GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended warranty yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 05:22 PM
ChiRaq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty yay or nay

I just picked up a 2006 lexus gs430 with 77,880 and b4 I pulled off the lot I purchased an extended warranty thru a company named ENDURANCE which gave me a comprehensive policy that practically covers everything except maintenance items for 4 years or until the car reaches 132xxx miles on it. This car is perfect and I called lexus gave them the VIN and they stated the vehicle has been serviced regularly and on time, and the last service was at 75k miles! Based on owners experience, would you recommend me keeping the 4 yr/55000 mile coverage meaning would you say there were any major repairs needed b4 your car reached 132xxx miles? I have 30 days money back guarantee. From most of the reviews on here seem to be mostly with gs300 or gs350's just wanted to know if you think an extended warranty really would be needed seems like the 430 is pretty solid. Other than that I've owned the car for about a week and a half and love it! just want to know what all the seasoned owners would recommend.
Old 01-15-13, 08:55 AM
rstrong
Driver School Candidate

I say nay. These cars will last forever if you maintain them. Why would I spend Lexus kind of money and have to add an extended warranty to it? We bought a RX new in 2004, a 1999 GS 300 one owner from a friend in 2006 with 160K on it and the2008 GS in 2010 with 30K.

Only problems on the 1999 were various electrical issues, (door locks and AC vent controls) which wouldn't be under the extended warranty anyway.
Old 01-15-13, 08:57 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

depends how much you paid for it. even though the cars are good, if you have one issue it could be costly.
Old 01-15-13, 09:36 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My alternator died around 118k miles. I think another guy had his alternator died around there too. Alternator is around $200 for gs430 I believe. No other issue.

So if you warranty (up to 132k miles like you said) is less than $200 you should really get it. Not sure your warranty cover alternator.
Old 01-15-13, 10:02 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I opted for the 8 year, 75k Lexus Platinum warranty just before the original warranty expired after 4 years. Within one year afterward, the radio and the sunroof motor had to be replaced. The warranty more than paid for itself. I historically haven't purchased extended warranties because I've rarely kept cars long enough to justify the cost. However, I've been very impressed with my GS, and plan to keep it at least through the extended warranty period - then I'll probably get another one. BTW, I did qute a bit of research on the cost of the warranty, and thanks to this site, found the best price from a dealer in Kansas. I asked my local Lexus dealer if they could match the price, and they couldn't come close (although they dropped the price of their original quote by $400.00 - still $400.00 more than what I paid).
Old 01-15-13, 10:29 AM
ChiRaq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rstrong
I say nay. These cars will last forever if you maintain them. Why would I spend Lexus kind of money and have to add an extended warranty to it? We bought a RX new in 2004, a 1999 GS 300 one owner from a friend in 2006 with 160K on it and the2008 GS in 2010 with 30K.

Only problems on the 1999 were various electrical issues, (door locks and AC vent controls) which wouldn't be under the extended warranty anyway.
Thanks...I was thinking the same...my mother has a 96 LS400 she bought back in 99 and she still drives it with 218k and said she didn't have to put money into it until it reached 190k and my warranty only lasts til 132k and some change
Old 01-15-13, 06:00 PM
ChiRaq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bavaria
I opted for the 8 year, 75k Lexus Platinum warranty just before the original warranty expired after 4 years. Within one year afterward, the radio and the sunroof motor had to be replaced. The warranty more than paid for itself. I historically haven't purchased extended warranties because I've rarely kept cars long enough to justify the cost. However, I've been very impressed with my GS, and plan to keep it at least through the extended warranty period - then I'll probably get another one. BTW, I did qute a bit of research on the cost of the warranty, and thanks to this site, found the best price from a dealer in Kansas. I asked my local Lexus dealer if they could match the price, and they couldn't come close (although they dropped the price of their original quote by $400.00 - still $400.00 more than what I paid).
well here's the thing...the warranty i purchased costs $2750, covers everything practically except maintenence items (brake pads, hoses, wiper blades etc.) $100 deductible per visit...but im not sure even $2750 in repairs will be needed b4 i reach 132k miles thats the big question...and besides its not my only vechicle and im really tempted to call the company back and cancel while im within my 30 day money back guarantee period
Old 01-15-13, 11:50 PM
yrush
Driver School Candidate

If you could have purchased the factory Lexus warranty I would say keep it but since you have an aftermarket warranty company I would get your money back.

