GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 06:07 PM
xman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***

Well like many other owners I recently developed wet carpets in the back and damp carpets up front. After searching the forums I saw how common the problem was and TSB's that addressed the issue. Although I could drop the tranny and gain access to the plug as posted in the DIY by another member it seemed as if there was a better way. Well this is what I did and it took all of 20 mins start to finish with no unbolting of the exhaust, tranny or drive shaft.

After driving the car up on ramps I removed the black plastic cover from under the tranny held by 4 screws and 2 plastic nuts. Then used a lighted inspection camera with a flex head to see the plug. I purchased the camera from Harbor Freight Tools for 80 bucks. Next I used 11 inch long needle nose pliers with a right angle tip. With my left hand I snaked the flex tip camera up and over the tranny from the pass side just above the shift linkage. Then with my right hand I was able to get my arm up between the suspension and catalytic converter with the pliers. Keeping the camera focused on the plug I was able to guide my pliers to the plug and remove it.

I let the car run for 10 mins with the windows up and the AC on high to confirm that water was now coming from the drain. With my car long out of warranty this would have been an out of pocket expense. Just for safe measure I am going to pull the rear seat bottom and the front seats to remove the carpet. This allow me to clean the carpet thoroughly and spray lysol underneath to kill any possible mold spores as I am not sure how long the water had been there.

Hopefully this will help others. SInce its doesn't take very long to complete I would recommend others with 2006-2007 GS or IS cars do it as preventative maintenance. It can save alot of headaches and potential dangerous mold from forming in the carpets. With the factory mats covered with rubber underneath this can go undetected for quite a while.
The following 2 users liked this post by xman:
enshiu (09-23-20), Idorablo (09-23-20)
Old 05-28-13, 06:18 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 751 Likes on 647 Posts

See I knew there had to be a "trick to it" Good Job!
Old 05-28-13, 06:59 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you just leave the plug out once it is removed? What is the model # of that camera you have? Been looking to get one and this seems like a good reason. Thanks for your input
Old 05-28-13, 08:24 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The plug must have been put there for a reason, so I wonder what side effect your car will experience with it removed...just curious.
Old 05-28-13, 09:02 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
The plug must have been put there for a reason, so I wonder what side effect your car will experience with it removed...just curious.
Dry passenger floors would be one....

I'm guessing the grommet is just that - a seal for the drain tube. Thus whatever it may have been keeping out (water, exhaust, noise etc) however minimal, could now get in.. Is it something to worry about, maybe/probably not. I wouldn't say one way or another without seeing it myself.

Well done OP.

PS, were you able to perform this on floor ramps/jacks?

Cheers
Old 05-28-13, 09:20 PM
xman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by burny
Do you just leave the plug out once it is removed? What is the model # of that camera you have? Been looking to get one and this seems like a good reason. Thanks for your input
If you go to the Harbor Freight tool site it is the inspection camera listed for 83 bucks on sale right now. Neat tool I'm sure I will find other uses for.

Yes you do just leave the plug out once removed. Based on where its located I doubt seriously that anything will cause it to clog again. The TSB from Lexus advises techs to do the exact same thing by just removing the plug when this problem arises.
Old 05-28-13, 09:30 PM
xman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Dry passenger floors would be one....

I'm guessing the grommet is just that - a seal for the drain tube. Thus whatever it may have been keeping out (water, exhaust, noise etc) however minimal, could now get in.. Is it something to worry about, maybe/probably not. I wouldn't say one way or another without seeing it myself.

Well done OP.

PS, were you able to perform this on floor ramps/jacks?

Cheers
All was done in my driveway on simple Autozone type drive up ramps. I'm not worried about the grommet being removed now. If Lexus advises its service technicians to pull it via the TSB for this issue specifically I'm sure it will be fine. The only difference is my technique achieved the same result in far less time. The TSB with repair instructions is in a another thread if anyone wants to reference it.
Old 05-28-13, 09:34 PM
tthomas543
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I can vouch that leaving it off works. I live in Texas and its humid so my carpet was soaked. I was able to see the garment without a camera. It is at a weird angle but trust me you can see it if you look at the right angle. Also I tired poking at the drain and it did nothing so I just took it off
Old 05-28-13, 09:40 PM
xman
Driver School Candidate

tthomas

Did you pull up your carpets afterwards to reduce mold and mildew? That is my plan for this weekend. I have not done it before but looking for any tips on getting the carpet out in one piece.
Old 05-29-13, 03:24 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 751 Likes on 647 Posts

Turn on your heater to full blast and switch the vent to carpet. Keep the windows closed and do this for about 30min to an hour. This will get your carpets super hot and dry off the carpet. Then open all the windows and let it air out on a nice warm day.
Old 05-29-13, 04:28 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Thanks OP for this DIY
Old 05-29-13, 04:41 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

thanks for the info. Just wondering if a mouse or snake can get its way in there and do harm.
Old 05-29-13, 10:27 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing this today!!! Thank you so much!!! Harbor freight has that camera on sale. $75!! Ill post pix later

Old 05-29-13, 03:40 PM
tangokim
Driver School Candidate

can someone going to do this please take a quick picture for us to see. i really want to do this since my ac not draining at all...thank you in advance
Old 05-29-13, 03:48 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I was gonna do it today, but my neck is screwed up.

Quick Reply: ***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***