fix the issue ill check into it when I get it on the lift.

Thanks
Here's the static test.
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine light/ 02 sensors/ecu problem HELP!!-o2-sens.jpg  
Old 12-03-13, 03:09 PM
dmitryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you resolve it? I just got a service note from the dealer that i need 2 oxygen sensors and new ECU.
Old 01-18-14, 11:38 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Just got hit with this same thing on my 2006 GS.

Is there a TSB? Not trying to pay over $2000 for this.
Old 01-18-14, 02:52 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Note that O2 sensors eventually fail....if you have driven for a long time with no code, the sensor simply may have failed, both sensors are subject to a lot of heat. Note that the downstream sensor is for emissions purposes only, the primary sensor does need to be fixed or you are chugging gas...

Quick Reply: Check Engine light/ 02 sensors/ecu problem HELP!!