GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Blown center speaker ML

Old 03-12-15, 01:20 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by L's TLS
I thought my ML center speaker was blown. This thread helped me fix the problem for $1. I removed the speaker and the center piece had come off. Super glued it back on and it works like new now.
I love those cheap but perfect fix.
Old 05-26-15, 08:04 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to bump an old thread but a rattle developed today in this center speaker for me. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and see if its a simple fix. In the event that it is not, I am not opposed to finding a local repair shop to have it fixed. In the event that it cannot be fixed, I am willing to replace it hopefully cheaper than a Lexus Replacement.

I know with my experience from Bose speakers that sometimes individual speakers are amped separately. I dont know much about the ML system. If the amp is separate from the headunit and located somewhere in the car elsewhere it may be easy to test what OHM is required from a proper replacement. Does anyone yet know what specs are suitable for an aftermarket replacement that will play nicely with the OEM amp?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-15, 08:21 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Also if I'm going to go aftermarket for the center, I've read that it could be a 3.5" a 2.5" or a 2" does anyone know for sure what would be a suitable replacement size?
Old 11-16-15, 07:02 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys. I have a metalish sounding rattle coming from the center speaker. I read eyekutr's thread where he talked about a metal plate that sits beneath the speaker and the adhesive wearing thin causing the speaker to knock against the plate. I want to resecure the speaker to the plate with double sided tape. I've taken the grill off and now I see 2 bolts. If I loosen the bolts, what do I lift up on to pull out the speaker without damaging anything? Do I lift up on the tabs where the bolts secure the assembly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

e
Old 11-16-15, 07:33 PM
Drftr1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. I have a metalish sounding rattle coming from the center speaker. I read eyekutr's thread where he talked about a metal plate that sits beneath the speaker and the adhesive wearing thin causing the speaker to knock against the plate. I want to resecure the speaker to the plate with double sided tape. I've taken the grill off and now I see 2 bolts. If I loosen the bolts, what do I lift up on to pull out the speaker without damaging anything? Do I lift up on the tabs where the bolts secure the assembly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

e
By looking at the pictures on page two I would lift up the assembly from the mounting tabs. Don't lift too high though as the wires/plug in the speaker might not be that long.
Old 04-12-16, 05:25 PM
willjr20
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

I found this thread on the forums, while attempting to determine the cause of the rattling sound coming out of the front center speaker of my 2009 Lexus GS 350 with ML sound system. After reading this thread, I was able remove the front center speaker cover and remove the speaker. After removing the speaker I removed the foam covering and the plastic cap cover the center of the speaker was loose/detached. After Google search for type of glue to re-attach the center cap of speaker went with Aleene's Quick Dry Tack glue. The 4 oz bottle was $3.12 including tax. The glue went on white and dried clear and flexible. I took step by step pictures of the entire process. Since I determined what the possible issue here, I decided to post pictures of the steps i took to repair the speaker.

Thanks for the help!

1.) Remove grill cover by sliding stiff paper card into the front of the grill cover, insert the dental pick between the card and the grill cover and slowly work cover up. This can be repeated around the grill cover. I used the card to prevent any damage to the dash.

2.) Got grill cover up and pull out, while being careful not to damage the white tabs on the back of the cover.

3.) Used small racket driver (1/4) and 10 mm socket to remove the 2 screws which secure the speaker to the dash.

4.) Removed speaker by lifting up lightly and then pressing the center tab to release the connector which will allow the speaker to completely detach. (Note that the tap that should be depressed is by my pinky.)

5.) After detaching speaker shook it lightly and could hear something moving under the foam covering. Peeled the foam covering off of the speaker and noted that speaker dome cover was detached. (Noted that the previous glue (blue?) was in shards in the speaker.)

6.) Applied glue to the speaker dome cover and re-attached. (Note: Applied glue to the underside of the dome on the edge) Cleaned up the repair with water.

7.) Reapplied the foam covering by applying glue to the edge of the speaker (under foam) and then slowly worked the foam back down as it originally was before peeling back.

8.) Let speaker dry overnight inside of house.
9.) Re-attached clip to speaker and then reseated back into its place in dash. Reinserted two screws in without over tightening and then slowly replaced the speaker grill cover ensuring that white tabs fit into the correct holes and that the cover was flush with the dash.

Old 05-30-16, 10:31 AM
jlang
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 gx460. My center dash speaker developed a rattle last year. The dealer said the speaker is blown. I opted not to fix it but it got more irritating so I took it out. It would be fine just disconnected but I thought I would give it a try. I took off the foam dampner but couldn't figure out how to take the speaker apart, but I ended up noticing a small circular metal piece was not level above the cone.

