GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looking to replace my GS350 AWD, Suggestions?

Old 07-02-13, 05:41 PM
98GS430
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

LexToy3, I have always been a Lexus/Toyota guy. This was my 5th Lexus, 2 GS400's, One GS300, one SC430, and the GS350. This was easily the worst of the bunch. I finally sold it as itleft a bad taste in my mouth. What ultimately did it in was reliability. We buy Lexus's because we want luxury, reliability, and and to a lesser extent performance.

My car had the camshaft actuators and front wheel bearings replaced within weeks of each other. My passenger side headlamp worked intermittently and a new bulb didnt fix the problem. The backup camera started working intermittently, finally the car developed a misfire at idle which really worried me. I bought the car second hand from an older couple which babied it. All service records from day one at the dealer. Add all this to the countless rattles in the dash, moonroof, and door panels and it became very annoying. Worst of all I lost confidence in the car to operate day to day.

Early 3GS's have many issues as have been documented. I bought the car anyway because I felt that Lexus still made the best cars, in this case I was wrong. I purchased a G37s coupe and couldnt be happier. Yes the interior isnt as nice, the car isnt as quiet, but the performance blows the GS away. Before you flame me I know its a different type of car, but the sad part is its been more reliable thus far. No rattles, no misfires, no unusual noises from the drivetrain etc. I still love Lexus cars, and perhaps I will revisit them once the 4GS depreciates a little more. For now, i'm on to an Infiniti.
Old 07-02-13, 05:48 PM
98GS430
Pole Position

Forgot to mention two failed water pumps as well. Anyway, I bought a G37s! Hope to still cruise the forums and be back for an IS-F/4GS in a couple years.
Old 07-03-13, 06:38 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

98GS430,

How did you like those Tourmaline wheels on your Lexus?

You buy them at the Lexus dealer?
Old 07-03-13, 02:27 PM
98GS430
Pole Position

The Tourmaline wheels are great I highly recommend them. Really give the car some presence, much better then the horrible factory 17" wheels. They actually came on the car I didnt buy them. You should be able to find a set easily on ebay. The G-Spider wheels are very nice too.
Old 07-03-13, 02:47 PM
adrianwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been plagued with minor issues on my 2008 3GS AWD. Returned everything to stock, and spent thousand trying to figure out suspension vibration and wobble. Replaced LCA, all mounts, bushings, hubs, end links, differential, transmission fluids and still no solution.

I spent numerous years with Audi and thought that the Lexus would be the all encompassing dream vehicle in regards to power, size, reliability and looks.

Sold it after test driving over a dozen different vehicles, i needed a car that would excite all my senses with uncompromising technology.

I placed an order for a limited production 2014 BMW 335i M Performance Edition. Build started last week, and will be taking delivery end of August.

Comes with no upgrade options since everything is standard.

I've contributed a lot of my experience to many users on this forum and am truly sad to go.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to replace my GS350 AWD, Suggestions?-bmw-335i-performance_600x0w.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
335 M Performance Edition-1.pdf (374.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 07-03-13, 03:56 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrianwong
I too have been plagued with minor issues on my 2008 3GS AWD. Returned everything to stock, and spent thousand trying to figure out suspension vibration and wobble. Replaced LCA, all mounts, bushings, hubs, end links, differential, transmission fluids and still no solution.
In all fairness, the AWD 3GS in stock form as sent to you from the factory was not the problem. The problem was after you modified it. I understand your frustration, as I also have an AWD, but you can't blame Lexus for those issues.
Old 07-04-13, 06:37 PM
adrianwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jre002
In all fairness, the AWD 3GS in stock form as sent to you from the factory was not the problem. The problem was after you modified it. I understand your frustration, as I also have an AWD, but you can't blame Lexus for those issues.
Work on the geometry started from day one as the lexus mechanics also verified there was an issue with a wobble with many customers that just couldn't be fixed. It was definitely more apparent on some than others.

Fabrication of custom balanced driveshafts and axles only lessened the issues. Prior to the coilovers.....

Yet again I'm amazed that through all the help I've presented this community as an engineer, I still come across guys who believe they know better cause they happen to own the same vehicle.

Another reason to stay off the forums and just drive....
Old 07-04-13, 07:01 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianwong

I spent numerous years with Audi and thought that the Lexus would be the all encompassing dream vehicle in regards to power, size, reliability and looks.

Sold it after test driving over a dozen different vehicles, i needed a car that would excite all my senses with uncompromising technology.

I placed an order for a limited production 2014 BMW 335i M Performance Edition. Build started last week, and will be taking delivery end of August.

Comes with no upgrade options since everything is standard.

I've contributed a lot of my experience to many users on this forum and am truly sad to go.
Beautiful car! Congrats
Old 07-05-13, 08:10 AM
98GS430
Pole Position

Beautiful 335 Adrian!

@JRE002 you're right that Lexus didnt create the problem when the car was modded, just curious but what do the rest of the members feel about issues like mine? My car isnt unique.

Is is acceptable to have the camshaft actuators, water pump, front wheel bearings, passenger headlamp, replaced within weeks of each other? Add that too all the rattle problems (dash, moonroof, door panels), intermittent work of the backup camera, and a misfire at idle.

I'll be honest and say I was drinking the Kool-Aid for a long time, but thats not acceptable from any car let alone a Lexus. I hope the 4GS's are better, love the look and performance upgrades of that model. My 3GS left much to be desired personally, hope all of yours are better!
Old 07-05-13, 12:19 PM
JDM396
Driver School Candidate

I have two close friends with an Infinity, they have had all sorts of weird problems with them, from Camshaft sensors going out every 6 months to drivetrain problems that won't quit. I steered away from them for this reason recently and bought a GS460, couldn't be happier.
Old 07-05-13, 10:44 PM
adrianwong
Driver School Candidate

That's right, forgot about the camshaft actuator clatter, vsc light, condensing headlights, cracked water pump and fuel line leaks.....

Contrary to What most people say, my Audi TT has been most reliable going strong at 300,000+ Kms with no issues. Least reliable was my brand new 2010 Honda Odyssey back at the dealer 9 times in the first year.

I still believe that all vehicles are build within set tolerances, but No two cars even in the same production run are exactly the same.

Last edited by adrianwong; 07-06-13 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 06:46 AM
JDM396
Driver School Candidate

Naturally, there will always be variables with every maker but it's a numbers game. I also looked long and hard at the 335 before I bought, but the BMW forums are littered with complaints about fuel pumps and turbos that won't last. BMW dragged it's feet something fierce for many years before they would warranty the turbos or fuel pump. Possibly they have fixed the problems with the new single turbo setup but we will see. Beautiful cars though.