GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need input (GS 350 AWD 07)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 06:49 AM
Rikan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input (GS 350 AWD 07)

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a new ride (DD) and I have two good deals. One being an 07 GS 350 AWD w/64k miles (Blk/Blk).

I want to hear from you guys why should I buy it and why should I pass? I understand this is a Lexus forum so a lot of you might be bias, but I just want honest Pro's and Con's.

I will be driving at least 2/3 times a week over 150 miles one way.
I have two kids and (1) needs a child seat.
I'm in MA, some winters can be terrible.
The car can be purcahsed for 19k.

My other option is a Acura TL 08 w/Navi 64k miles for 13K. And no I dont care about status or brands - I just care about the car.

Thank you!
Old 10-13-12, 10:14 AM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comparison between the TL and the GS in my opinion. I have had serval Acuras and the GS is a much better car all around. I came from an RL to the GS and I like it much better. The AWD system is very good and is a step up from FWD in every way. No torque steer as it feels like a RWD car for the most part.

The most common issue with the GS is a few interior squeaks here and ther, but they are easily fixed. My car doesn't have any squeaks, but I have had to fix a few. The car is very quiet stock and I installed Dynamat Extreme in all of the doors and etc...to make it even quieter. I would check to see if the valve spring recall was done as it is a major job that was the result of a recall by Lexus. I have had zero issues out of my GS and only did the recall as a precaution.

I say drive them both and see which one you like the best as they are both good quality rides.
Old 10-13-12, 12:25 PM
Rikan
Driver School Candidate

By no m,eans am I trying to compare the TL with the GS. I just simply put that out there for your knowledge. I thought people would ask what's the other option.

I have own my 04 TL since it came out and beside changing my oil when the car indicates not every 3k miles much more than that and the Major Tune up. I had never ever had any issues with the car till now (tranny seems to be going out). I have put 160k miles on it and still going strong.

Anyways, I wanted to see pro's and con's for the Lexus. I keep hearing about this rattling fromt he dashboard, the GPS it's totally worthless, and drops are not good as the car vibrates. Oh I forgot about the uncomfy seats. I just want to be pre-amp before I go with the Lexus. I driving my friends Lexus and coming from the TL the car is lazy but it's a much smoother and quieter ride. The sound system is better and I like the look.

The TL is reliable comfy quick and cheap to maintain. So that's why I'm weighting them together. Both deals are good to me, but the TL's it's slightly better. Anyways, looking for input that's all. Thanks!

Originally Posted by AudioBob
No comparison between the TL and the GS in my opinion. I have had serval Acuras and the GS is a much better car all around. I came from an RL to the GS and I like it much better. The AWD system is very good and is a step up from FWD in every way. No torque steer as it feels like a RWD car for the most part.

The most common issue with the GS is a few interior squeaks here and ther, but they are easily fixed. My car doesn't have any squeaks, but I have had to fix a few. The car is very quiet stock and I installed Dynamat Extreme in all of the doors and etc...to make it even quieter. I would check to see if the valve spring recall was done as it is a major job that was the result of a recall by Lexus. I have had zero issues out of my GS and only did the recall as a precaution.

I say drive them both and see which one you like the best as they are both good quality rides.
Old 10-13-12, 02:33 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of Lexus does your friend have?

The AWD GS would be very beneficial in bad weather. I went through a very similar debate as you only a week ago and went with a rwd GS. I live in Texas where cities shut down when we receive snow/ice. Worst case scenario, my wifes work will be closed and I will take her 4wd 4Runner to work. Both cars you are looking at are good reliable cars. I personally find the fit/finish of the GS to be nicer than the older model TL's. I do however like the fit/finish of the newest model TL. I also found there to be more space in the GS vs the TL. I have 2 kids that are both in car seats and I found there to be a little more space in the GS rear seat as well.

Good luck with your decision!

(I do have to say that I had a slight bias towards Lexus since I owned a 2nd gen GS that was totaled with about 200k miles. If my wife would not have been in an accident in the car, I would still be driving it today. I plan to drive my new-to-me 2007 GS with 30k miles to over 200k miles)
Old 10-13-12, 03:28 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say go with the gs in general, 19k sounds very cheap for that car, is everything alright with it?
Old 10-13-12, 05:36 PM
Ziggy716
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the GS not cause it's a Lexus but the AWD is going to be superior in wintry conditions.
Old 10-13-12, 05:52 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you didn't take offense to my comparison comment as it wasn't meant that way. The TL is definitely going to feel more sporty and nimble, but I don't know if it actually performs any better. Transmissions have been an issue on TL's in the past, but I thought that they have improved them.

I don't find the seats uncomfortable and they offer a good amount of adjustment with a power lumbar support. i have owned cars with better seats for sure and i might give the TL the edge there. The GPS is decent, but not the best that I have used. It will generally get you where you are going and it's no worse than the one on my VW. The stock sound system is also decent, but I upgraded mine with aftermarket speakers, amplifiers and a processor because I think all stock systems are full of compromises.

It sounds like you are getting a great price on either car and between the two you should be happy.

Last edited by AudioBob; 10-13-12 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-13-12, 05:55 PM
Macoyle
Rookie

I just sold my TL for a gs. The TL was a nice car, but the jarring ride got old so I sold it for a nicer ride.
Old 10-13-12, 11:51 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

The GS is $19k? If its got a clean Carfax that's a steal, even without navi.

The AWD is incredible in the snow.
Old 10-14-12, 03:55 AM
Rikan
Driver School Candidate

Yes the Lexus is only 19k and it has a clean car fax. I think is a good deal, however the TL 08 at 13k is another great deal.

