GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car starting to burn oil.... is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 02:29 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still nothing from lexus canada....

Cars burns about 1 quart every 1500km's.
If I dont add oil, I get the low engine oil light come on every 3000km's which I find needs to add 2+ quarts to fill back up.
Old 08-28-13, 02:57 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by charmz
Still nothing from lexus canada....

Cars burns about 1 quart every 1500km's.
If I dont add oil, I get the low engine oil light come on every 3000km's which I find needs to add 2+ quarts to fill back up.
Are you at least doing something about it?

You can always run a can of and half seafoam through the intake manifold everytime you add oil. It only takes 30min to run through and slowly it should break down the carbon buildup. I did this on my gs350 and its running a lot smoother seems like I had a little carbon buildup aswell.

What I did was let the engine warm up to operating temp. found a vacuum line near the throttle body. With the engine running let the motor suck up half the bottle. Then I turn off the engine so that the chemical have a time to soak into the carbon 10min or so. Then I run the engine for about 2-3 min and add more seafoam finishing the bottle. I would let that settle as well and not drive the car for atleast 3-4 hours. Then let the car sit at idle for about 10min to fully clear out the chemicals, and then drive it hard afterwards.

After doing this my car used to have a very slight hesitation which I thought was because of the AWD. Turns out it had carbon buildup, I noticed this when I went to clean out the throttle body aswell.
Old 08-28-13, 03:03 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

i ran seafoam through it, while it idles a bit better (my idle really isnt that bad to begin with) it seems to burn more oil since i did it....

i also have had my mechanic clean my throttle body 2 times since owning the car.

the car runs decent, but is consuming alot of oil.... and just getting worse.
Old 08-28-13, 04:54 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

My 2007 AWD with 110k is doing the same thing (burning about 1qt. every 1500 miles) As a matter of fact, the chatter noise on start up has returned also....It's was repaired once while under the CPO warranty but that was about 1.5 years/ 30k ago.

I will contact Lexus once I get stateside to see what's up and if there is not a cheap fix, I'm moving on from the brand as well.
Old 08-28-13, 06:26 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
My 2007 AWD with 110k is doing the same thing (burning about 1qt. every 1500 miles) As a matter of fact, the chatter noise on start up has returned also....It's was repaired once while under the CPO warranty but that was about 1.5 years/ 30k ago.

I will contact Lexus once I get stateside to see what's up and if there is not a cheap fix, I'm moving on from the brand as well.
My 2007GSAWD 90K miles burns about 1/4 QT every 1K miles. So I shouldn't complain.
Also noticed oil consumption doesn't start after 2K miles after an oil change.
Lexus is not going to do anything unlessthe engine consumes more than a QT in 600 miles.
Darn, my 89 Accord & 92 Acura didn't burn any oil until the enigne got more than 180K miles.
Old 09-13-13, 10:02 AM
saeda
Driver School Candidate

My "07 LS 460 burns oil also. The dealer overhaul the engine back in June. Drives like brand new. My next schedule oil change it was totally empty. Now they did another oil change and tell me to drive it and return at 1,000 miles. I have another 400 miles left. Will let ya'll know what happen. I have 80,000 miles right now. I really love my car and does not have any major issues until now.
Old 09-13-13, 11:33 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a recall for the burning oil/rough idle issue - also check the piston guides when completing the recall, as they will contribute to the issue after the service has been completed...
Old 09-13-13, 08:02 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by saeda
My "07 LS 460 burns oil also. The dealer overhaul the engine back in June. Drives like brand new. My next schedule oil change it was totally empty. Now they did another oil change and tell me to drive it and return at 1,000 miles. I have another 400 miles left. Will let ya'll know what happen. I have 80,000 miles right now. I really love my car and does not have any major issues until now.
Yikes! You should definitely hit up the LS460 forums and see if any other users are getting the same problems. If oil is completely empty, your low oil light should have come on, on top of that, you should have left the car there for Lexus to take apart and fix again, sounds like they messed something up during the overhaul. GL!

Originally Posted by ryan78
there is a recall for the burning oil/rough idle issue - also check the piston guides when completing the recall, as they will contribute to the issue after the service has been completed...
Are you referring to the LS 460 above?
Old 09-14-13, 04:38 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Yikes! You should definitely hit up the LS460 forums and see if any other users are getting the same problems. If oil is completely empty, your low oil light should have come on, on top of that, you should have left the car there for Lexus to take apart and fix again, sounds like they messed something up during the overhaul. GL!

