GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS 350 Transmission Fluid HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 01:14 PM
d4vid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 GS 350 Transmission Fluid HELP!

So I took my car in for an oil change and shop recommended to change the transmission fluid. I told them it was changed 5k miles ago by them and they came back saying transmission fluid can't be changed all at once, and it needs to be changed 4 to 5 quarts at a time. They also said since my transmission holds appx 12 QT's of fluid it needs to be changed about 3 to 4 times??? Did I just get owned by the shop ? Please help!
Old 03-09-13, 07:01 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our transmissions are sealed units that do not 'require' service.
There isn't even a dipstick to check for the transmission fluid level.
It is plausible that you've been had.
Old 03-09-13, 07:47 PM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back and ask them to show you how they changed the transmission fluid. Be sure to video it. Ask for a refund and if you do not get it take the video to your local TV investigative reporter.

Hang'em High.

Tex
Old 03-09-13, 07:58 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d4vid
So I took my car in for an oil change and shop recommended to change the transmission fluid. I told them it was changed 5k miles ago by them and they came back saying transmission fluid can't be changed all at once, and it needs to be changed 4 to 5 quarts at a time. They also said since my transmission holds appx 12 QT's of fluid it needs to be changed about 3 to 4 times??? Did I just get owned by the shop ? Please help!
Is it a local shop? Make sure they used ATF WS.
A special tool is required for draining and filling. At 45K miles, I had mine done at Leuxs for $205. They used 5Qts. Planning to do another one at 90K miles.
If you want much of the old fluid out, you could do anothere one.
Old 03-10-13, 12:56 AM
mojo08m
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to mention to you that Lexus does not recommend doing any type of transmission flush for vehicles equipped with WS ATF. The original fluid is supposed to stay with the vehicle until the day that it dies. The only reason to check the fluid level is if the transmission is being repaired internally or a leak repair. Doing a complete transmission flush could severely reduce the life of the transmission.

P.S. I don't think the shop was trying to screw you. They probably forgot to check the history and didn't want to look stupid.
Old 03-10-13, 08:19 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

There is a drain plug and fill plug on the Lexus transmissions. I don't think you were "had" nor are they trying to rip you off. Is it completely necessary however? Not typically - but as a former dealership technician I too have a hard time thinking it could last for the life of the vehicle.
I don't claim to know the Lexus auto trans but many manufacturers do not recommend "flushing." What they do tell you to do is drain and refill three to four times - driving the vehicle a bit between the drain and fills. This in essence guarantees that near 98% of the old fluid gets flushed out of the clutch packs, torque converter, cooling system/lines etc. I've performed this on a few vehicles I have owned and have read where folks have done the same with their GS with perfect results.

How much did they charge you last time - it should only involve 3-5 qts of Lexus ATF and maybe 30 minutes of labor?

Cheers
Old 06-04-13, 10:18 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am trying to get this service done and what a freaking nightmare. Lexus has refused to do it up until yesterday and they said they would do a drain and fill basically for $405. LMAO. Wow.

I talked to a friend of mine who is a parts manager at Toyota and he did some checking and they refuse to do it because they do not have a dedicated flush machine for the World type fluid. They did not want to cross contaminate Type IV with World fluid.

Here is the disturbing news he told me. They are starting to have some tranny issues with the World type fluid trannies and that the fluid is really dark and thick at 100k or over. Why would Toyota create a situation where they sell an inferior bucket of crap fluid advertised to never need changing, then make it so hard to do it yourself or make it too risky for the dealership to do it.

He never asked my question on how they changed the World fluid on the problem vehicles. I am guessing they are doing it manually. Damn this is disturbing
Old 06-04-13, 01:56 PM
MCCR
Driver

refer to this thread for tranny flush and other maintenance/services

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...many-pics.html
Old 06-04-13, 03:37 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Yep I have seen it, but even MMade goes to the dealer for the tranny service.
Old 09-24-13, 11:45 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

I finally got around to doing the exchange today. I was able to get 3 quarts at a time out for a total of 12 quarts on 4 different intervals. Pain in the a$$ but worth it for a piece of mind. There is a drain bolt and a fill bolt but also what I call a drain tube dipstick next to the drain bolt. this is what you inspect for the final trickle of fluid once operating temp is met. You jumper 4 and 13 on the OBD and go through a series of shifts to get the "D" - drive light to flash, once it becomes steady you have about a minute to top off the fluid and look for a trickle before the car goes above operating temp. This is the final step before you button her back up.