Thank you guys for all your help thus far. One reason I'm leaning to the GS is because the AWD in the snow. However, I keep reading about the horrible gas mileage in the city and that's a turn off. The TL is great on gas and the maintenance is fairly cheap. How bad is the gas mileage on the GS and how is the maintenance? From what I read they are reliable vehicles that doesnt need much but routine maintenance, but just checking. Once again thanks guys!
Old 10-14-12, 11:16 AM
Macoyle
Rookie

Even the to doesn't get that great of mileage, a little better than the gs from what people say, but there are too many variables unless someone who has had both can chime in
Old 10-14-12, 01:25 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the GS would be most people choice on this forum but again you need to deicde what is going to work for you.
Old 10-14-12, 09:29 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rikan
Yes the Lexus is only 19k and it has a clean car fax. I think is a good deal, however the TL 08 at 13k is another great deal.

Thank you guys for all your help thus far. One reason I'm leaning to the GS is because the AWD in the snow. However, I keep reading about the horrible gas mileage in the city and that's a turn off. The TL is great on gas and the maintenance is fairly cheap. How bad is the gas mileage on the GS and how is the maintenance? From what I read they are reliable vehicles that doesnt need much but routine maintenance, but just checking. Once again thanks guys!
I might not be the guy to talk to about my own GS as it blew its engine last night, but I sell a fair number of them at work and they're generally very reliable cars.

I've also seen a lot more Acuras with transmission problems (and no, I'm not talking about 04 and older V6 cars) than Lexus.

The GS is absolutely incredible in the snow, simply the best car I've ever driven in the white stuff and that was on those lousy eagle RS-As

Maintenance? Change oil, filters, brake pads.. That's all the vast majority of them ever need. Also, being RWD biased its a bit more engaging to drive than a TL, although my 06 XJ8 is dramatically more fun to drive than my GS.

On a road trip, before I had the VVT-I actuators "fixed" (it's a long story and possibly the dealer who did its fault) I was getting 26-27 on the highway and 17 or so in town.

How many miles on the TL? What color are the cars, and do they have Navi?
Old 10-15-12, 08:00 AM
KJSmitty
Driver

Greetings,
Well, we owned a 2004 TL and a 07 GS thus we have something in common. We would still be driving the TL if a Dallas Sheriff hadn't of been texting and ran into me doing 55mph, on the freeway, in a construction zone - totaling the car..... That's all I'll say about that in order to keep my blood pressure down.. No injuries however, the structure of the 2004+ TL is one of the best for crash results.

Winter: Being from TX I rarely drove the TL in snow and/or ice. I did however have several days in the 8 years we owned it that I did. I also spent 16 years of my driving days not only learning to drive yet beyond up north (MT and NE) where ice storms and 2-6 ft of snow are the norm. With the right tires the front wheel drive TL would be fine. The AWD GS however would be better in that regards. Good tires will be key as well.

Overall: I can honestly say the GS350 is a tad nicer car than the TL, nothing huge but you can feel the extra "solidness" of the build. I personally don't think the GS is any larger inside than the TL - by any means - equal would be my comment. Fit and finish would go to the GS.

Maintenance (Mx): Depending on who does it, the Lexus will be more expensive than Acura, and (I hope not) but I do feel the GS will require more of it. I'm a former dealership technician thus perform much of my own Mx. Lexus parts aren’t cheap, and with more bells and whistles comes more to go wrong etc. Our 2004 TL had one battery change and a new Bluetooth module in 8 years. Other than that just normal oil changes, and brakes. It did however have numerous squeaks and rattles that I fixed over the years.
Currently the one thing I dislike about my 07 GS is the noisy engine. Could be valve lash or VVT issues yet none the less regardless of hot or cold (more so cold), it sounds like a sewing machine. Not what you would expect from a Lexus to say the least.. It does however run flawlessly, extremely smooth and gets 27+mpg on my daily 65 mile round trip commute. That's much of the reason I have not had the dealer mess with "my sewing machine" As others stated, at your mileage, just ensure the cam gear issue/TSB has been completed. Mine was performed at 30Kish and at 59K is doing great. Like the TL, the GS too has and/or had several "dash" squeaks and rattles now and then - honestly, more so than any other car I owned.

Navi: I'm not sure if the GS has a Navi or if that is important yet the Honda/Acura OEM Navi is "much" better than the GS - more so is all of the hands free/voice activation stuff in the TL. This was one area I was overwhelmed with amazement that a much newer Lexus did not at least meet let alone exceed the TL. The TL was, just more intuitive and,,, I don’t know - I just liked it better.

Seats: TLs were better. I too would have to agree that the bottom seat cushion in the GS is quite strange and not so comfortable. Just seems hard or possibly it does just lose "plushness" over the years etc.. The TL didn’t do that. And I'm just a typical 185lb 5'11" dude.

Ride: GS definitely has the TL beat in ride comfort. I'm a mid age guy thus lowering a vehicle and changing ride characteristics are behind me. I like my sport cars yet no longer as my daily driver. Roads can be hell and a plush ride is welcome from me. The stock GS is a good tradeoff etc. No offense to you other folks - love the looks of your rides with the rims etc - just don’t need to go there now - but you will catch me drooling at those that do.

Price: As you mentioned either the AWD GS or TL - both of your prices are great as long as the car/history is clean.

Pretty much everything else about the two cars is a wash.

Best of luck on either car!

Cheers
Old 10-15-12, 08:07 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Id go for the TL. if its just a dd car, it will be cheaper for maintenance plus im sure the interior build quality is better then the lexus rattles you will eventually get which im sure if you are going to be driving it as much as you say, i wouldnt want to listen to that all the time.

Quick Reply: Need input (GS 350 AWD 07)