I push the low side up gently with a tiny screwdriver and it appears to stick up there magnetically. That seemed to have fixed the issue for now. Good luck.
Old 07-05-16, 02:39 AM
DVineRite
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willjr20
Hi All,

I found this thread on the forums, while attempting to determine the cause of the rattling sound coming out of the front center speaker of my 2009 Lexus GS 350 with ML sound system. After reading this thread, I was able remove the front center speaker cover and remove the speaker. After removing the speaker I removed the foam covering and the plastic cap cover the center of the speaker was loose/detached. After Google search for type of glue to re-attach the center cap of speaker went with Aleene's Quick Dry Tack glue. The 4 oz bottle was $3.12 including tax. The glue went on white and dried clear and flexible. I took step by step pictures of the entire process. Since I determined what the possible issue here, I decided to post pictures of the steps i took to repair the speaker.

Thanks for the help!

1.) Remove grill cover by sliding stiff paper card into the front of the grill cover, insert the dental pick between the card and the grill cover and slowly work cover up. This can be repeated around the grill cover. I used the card to prevent any damage to the dash.

2.) Got grill cover up and pull out, while being careful not to damage the white tabs on the back of the cover.

3.) Used small racket driver (1/4) and 10 mm socket to remove the 2 screws which secure the speaker to the dash.

4.) Removed speaker by lifting up lightly and then pressing the center tab to release the connector which will allow the speaker to completely detach. (Note that the tap that should be depressed is by my pinky.)

5.) After detaching speaker shook it lightly and could hear something moving under the foam covering. Peeled the foam covering off of the speaker and noted that speaker dome cover was detached. (Noted that the previous glue (blue?) was in shards in the speaker.)

6.) Applied glue to the speaker dome cover and re-attached. (Note: Applied glue to the underside of the dome on the edge) Cleaned up the repair with water.

7.) Reapplied the foam covering by applying glue to the edge of the speaker (under foam) and then slowly worked the foam back down as it originally was before peeling back.

8.) Let speaker dry overnight inside of house.
9.) Re-attached clip to speaker and then reseated back into its place in dash. Reinserted two screws in without over tightening and then slowly replaced the speaker grill cover ensuring that white tabs fit into the correct holes and that the cover was flush with the dash.

Man, thank you so much for this! My center has been rattling for quite some time. Your guide helped me fix my problem!!!! I love this forum!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by DVineRite:
inked05 (06-30-20), MAR350 (08-29-18)
Old 07-07-16, 08:50 AM
djseafood
Driver School Candidate

Fantastic thread! Thanks to all who contributed. I just got my 08 GS460 last week and this is the exact issue I'm having. Will be taking care of it today.

Cheers!
AJ
Old 09-09-16, 08:50 PM
xarnette15
Driver School Candidate

Seeking a solution for aftermarket option. My center speaker is not repairable. Its toast. Can't find any on Ebay. Bought one from an RX w ML to try, too much distortion. Any thoughts? I
Old 09-14-16, 09:14 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen centers on ebay. Unbeknownst upon purchase, my sub and rear driver speaker are blown. I should have cranked up the system to reveal the issues.

Have u tried to lower the treble and bass for the center?
Old 04-04-17, 08:16 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had rattling fuzz noise from centre speaker. It gets hammered from the sun and my car is 10 years old this year! *sniff* so proud.
I popped off the cover using some credit cards and some other plastic, un bolted the two screws, pulled out the speaker.
Centre voice coil top cap was loose, looked like it was just sat there, no glue at all.
I put some epoxy glue around the edge carefully, and stuck it back on waited 5 mins put everything back together.
Whaalaaa ! ML stereo back in full force. Everyone should check theirs. 11mm socket from memory it needed.
The following users liked this post:
Farqui (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 11:43 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

It really makes a huge difference. I was able to get the dealership to take off about $500 for the cost of a new speaker when I purchased my 07. $1 fix 2 years later and still going strong.
Old 04-04-17, 05:12 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would this fix work the same for the 2 tweeters on the a pillar?
Old 04-06-17, 01:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

No this would not work for the two tweeters on the a pillars. Those don't have center caps, they have diaphragms (sp?) I believe (I'm not a big speaker guy but I know for a fact that the tweeters don't have that).

I forgot to add for folks doing the repair, PLEASE flip the speaker upside down and pat out whatever glue residue (the one that went hard and crackled up) in the speaker. It has the potential to cause internal damage to the speaker inside!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown center speaker ML