GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

parking sensor fell in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 09:33 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Parking sensor fell in. FIXED

One of my parking sensors was acting up today, this happened before. I would tap the sensor a few times and the problem went away. Now I don't really care for the system but I like to keep things in working order.

Anyhow today I taped it a bit to hard and the sensor fell in. I tried it all and could not snap it back in.

Is there any way of snapping it back in, I took the plastic ring that surrounds it but its just not happening.
Must I remove the bumper? How hard is it it to take the cover off.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 10-19-12 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 09:38 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe get a strong suction cup. If not then you will have to remove the bumper cover...
Old 10-19-12, 09:48 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while at it you might want to replace that sensor. So you won't have to tap it ever again.

I turn off my proximity sensor. (I think this is what u mean by the parking sensor)
Old 10-19-12, 09:54 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Well it worked for a year and only gave me trouble twice...I almost never park the car on the street, and I dont rely on sensors anyhow, so they are of no use to me. Back up camera helps and thats that. But at this point the sensor is pushed in and its bothering me.
Looks like I have to take the front bumper off? wonder how much Lexus would want to charge for this.
Old 10-19-12, 10:04 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think you have to take off the bumper. Lift up the car and remove some screw or whatever holding the bottom liner to get your arm in and push that sensor back out.

I think the same goes for the back bumper. I've never removed the back bumper.
Old 10-19-12, 10:33 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can wrap a piece of strong paper around the back of it and pull it from both ends of the paper maybe you can get it to lock it and then try to slide the paper out around it or just trim the paper off if it's stuck.
Old 10-19-12, 10:40 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If you can wrap a piece of strong paper around the back of it and pull it from both ends of the paper maybe you can get it to lock it and then try to slide the paper out around it or just trim the paper off if it's stuck.

Haha... I tried that already. I even used copper thin wire and pulled from top and bottom, it just won't snap back in.
I am going to garage now and will unbolt the bumper from the bottom and see if I can sneak my hand in. Otherwise the bumper will come off. Obviously I am getting too old for this crap otherwise I would have taken the bumper off first thing and had it done already.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 10-19-12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 01:58 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Default Fixed

Thanks for everyone's input. This forum is one of the most informative forums I have been on.
I gotta say folks on Lincoln and MB forum are pretty hardcore when it comes to detail and helping out a person in trouble, and you guys up there as well.

I took the bumper off snapped the sensor back in place and that was it. I disconnected both sensors in hopes of fixing the original problem, but it's still there and the sensor beeps eve if there is nothing ahead of it. I hope it goes away by itself, it did before, and if not, I dont really care for it that much.

Taking the bumper off can be done in 10 min if working super fast. I was done 45 min, going slow. I was pleasantly surprised how everything bolted back up perfectly. I managed to lose one snap in clip and break another one, the ones that secure the plastic cover on top of the grille.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails parking sensor fell in.-photo-7-.jpg  

Last edited by tbilisi79; 10-19-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 12:12 PM
LexusLooza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Thanks for everyone's input. This forum is one of the most informative forums I have been on.
I gotta say folks on Lincoln and MB forum are pretty hardcore when it comes to detail and helping out a person in trouble, and you guys up there as well.

I took the bumper off snapped the sensor back in place and that was it. I disconnected both sensors in hopes of fixing the original problem, but it's still there and the sensor beeps eve if there is nothing ahead of it. I hope it goes away by itself, it did before, and if not, I dont really care for it that much.

Taking the bumper off can be done in 10 min if working super fast. I was done 45 min, going slow. I was pleasantly surprised how everything bolted back up perfectly. I managed to lose one snap in clip and break another one, the ones that secure the plastic cover on top of the grille.

Thanks everyone.

Did you ever figure out HOW it got pushed in?
The same thing happened to mine…I don't know how it happened.
My car is still under warranty - do you think it is covered. I do not have your handy skills to take off the bumper.
Old 05-21-13, 11:28 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

One of the sensors was giving me static and I was taping it with my hand, that usually helped before. When I came out the next morning I noticed the sensor fell in a bit.. I guess I over did it.'

I have to replace one of the sensors now.
Old 05-21-13, 11:32 AM
LexusLooza
Driver School Candidate

I just got a 2010 GS350 and the 2nd day with it, I realized one of the front parking sensors was knocked back, making the sensor go off nonsensically. It happened over the course of a 5hr trip where I made one stop on the way. My dealer is charging me $480 JUST TO TAKE THE BUMPER OFF TO PUSH IT INTO PLACE - but says it will be more if it has to be replaced. So much for being under warranty.
Is this something a mom and pop mechanic can do?
I am bummed as I didn't expect such a big issue in the first 2 days of owning the car.
Old 05-21-13, 11:38 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusLooza
I just got a 2010 GS350 and the 2nd day with it, I realized one of the front parking sensors was knocked back, making the sensor go off nonsensically. It happened over the course of a 5hr trip where I made one stop on the way. My dealer is charging me $480 JUST TO TAKE THE BUMPER OFF TO PUSH IT INTO PLACE - but says it will be more if it has to be replaced. So much for being under warranty.
Is this something a mom and pop mechanic can do?
I am bummed as I didn't expect such a big issue in the first 2 days of owning the car.

Taking the bumper off is not that hard you can do it yourself. Or drop by in queens Ny and we can work something out. I have to remove my bumper again to replace one of the bad sensors.
Old 05-23-13, 06:23 AM
LexusLooza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Taking the bumper off is not that hard you can do it yourself. Or drop by in queens Ny and we can work something out. I have to remove my bumper again to replace one of the bad sensors.
Thanks, man! Let me do a little research and self education and I may actually take you up on the Queens trip…
Old 09-06-23, 08:49 PM
Yoosi
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue 1 month after I bought a brand new lexus rx350h (2023). I spoke with lexus dealership, they said bring in the car and they`ll fix it. But I wasnt happy with the fix and called them again, they inspected the car again and told me the sensor holder needs to be replaced and they`ll have to order a new one. The most annoying part was them sending me a text before each appointment telling me "for faster check out visit our secure payment link". And i always told them the car is under warranty to which they responded ... "oh diagnostic charges are up to technicians discretion".
Anyways, they replaced it and its good now, they haven't charged me anything for all 3 visit but it definitely gave me anxiety every time.