GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430 Accident/Insur Question FLA

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 10:08 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GS430 Accident/Insur Question FLA

Well, it's a sad day for sure. In a nut shell, last night about 10pm I was merging on to the highway in Jacksonville. As I hit hwy speeds of 65-75 range after getting in the far right lane, I came over the crest of a hill and in a split second I came across the decision of what to do when I saw a BOX SPRING MATTRESS laying horizontal across my right lane. My options were to swerve left with a few cars near me in the other 3 lanes, swerve right to get around it and possible lose control and go down an embankment or have ramming speed and plow through it. I chose the ladder and destroyed the box spring and my front end with ***** flying everywhere. Once I realized I was ok, I spotted an old pick up truck in the emergency lane that had 3 mattresses still in the bed of the truck and pulled over. They young couple were just sitting in the truck and weren't busting their *** to get back and retrieve the mattress out of the road. Florida Highway Patrol issued a citation for failure to secure load (or something like that) and she admitted fault.

Anyway, I have a fully loaded 2006 GS430, 112K miles, aftermarket 19s in the front and 4 day old Michelins, built in passport radar in the opening near the fog lights, etc. The other driver has current insurance BUT only has the minimum coverage required by Florida (10K). My insurance is initially thinking that my car may be totaled. I haven't received the estimate yet as it got to the collision center today. So questions...

1. My initial decision was to go soley through the other insurance (off brand I never heard of) or go through my insurance (USAA) and have them go after the other guy. Well, I found out the max out of pocket coverage is $10,000 for the insured driver. My damage could be worth possible more and my car value seems to range from $15-$20K for a stock GS430 - my car is not exactly stock, I've owned it for the last 106,000 miles and very well maintained. So now it appears it may be best to go through my insurance b/c with DV it would have to be more than that??

2. Diminished value - any experience on how this would impact my value (even with age and mileage of car) and what to get? Also, I know and work with a lot of PI attorney customers so wondering if this situation would be worth bringing in an attorney. I hate to lose any I recoup to them but if I come out much better than could be worth it???

thanks
Attached Thumbnails GS430 Accident/Insur Question FLA-iphone-pic-1.jpg   GS430 Accident/Insur Question FLA-iphone-2.jpg   GS430 Accident/Insur Question FLA-iphone-3.jpg  
Old 09-25-12, 03:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldnt think that is totaled. What damage, if any, is under the hood? Looks like the radiator possible from the fluid on the ground. I'd have the other insurance pay for it then go find the parts and fix it yourself.
Old 09-25-12, 04:04 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car seemed to start normally but do know about other possible damage underneath as it has not been driven since accident...only started to backup a few feet for tow.
I can see where there could be 10K in damage but not enough to total it. Just feel that is that grey area where I get screwed. Car may get fixed and cosmetically look good but then little rattles, squeaks, etc come out and then the value goes down even more after the accident but have not way to recoup more money from other insur b/c their max just covered the repairs.
Old 09-25-12, 05:49 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam that thing looks torn away, i say go after the guys insurance and you always have ure insurance as back up. Let your insurance know about it and you should be fine. It does not look totaled to me, i would say 5-6k in damage. Diminishing value is something you are gonna loose out on.
Old 09-25-12, 09:05 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The at fault insurance cover most if not all, and your insurance should cover the rest if any is left over.

But definitely the car is not totaled. Look like all the damage is from the initial impact. Anyway, inspect and go from there.