Are you referring to the LS 460 above?
no, sorry. Just the GS. didn't read the whole thread...lol
Old 09-14-13, 06:08 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a lot less km than you, only 109,000 km. Also, we are lucky if we drive the car 3000 km in a whole year... so I have no idea if the car burns oil or not but it has had all of the symptoms now and in the past (was previously "fixed" with a valve spring replacement job (this was not the recall of the 350s) and then later they came out with the top engine clean).

The latest fad for the issue is the piston rings, but so far nobody will help me. One dealership would not help me before I paid them $700 for a compression test first even though I had the symptoms and the misfire codes stored. Another one seems willing to help but they told me not to bother bringing the car to them without the check engine light on and having the misfire codes... of course, my car refuses to set the check engine light even though I often do find pending misfire codes.

Very frustrating... but like OP I don't really want to sell the car, I invested too much into it in terms of preventative maintenance, brand new summer and winter tires/wheels. It still looks great and for the most part drives great... wouldn't mind an SUV but don't even know what I would really WANT to move to. I really do not have a lot of confidence with Lexus at this point (or Toyota by extension) but sadly I probably would still trust them over the european brands. That being said, their SUV model line does not do anything for me... I really do not like the RX, the GX/LX are very expensive and way too big. I dunno... maybe I just have to get a Sienna and go dig myself my grave.

Latest issue is that suddenly the car has been softly squeaking/squaling (very softly) whether in drive or in park, somewhere around 2500 rpm on accelerating or decelerating or just revving the engine. It isn't consistent, seems to be worse when cold and then lessons when the car is warmed up.

I am hoping it is just a worn drive belt -- after all it is like 8 years old now, or the idler pulley (I recall my previous car a Matrix XRS had a pulley that made to my memory the same noises once in a while). I also remember they wanted like $300+ to replace the part and I couldn't figure out why it was so expensive.

Going to have to have it looked at because it's driving me nuts.
Old 09-14-13, 08:49 AM
XxGoKoUxX

call Lexus corporate, they'll order the service for you, no compression tests needed lol
Old 09-14-13, 08:54 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You guys in Canada need to team up and hire a lawyer to do a class action law suit on Lexus of Canada
Old 09-14-13, 10:10 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You guys in Canada need to team up and hire a lawyer to do a class action law suit on Lexus of Canada
That's an American past time not really our style.

By the way, about the noise I complained about in my post below I updated this thread hopefully with good news.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hirping-2.html

call Lexus corporate, they'll order the service for you, no compression tests needed lol
Corporate Lexus in Canada seems much different than in the US. In my experience they have never got in between the customer and the dealer and their responses are always along the lines of "you have to take it up with the dealership". I may try complaining to them one more time before the special warranty runs out though, in the meantime I'll just hope for a check engine light so I can go about it "normally".
Old 09-14-13, 09:16 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
That's an American past time not really our style.

By the way, about the noise I complained about in my post below I updated this thread hopefully with good news.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hirping-2.html

Corporate Lexus in Canada seems much different than in the US. In my experience they have never got in between the customer and the dealer and their responses are always along the lines of "you have to take it up with the dealership". I may try complaining to them one more time before the special warranty runs out though, in the meantime I'll just hope for a check engine light so I can go about it "normally".
ibidu's right, but it seriously doesn't sound Canadian, you folks are soo nice that even family guy makes fun of you for it, "Here, take my snowmobile and my leg!" LOL.

Definitely try to complain to corporate and tell them," hey, I switched to Lexus hoping for a great experience on my car purchase, but if corporate doesn't want to listen to the customer's ordeal, and they keep pushing us to the dealerships, I may jump ship to another company."

It is what it is.... Down here in the US, things are 1000% different.... That diagnosis fee, if it is indeed your engine going bad under a recall, would be waived otherwise.

Either way, GL to you Jay... I think our cars are starting to get seasoned with troublesome recalls and breakdown.... *sigh*
Old 09-15-13, 09:28 AM
BinaryJay

ibidu's right, but it seriously doesn't sound Canadian, you folks are soo nice that even family guy makes fun of you for it, "Here, take my snowmobile and my leg!" LOL.
Shut up you stupid.

Quick Reply: Car starting to burn oil.... is it time to move on?