GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is there a modification for easier trunk opening?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 06:02 AM
jhmcgrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is there a modification for easier trunk opening?

I've had my 2006 gs300 for over a year now and i LOVE it, but there is one thing I can't stand. The trunk is super heavy and is hard to open when my arms are full. I have to lift the lid the entire way until it is in the 'up' position. Is this normal? And if so, is there anything I can do to make it more of an assistive lift (i.e. changing the hydraulic arm, etc.)??

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
Old 10-24-12, 06:26 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

No it's not normal! I think it's time to check the hydraulic system.
Old 10-24-12, 06:28 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

put down the stuff than open the trunk and proceed to put it in.

Yes many have thought about doing something to improve it. The most I did was adding a bright LED to light up the inside of the trunk.
Old 10-24-12, 07:19 AM
jhmcgrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by worker
put down the stuff than open the trunk and proceed to put it in.

Yes many have thought about doing something to improve it. The most I did was adding a bright LED to light up the inside of the trunk.
haha not the answer I want to hear!

Speaking of adding an LED, I noticed there is an existing trunk light on the right side of the trunk wall that is controlled by an on/off switch. Is this an absolute on/off switch or is it a 'door open' light switch. Does that make sense? Basically, if I switch on, will it turn off when the trunk is closed. I'd prefer to not have to shut myself in the trunk to find out, but I am curious...
Old 10-24-12, 08:41 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ the back row arm rest do have an access panel to the trunk. You don't have to lock yourself in the trunk.

Let us know if U find a solution. Me, I'll keep an eye out for a solution. Not saying I don't have one, just it's too troublesome.

Last edited by worker; 10-24-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 08:41 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhmcgrew
Speaking of adding an LED, I noticed there is an existing trunk light on the right side of the trunk wall that is controlled by an on/off switch. Is this an absolute on/off switch or is it a 'door open' light switch. Does that make sense? Basically, if I switch on, will it turn off when the trunk is closed. I'd prefer to not have to shut myself in the trunk to find out, but I am curious...
In my car, when the light switch is in the on position, the light comes on once the trunk is opened and goes off when closed. Should be the same for you.
Old 10-24-12, 03:42 PM
3gs350awd
Driver

yeah my trunk is heavy as hell also.
Old 10-24-12, 05:43 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
In my car, when the light switch is in the on position, the light comes on once the trunk is opened and goes off when closed. Should be the same for you.
Same on the Hybrids... Brighter LED in there would make a world of difference.
Old 10-24-12, 07:26 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

These trunks are heavy probably do to the automatic motor to close it. I recently got my trunk struts changed under warranty, mine weren't doing much anymore. Trunk is a little bit easier to open but I still have to pull it open. 07 GS350
Old 10-24-12, 07:55 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The hydraulic struts don't really lift it until it's most of the way up, I think they're more to keep it open than anything else. The easiest thing that comes to mind would be to buy more powerful hydraulic struts. I have no idea where, some kind of industrial supply store? The other side of the coin is if you make them strong enough to lift the trunk up as soon as it's unlatched then it becomes that much harder to push them back down.
Old 10-24-12, 07:57 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jhmcgrew
haha not the answer I want to hear!

It shuts off. Did you consider it's really easy to verify this by opening the sky pass and looking in there after you close the trunk?

I bought an LED (cheap from China garbage) it didn't quite fit and I had to bend the connector to crap... it was fine for like a year, then one day I saw it wasn't working any more but still appeared connected... I went to remove it and it was hot as hell. Since it was hot I assume that everything is fine, no fuses fried or anything but if you're going to get a bulb get a good one don't bother with the ones you can get for a dollar or two from china.

I'm just putting the standard bulb back in because frankly I don't care as long as there is something in there.
Old 10-25-12, 06:33 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Or you could buy a whole LED strip and DIY your whole LED array at like 50c a piece.

After 4-5 months now my LEDs are still working. They're so bright my gf doesn't even open the mirror to check her eye-makeup as much anymore heh.

Back onto the trunk ordeal, have you oiled up the trunk yet? like the moving parts of the trunk. Try oiling up the joints and bends of the thing with some grease (not WD40) and see if that helps a little. Also, if your trunk is dirty (these 3rd gens should be getting super dirty by now), try to clean those joints up as dirt and grime gets inbetween and in return it gets rougher to open and close the trunk.
Old 10-25-12, 07:54 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ agree.. idk what led jay put in but that doesn't sound right for it to be so hot. i ran a cable from that light to the top center where i put my led. just cut a hole in the liner and stuff the led through. hahaha

our trunk doesn't spring open, not even a bit. when it release it pop up by about 0.5 in and i think that due to the gasket around the trunk.
Old 10-25-12, 12:17 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGS350
These trunks are heavy probably do to the automatic motor to close it. I recently got my trunk struts changed under warranty, mine weren't doing much anymore. Trunk is a little bit easier to open but I still have to pull it open. 07 GS350
I just got my GS and I'm trying to figure out the auto closer. In the Owner's Manual, it says that you have to close the trunk more than half way and the closer will do the rest, but mine will stay open until I shut it. It also doesn't open more than just popping like a previous post. Is this normal? I can't find any vids on YouTube showing this feature.
Old 10-25-12, 12:25 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ I think it means the locking.

Softly close the trunk but not lock yet.... than press down, you will see it click than the locking pull the trunk in the rest of the way.

Quick Reply: Is there a modification for easier trunk opening?