GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Blown center speaker ML

Old 03-08-13, 08:11 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I think I told you that. LOL

assumption is when things can go wrong... but anyway, in this case it's not a big deal.

I read somewhere that paper also can handle high temperature better than anything else. Metal can handle the temperature but that will make it worst for the glue that have to hold it together. Anyway, paper works fine imo. Metal is needed to make the higher pitch sound only.
Old 03-08-13, 08:15 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
That's still better than my assumption then I haven't seen them taken out, or even outside the door, I was just assuming because of what I thought I read in the past I should know better than to assume

-Joe
Lol it's cool, I had a picture but lost it. I think I posted it will try to post a pic if I find it later.
Old 10-19-13, 03:17 PM
yoitsdre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never got to update this threat...i removed the center speaker and the plastic cone had come off. I used crazy glued it lightly back together, let it dry overnight and put it back. It works like a charm now.
Old 04-01-14, 07:36 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoitsdre
Never got to update this threat...i removed the center speaker and the plastic cone had come off. I used crazy glued it lightly back together, let it dry overnight and put it back. It works like a charm now.
dre - having the exact same issue as you. How did you remove the speaker cover? Someone mentioned credit card with pick? Service manual says screw driver, but not trying to scratch anything.. Thanks!
Old 04-01-14, 08:05 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

credit card.... I did it and I wrote up a tut on how to do it, EASY PEASY. GL!
Old 04-01-14, 09:20 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
credit card.... I did it and I wrote up a tut on how to do it, EASY PEASY. GL!
Thanks! I was able to do it with just a CC before reading your post. Now how would I know if it's salvageable? Definitely a lose small plastic piece in the middle.

EDIT: Tried getting to that plastic cap by lifting entire assembly and think I caused more damage (see second pic). Anxiously waiting any suggestions! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Blown center speaker ML-image.jpg   Blown center speaker ML-speaker_side.jpg  

Last edited by 49erGS460; 04-01-14 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 01:38 AM
ashley1977
Driver

Originally Posted by 49erGS460
Thanks! I was able to do it with just a CC before reading your post. Now how would I know if it's salvageable? Definitely a lose small plastic piece in the middle.

EDIT: Tried getting to that plastic cap by lifting entire assembly and think I caused more damage (see second pic). Anxiously waiting any suggestions! Thanks!
There is a shop in Garden Grove CA can do the repair,
They done the repair for my friend's car (2Gen GS) for $65
VERY GOOD JOB JUST LIKE NEW!
Blown center speaker ML-dsc01228.jpg
Old 04-02-14, 12:42 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by ashley1977
There is a shop in Garden Grove CA can do the repair,
They done the repair for my friend's car (2Gen GS) for $65
VERY GOOD JOB JUST LIKE NEW!
Thanks Ashley, need to find a similar shop in Northern California. I guess there's no quick fix? Was the quick and dirty glue solution for the 2nd picture part being loose?
Old 04-02-14, 11:15 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I think you're okay.... I could be wrong as I don't have the ML system or the ML center speaker....

It looks like you just opened up the surround only. Glue is your best friend here, I don't know about super glue, but look up on the subwoofer rebuild forums and you'll see which actual glue you need.

If you don't care for the mesh, you can cut it and rip it off (it is there to protect the speaker from UV rays).

The center cap seems to have fallen off and just needs to be put back on.... To check if the speaker is BLOWN, take a multimeter, put it on OHM setting, and measure the OHM load, while you're measuring, push the speaker up and down and see if you hear a scrunching sound and see if the OHM load hits 0 and back to 4 or 8 (whichever the initial load is). If it's blown, you'll need a repair, if it's not, you can salvage it with just the glue.

GL!
Old 04-04-14, 03:24 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I think you're okay.... I could be wrong as I don't have the ML system or the ML center speaker....

It looks like you just opened up the surround only. Glue is your best friend here, I don't know about super glue, but look up on the subwoofer rebuild forums and you'll see which actual glue you need.

If you don't care for the mesh, you can cut it and rip it off (it is there to protect the speaker from UV rays).

The center cap seems to have fallen off and just needs to be put back on.... To check if the speaker is BLOWN, take a multimeter, put it on OHM setting, and measure the OHM load, while you're measuring, push the speaker up and down and see if you hear a scrunching sound and see if the OHM load hits 0 and back to 4 or 8 (whichever the initial load is). If it's blown, you'll need a repair, if it's not, you can salvage it with just the glue.

GL!
Thanks so much, XxGoKoUxX! I was able to glue a little piece of it back (it's still not as tight as how it was before I pulled on it, but I think the speaker grille holds it down). Was able to peel back the mesh slowly and glue on the cap that came loose. I'm finally able to enjoy my ML system!
Old 04-04-14, 08:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

No problem buddy, glad everything worked out okay!

The middle piece is the dust cap, so it's easy to glue.

Hope you didn't use superglue though, I'd use speaker glue (I forgot what people used), but yeah... Keep an eye on it and make sure everything's good . It's a good thing you got to it before the speaker BLEW (it happens, as you're distorting the harmonic balance everytime you played beats with the dust cap flying around).
Old 05-26-14, 08:39 PM
1supra
Pole Position

any one ever find higher performance suitable center channel and front door speakers with the same ohm and impedance?
Old 05-27-14, 01:28 PM
XxGoKoUxX

There are replacements for it, I don't know about the same impedence though. Might be lower (if it's an 8-ohm driver), since most drivers nowadays are 4-ohms.
Old 03-07-15, 03:46 PM
Dnicelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown center speaker mark Levinson

Originally Posted by jamodeo
If you order from sewell with our CL pricing its only $189 and I don't think its very hard to change out. The part number for my car is 86160D for that speaker. I don't know what year and model you have so you will have to look that up to double check that the part number is the same.

I know I am not answering your question at all, I just figured I would share the information with you since its a substantial savings over your dealer and will be much easier just to replace with OEM.

-Joe
I would like to purchase center speaker for 2006 Lexus Gs300 ML.where would I go to purchase it
Old 03-10-15, 10:14 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought my ML center speaker was blown. This thread helped me fix the problem for $1. I removed the speaker and the center piece had come off. Super glued it back on and it works like new now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown center speaker ML