You when something comes up based on the mileage of the vehicle you will hear that it wont cover it because of an existing condition. When I was a service advisor at a Ford dealer I would get that a lot from warranty companies. The car you are getting is really reliable.

See this link from Edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-430/...liability.html
Old 01-16-13, 06:59 AM
mgokool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChiRaq
well here's the thing...the warranty i purchased costs $2750, covers everything practically except maintenence items (brake pads, hoses, wiper blades etc.) $100 deductible per visit...but im not sure even $2750 in repairs will be needed b4 i reach 132k miles thats the big question...and besides its not my only vechicle and im really tempted to call the company back and cancel while im within my 30 day money back guarantee period
If its not the Lexus Platinum coverage, I would get my money back. If you read the fine print on your coverages, you will be surprised by what you see. Those third-party companies usually have covered repair caps. For instance, their max payout may be $12k for example...and withing that $12k, only $5k will go towards engine repairs, $4k towards transmission repair, and the remainder to anything else. That's totals over the life of the contract; now if an engine replacement is needed, first off they will try to get out of paying by requiring all service and maintenance records, next if they do decide to cover the repair, they will only pay the engine portion of your coverage...and if the new engine cost $8k, they will pay the $5k and you must still pay the rest. Also, they tell you seals and gaskets are covered, but that's only for a covered internal repair which required the removal of old gasket/seal.

I hope this helps you in your decision. I learned of this the hard way when I purchased "extended service contract" for my BMW. Never again...unless its a "manufacturer backed plan" such as Lexus platinum.

Last edited by mgokool; 01-16-13 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 07:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiRaq
it hard to say really. i had a 3rd party warranty as well with a $100 deductible too and once my 4yf/50k ran out (wish i knew about this site prior to getting the 3rd party warranty), my rack and pinion went. it was previously replaced under a recall but it went again within a year. thankfully my warranty covered the cost which was close to $2400.
Old 01-31-13, 10:03 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, sorry to add to another question to this thread but I am in a similar boat. I purchased a GS300 2006 AWD after hurricane Sandy took my 03 gs300. I have had the new car less than a month and read a lot about the issues these cars have, I would like to purchase an aftermarket warranty. I spoke to a friendly mechanic in my area that told me to look for aftermarket companies that will cover OEM parts and will pay a standard labor charge of 65+ an hour. I am really concerned about the water pump and the engine misfires that happen on this model and with all the electronics, I do not want to be bothered forking out thousands to fix. What do you guys think, go for an aftermarket warranty? If so, any suggestions on who to go with?
Old 01-31-13, 04:36 PM
snayger
Driver School Candidate

it always feels better to have the warranty...however it is true, I also have a 1995 LS400, with 136,000 on it, still gets me to work everyday...this will last a long time!
Old 01-31-13, 04:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by worker

So if you warranty (up to 132k miles like you said) is less than $200 you should really get it. Not sure your warranty cover alternator.
what warranty cost 200??? get Lexus Warranty or notthing at all...
Old 02-09-13, 02:46 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
what warranty cost 200??? get Lexus Warranty or nothing at all...
There you go!

Its worth it alone just in the fact that the navi is covered. I haven't heard of this happening routinely by any means, BUT if that thing goes for some reason all your functionality in the car is not accessible. I have never had a bad experience with my lexus cars over the years luckily. However, if for any reason you would want to buy the warranty, that is a damn good reason to get lexus platinum warranty if you can.
Old 02-10-13, 12:20 PM
gs4thirty
Rookie

keep up with maint. and you wont need warranty

Quick Reply: Extended warranty yay or nay