GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Issue with downshift and high rev idle help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 12:53 AM
saefongc90
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with downshift and high rev idle help?

So recently my GS350 has started having some very weird issues that I have never seen before. When I drive the car downhill it seems that when I am not stepping on the gas the car seems to stay at a high rpm and doesn't seem to shift up. Second problem is sometimes the car when I am on drive but not stepping on the gas the car revs unusually high 1500s on reverse also moving very fast and when I threw it into neutral it was at 1500-1800rpm once I turn off the car and back on the problem seems to go away and also the Check VSC light has come on with the traction light and check engine once I reset the battery it goes away but comes back almost everyday anyone familiar with these issues I am bringing my car into Lexus but don't have any time until Saturday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 01-10-13, 03:14 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need to give us more context, unless you expect us to have crystal ***** to peer into.

So, downhill driving - cruise on or off? Power or ECT? Presumably D rather than M mode?
High revs - engine cold? (temp gauge showing needle above 2nd mark)

Check warning - you've a fault code stored for something. Might just be the petrol cap, so undo it and redo it, putting a bit of extra pressure on as you tighten it. Give it 4-5 clicks.
Drive the car for a bit turning off the engine when you get to wherever you drove to. After 3 restarts, the Check warning will disappear, but the code is still stored until erased via the OBDC.
If it's not the fuel cap, then the dealer will be able to read the code and see what it relates to.
With the high rpm if not a cold engine, it could be symptomatic of carbon build up - so you'll need a top-end engine clean.

It's also useful when posting up such concerns, that you provide other info such as mileage, model year, when last serviced.
Old 01-10-13, 08:35 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go dealer and have them check it. Drive around in the loaner until yours is fixed. If the car die on the road, it will cost you towing and etc making it not worth it.
Old 01-10-13, 08:42 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Take it to the dealer and if you have warranty have them scan the system for past codes. Sounds to me maybe o2 sensor or dirty throttle body but those are just possibilities. Best to scan to see what the actual problem is

Also have you replaced plugs or any maintenance work?
Old 01-10-13, 09:09 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand why every car owner doesn't have a code reader these days so they know what they're dealing with when the dummy lights go on. They're so cheap and easy to find and google makes figuring out both what it means and possibly what to do about it easy as pie.
Old 01-10-13, 10:13 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ or go autozone and borrow their code reader. Read the code ONLY, DO NOT clear the code.
Old 01-10-13, 11:07 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I don't understand why every car owner doesn't have a code reader these days so they know what they're dealing with when the dummy lights go on. They're so cheap and easy to find and google makes figuring out both what it means and possibly what to do about it easy as pie.
Agree 100%.
Old 01-11-13, 06:56 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saefongc90
So recently my GS350 has started having some very weird issues that I have never seen before. When I drive the car downhill it seems that when I am not stepping on the gas the car seems to stay at a high rpm and doesn't seem to shift up. Second problem is sometimes the car when I am on drive but not stepping on the gas the car revs unusually high 1500s on reverse also moving very fast and when I threw it into neutral it was at 1500-1800rpm once I turn off the car and back on the problem seems to go away and also the Check VSC light has come on with the traction light and check engine once I reset the battery it goes away but comes back almost everyday anyone familiar with these issues I am bringing my car into Lexus but don't have any time until Saturday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Engine braking, downshifted. Normal. Putting into neutral, make the car go faster, less load, higher RPM.