GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS450h Resale value... the hard truth.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 08:29 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts
Default GS450h Resale value... the hard truth.

So shopping around trading my car in on something else. I find a common hard fact. The trade-in price, even the sale price on my car sank faster than the Yamato.

$17,000 to $20,000 trade-in auction price. $24,000- $26,000 retail price (Seen local to Chicago)

Consider the same year, Same optioned GS350 AWD has a retail price of $28,000-$30,000 (Again Chicago) (W/ ML,Navi,etc..)

One, the single set minded population of Chicago-land cant let go of the idea that "You need AWD" to live around here. Go right now to any dealer in Chicago-land and try and buy a new RWD GS350 Fsport... They would have to dealer trade or order it. Only AWD's are available around here.

The other mindset, "Hybrids with miles are not a good used car buy."

Bottom line... The most expensive 3GS is now the worth the least. I wonder how the 4GSh is going to fair.

Knowing what you know as an owner of the GS (whatever GS you drive), Lexus, Toyota... Does the hybrid system scare you?
Old 11-29-12, 09:31 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i didnt have a H but when i sold my car a little over a year ago i was worried about resale. the market dropped a lot and i had to wait close to 11 months to finally get an offer that i would accept.
Old 11-29-12, 09:47 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I buy to use and keep. So far this car is not "sick".

My last Camry I bought new and that was a sick car. Constantly have problems. So bad for a new car and so it had to go. I got back less than half of the price I paid.
Old 11-29-12, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

3gs dropped a lot in value because of 4gs. but overall i do see hybrid prices tank quite fast, faster than gasoline imho. it has to do with the technology (system, battery, another engine, etc...). as much as how solid toyota hybrid system has been, it's just more potential problems to go wrong
Old 11-29-12, 10:55 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Its funny you bring this up, I was offered 25K for my car before the 4GS came out and they said they would honor it until DEC before the new year. Now I have visited other dealerships and been offered 20K and 18K. When I got this car the resale price was amazing now its terrible. You would think the GSh would have really good resale value it being so rare and all, I never see hybrids on the road but like you said rominl technology scares some people. I've decided to keep this car, which I usually dont do I dont like to keep cars past 100k miles but until they come out with a GS-F or a GSh F-Sport I'll be waiting.
Old 11-29-12, 11:28 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

time to start modding these bad boys and hold onto them push that electric motor to its max

Not surprised with the drop the 3gs took with the 4gs coming but to see how hard of a hit the h has taken over the past 6 mos has been crazy. Considering there isn't a new h on the market to compete I only see it getting worse once they release the newer model its time to sell now or keep until its dead. I personally don't see Lexus running from issues given the car even if your out of warranty. Most MFG's seem to be sticking with their hybrid cars as it will best help them with issues and troubles. I know of a few hybrid cars that the MFG purchased back, not a Lexus, and put them in a new model at no cost.

Just keep up on your scheduled services and I'm confident these cars will hold up
Old 11-29-12, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Its funny you bring this up, I was offered 25K for my car before the 4GS came out and they said they would honor it until DEC before the new year. Now I have visited other dealerships and been offered 20K and 18K. When I got this car the resale price was amazing now its terrible. You would think the GSh would have really good resale value it being so rare and all, I never see hybrids on the road but like you said rominl technology scares some people. I've decided to keep this car, which I usually dont do I dont like to keep cars past 100k miles but until they come out with a GS-F or a GSh F-Sport I'll be waiting.
being rare is not enough to overcome public thoughts on potential problems on the system i guess
Old 11-29-12, 12:00 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

nuerocity asked if the hybrid system scares GS owners? my answer would be no. if the GSH F Sport were available here i would have purchased it instead of the GS350 F Sport. what i know about hybrid systems and resale values on these hybrids would not have deterred me from buying said vehicle.
Old 11-29-12, 12:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i usually keep my cars long term (8-10 yrs), so re-sale value is not a big factor in my books. besides my 12 year old daughter already has dibs on my GSh when i decide to get a new car lol, so more than likely we will hang on to it for several more years after the 10 year ownership term.

love the 3GS hybrid system, and it's given me zero problems so far. i might trade up to a 4GS, but it's not a priority right now. as bigblack06 said, if 4GSh F-sport or 4GS-F was available, making the jump would be easier.
Old 11-29-12, 12:16 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
nuerocity asked if the hybrid system scares GS owners? my answer would be no. if the GSH F Sport were available here i would have purchased it instead of the GS350 F Sport. what i know about hybrid systems and resale values on these hybrids would not have deterred me from buying said vehicle.
See, I agree with this as well.
Old 11-29-12, 12:37 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
being rare is not enough to overcome public thoughts on potential problems on the system i guess
This is expected. The biggest misconception with the hybrid system is the batteries. Everyone gets the idea that the NiMh batteries are like the lead-acid starter battery that you have to replace regularly. Instead these are meant to last the life of the car like the engine & tranny.

From what I have seen, the failure are in-line with what you see with engine/tranny failure, rare. So this is good for those of us who would be in the market for a hybrid.
Old 11-30-12, 01:06 AM
SpuGen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by worker
I buy to use and keep. So far this car is not "sick".

My last Camry I bought new and that was a sick car. Constantly have problems. So bad for a new car and so it had to go. I got back less than half of the price I paid.
Was anybody else confused as hell with this post?
I Read : Camry = "Sick" Car.
Mind blown. Brah
Old 11-30-12, 04:35 AM
Roe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpuGen
Mind blown. Brah
No, just you.
Old 11-30-12, 05:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpuGen
Mind blown. Brah
Originally Posted by Roe
No, just you.

wow that's so hard to understand

Camry was a trouble car, lots of problems....

GSh has been a trouble "FREE" car...

is that more clear
Old 11-30-12, 05:56 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
wow that's so hard to understand

Camry was a trouble car, lots of problems....

GSh has been a trouble "FREE" car...

is that more clear
+1 for common sense

Quick Reply: GS450h Resale value... the hard truth.