GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Hybrid Navigation DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 11:26 AM
Sean87Supr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Hybrid Navigation DVD

New here but have been lurking for a long time.
I wanted to share what I did to upgrade the navigation maps on my 06 GS 300 AWD.

Most of the instructions found on the site are for the 07+ GS. The main difference was that 06 had the 4th generation navigation system. Since my car still had the original version 5.1 data a lot of the roads were missing or out of place. However the original version 5.1 program is desirable because you can override the system to allow input while the car is in motion.

Most of this was inspired by a member SonarTech in https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...on-thread.html

I started by buying a Gen 4 version 11.1 DVD off of ebay. Since version 12 has come out people are dumping the old version 11 DVDs to recover their losses. I copied all of the files from the 11.1 DVD to a new folder on my hard drive and then copied the file LOADING.KWI from the 5.1 DVD overwriting the one in the 11.1 directory on my hard disk.

There was a lot of talk about the DVD writer used and the media - both of mine were bargain types. The DVD drive is a Samsung SH-S223Q and the media was cheap Memorex DVD+R DL media. I am not convinced that either is very important to the success of the DVD burn - but the settings used probably are.

I used the free software ImgBurn to write the disk. It took me several times to get the settings right.

So from the front page I chose

1) Write files/folders to disk

2) From the "tools" menu I chose "settings"
Write type: Incremental
DVD+R finalize disk: (checked)

3) Under the "Input" menu chose "advanced"
Click on "Show disk layout editor"

4) Now drag all of the files and the two folders over from the 11.1 folder into the disk layout editor.

5) On the right hand side of the ImgBurn program click the "Options" tab.
Data Type: MODEL1/2048
File system: ISO9660, Joliet, UDF
UDF Revision: 1.02

6) On the right hand side of the ImgBurn program click the "Device" tab.
I chose 4x write speed - your mileage may vary.

7) In the bottom right corner of the "Device" tab there is an icon which if you hover over says "Change Book Type..."
How this works depends on your DVD burner. Basically you want the "DVD+R DL" media to have a book type of "DVD-ROM" instead. I had to update Windows drivers in order for this to work on my system.

8) Once the above was accomplished I burned the DVD.

Because I had the desired 5.1 application already in the system - I simply swapped the DVD out and had the new maps. I did eventually reboot the navigation system by pulling the "TV" fuse under the driver dashboard area.

The net result is new maps and locations w/o the crazy cost of the new disk from Lexus. It is tough to spend that kind of money when a standalone GPS with navigation costs less. Getting the last generation DVD off of EBay is an economical alternative. Enabling my wife to enter destinations as we drive is something that should be available from day one.

The main thing to contrast from the directions linked through the FAQ is that if your Gen 3 GS is an '06 you need the Gen 4 navigation software as opposed to the Gen 5 navigation software found in the '07+.

Please do not ask as I won't do this for you nor send you the files to do it yourself. I just wanted to share the procedure and hints.
Old 01-24-13, 08:10 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you do this for me? can you send me the files to do it myself?

I tried it years back, it didn't work so I gave up lol.