GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Toyota Dealer or Lexus Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 07:38 AM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Dealer or Lexus Dealer?

Hello all. I have a 2006 Lexus GS 300 Sedan with about 150,700 miles on it. Havent had any problems at all from it except a lil gas cap issue but other than that shes treated me good. Oh and sometimes the dash rattles but the Mark Levinson sound system makes up for that lol. But anyway I was wondering do any of you all go to the Toyota Dealer to get your car serviced? Is that a good idea? I know Toyota makes Lexus so I really dont see the problem but then again I know Lexus is more high end than Toyota. I need my 150,00 Mile Service done and Lexus Dealer wants 775$ to do that. But I went to Totota Dealer and they want 395$ for the 150,000 mile service. So does anyone recommend Toyota Dealers ? Has anyone had any bad experience with that? I just want a few opinions about this. Thanks a lot guys
Old 05-02-13, 07:46 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you can go to toyota. many have because its cheaper.
Old 05-02-13, 08:49 AM
MCCR
Driver

its a no brainer. doesn't matter if its high end. the techs will work on it the same.
Old 05-02-13, 09:09 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all come down to the tech working on your car. imo Lexus tech have more experience. Toyota do have a few good tech.
Old 05-02-13, 10:53 AM
LexFather

We get this question tons. I prefer Lexus dealers (specifically Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett) and we have a relationship. They have gone above and beyond for me when I needed it as I have spent good $$$$$$$$ there and supporting them. A person going there helps them take up for you if a problem arises out of warranty etc. The first thing they look at are service records. If you resell the car it helps you when the car is maintained at the dealer.

I can't even say in my experience thousands are saved going to Toyota or elsewhere. I do know people happy with this option so I won't knock it at all.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-02-13, 01:22 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealerships = stealerships , support your local small business owners !!!
Old 05-02-13, 08:24 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

I head to the Toyota dealership to save $$. Figured they see huge volume of Toyota's and know/have the experience/resources to tap if they get stumped.

If there is something that cant be done correctly at the Toyota dealership (whatever that may be), I would assume they would let me know. In that case a dedicated Lexus dealership would make sense....but again, hard to think of a situation where that would occur.

I agree there is variability between mechanics...but that is true no matter where you go.
Old 05-02-13, 09:25 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Toyota service definitely. At Lexus your not paying extra for special service, your paying for the amenities that they offer. All the work and parts at either dealership are the same.
Old 05-03-13, 06:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Some area's like up here don't have a clue about Lexus cars. I asked a tech at Toyota something on my dad's navigation, it took him about an hour to figure it out. This is my experience and why I would never bring my car to Toyota. Also I'm like Blueprint I have a great relationship with my dealership and usually I get discounts here and there I've never paid dealer price.
Old 05-13-13, 12:58 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I take my car to toyota for oil changes only any major maintenance will go to lexus.

I compared the spark plugm aintenance and the prices were almost the same. Lexus was 10 or 20 dollars higher.

rogzballz - i agree with supporting local shops unless you plan on selling your car. when you get work done at local shops, it does not show up on the maintenance records.
Old 05-14-13, 10:15 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

I used the Toyota dealership across the street from Lexus if the Lexus service department got stupid with me on a quote. I've never been disappointed by the Toyota dealership. In my opinion, they are always friendlier and more appreciative of my business. The Lexus dealership always acted like they were doing me the honor of taking my money and servicing my car. Granted, that was my dealership (Lexus of Tampa Bay). When I took it for service at Lexus of Pembroke Pines, it was a much better experience. I actually didn't like my service advisor, and asked to change them, but they have some strange loyalties there. They would always try to link me back up with the same advisor.

Difference of course, is the much nicer amenities at the dealership if you are waiting and the availability/quality of loaner cars.
Old 05-14-13, 12:01 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

We use our local Toyota dealer for routine service our 2010, and it's not unusual to see other Lexus in there (RX's, GX's and ES's). We pay less than half what we would at Lexus for the same services. We still get the car washed each time and are offered coffee and cookies. Another reason we use Toyota is that our nearest Lexus dealer is well over 100 miles round trip, where the Toyota is less than 10 minutes away. So far, the service has been exemplery, and we've had no issues.
Old 05-14-13, 12:33 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I used the Toyota dealership across the street from Lexus if the Lexus service department got stupid with me on a quote. I've never been disappointed by the Toyota dealership. In my opinion, they are always friendlier and more appreciative of my business. The Lexus dealership always acted like they were doing me the honor of taking my money and servicing my car. Granted, that was my dealership (Lexus of Tampa Bay). When I took it for service at Lexus of Pembroke Pines, it was a much better experience. I actually didn't like my service advisor, and asked to change them, but they have some strange loyalties there. They would always try to link me back up with the same advisor.

Difference of course, is the much nicer amenities at the dealership if you are waiting and the availability/quality of loaner cars.
I was thinking of taking my car for its first oil change to Lexus of Tampa Bay. Hopefully it will be a good experience.
Old 06-03-13, 10:20 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Called my Tampa Lexus dealer to schedule 30K service. They quoted me >$500 for their "recommended" 30K service. Toyota of Tampa Bay did the full 30K service for <$250. Only thing they didn't do was replace key fob battery.
Old 06-03-13, 09:46 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Called my Tampa Lexus dealer to schedule 30K service. They quoted me >$500 for their "recommended" 30K service. Toyota of Tampa Bay did the full 30K service for <$250. Only thing they didn't do was replace key fob battery.
oh wow thats a huge price difference. i had no clue it could potentially be that big a difference

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer or Lexus Dealer?