I have driven about 50 miles since doing it and everything is fine. Did not notice a shift difference or any difference. The fluid was very dark but still slick as an onion. The guys at Lexus are now telling me it is ok that the fluid changes to a black color and that the viscosity is still unchanged over 300k miles. My wifes car has 85k on it and it is a 2007 GS350. Total job cost me about $100 for the 13 quarts of WS and a couple crush washers. and about 3 solid hours of time. I did not have or know the fill bolt uses a rubber o-ring. I did not have one and went back with the original.
Old 09-24-13, 12:18 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo08m
Just wanted to mention to you that Lexus does not recommend doing any type of transmission flush for vehicles equipped with WS ATF. The original fluid is supposed to stay with the vehicle until the day that it dies. The only reason to check the fluid level is if the transmission is being repaired internally or a leak repair. Doing a complete transmission flush could severely reduce the life of the transmission.

P.S. I don't think the shop was trying to screw you. They probably forgot to check the history and didn't want to look stupid.
FYI transmission fluid change for these cars is specified in the factory maintenance schedule for Lexus Canada, once every 96,000 KM.
Old 09-24-13, 07:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I finally got around to doing the exchange today. I was able to get 3 quarts at a time out for a total of 12 quarts on 4 different intervals. Pain in the a$$ but worth it for a piece of mind. There is a drain bolt and a fill bolt but also what I call a drain tube dipstick next to the drain bolt. this is what you inspect for the final trickle of fluid once operating temp is met. You jumper 4 and 13 on the OBD and go through a series of shifts to get the "D" - drive light to flash, once it becomes steady you have about a minute to top off the fluid and look for a trickle before the car goes above operating temp. This is the final step before you button her back up.

I have driven about 50 miles since doing it and everything is fine. Did not notice a shift difference or any difference. The fluid was very dark but still slick as an onion. The guys at Lexus are now telling me it is ok that the fluid changes to a black color and that the viscosity is still unchanged over 300k miles. My wifes car has 85k on it and it is a 2007 GS350. Total job cost me about $100 for the 13 quarts of WS and a couple crush washers. and about 3 solid hours of time. I did not have or know the fill bolt uses a rubber o-ring. I did not have one and went back with the original.
Awesome, I noticed a change in mine's... But I changed my fluid @ 90k miles exact.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
FYI transmission fluid change for these cars is specified in the factory maintenance schedule for Lexus Canada, once every 96,000 KM.
Ty for the heads up Jay.... people in the US don't have that in our maintanence schedules.....

I went against dealer reccomendations and changed it anyways, because it is common sense there is no fluid that lasts FOREVER, no matter how you put it.
Old 09-25-13, 05:22 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Awesome, I noticed a change in mine's... But I changed my fluid @ 90k miles exact.

Ty for the heads up Jay.... people in the US don't have that in our maintanence schedules.....

I went against dealer reccomendations and changed it anyways, because it is common sense there is no fluid that lasts FOREVER, no matter how you put it.
Yeah it's strange it is specified in one place but not another that might be a half hour drive away. Maybe some kind of market research suggested that americans are particularly opposed to having transmission fluid changed?! It's the same car and the same fluid... anyway I did it once, I think Toyota charged me something like $40 for a drain and fill for whatever they could drain. Tech told me they just drain what they can into a measuring cup of sorts and then pump whatever amount came out back in.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 09-25-13 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 08:48 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Yeah it's strange it is specified in one place but not another that might be a half hour drive away. Maybe some kind of market research suggested that americans are particularly opposed to having transmission fluid changed?! It's the same car and the same fluid... anyway I did it once, I think Toyota charged me something like $40 for a drain and fill for whatever they could drain. Tech told me they just drain what they can into a measuring cup of sorts and then pump whatever amount came out back in.
Over here the techinicians have a specific machine for it. I don't know the procedures but whatever comes out, it self measures and self refills that same amount. The Toyota dealer told me the same exact thing, so i'm sure they're not lying.

Also, they say the fluid lasts the life of the car, like you say, it would make sense that it's marketing research since americans usually don't keep their car that long. Fortunately I do.
Old 03-31-16, 09:42 AM
Rocknrose
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
There is a drain plug and fill plug on the Lexus transmissions. I don't think you were "had" nor are they trying to rip you off. Is it completely necessary however? Not typically - but as a former dealership technician I too have a hard time thinking it could last for the life of the vehicle.
I don't claim to know the Lexus auto trans but many manufacturers do not recommend "flushing." What they do tell you to do is drain and refill three to four times - driving the vehicle a bit between the drain and fills. This in essence guarantees that near 98% of the old fluid gets flushed out of the clutch packs, torque converter, cooling system/lines etc. I've performed this on a few vehicles I have owned and have read where folks have done the same with their GS with perfect results.

How much did they charge you last time - it should only involve 3-5 qts of Lexus ATF and maybe 30 minutes of labor?

Cheers
I would like to do the simple drain and fill for my transmission. How do you put the new fluid in?

Quick Reply: 2008 GS 350 Transmission Fluid HELP!