GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS Drinking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 07:31 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
My 07GS350 AWD has 75K miles. Previous oil changes, the oil level was stlll at full mark after 5K miles. Current oil change, I have topped off 1 Qt so far after 5K miles, I had the valve spring recall done 16 months ago. Have an appointment to bring the car in for other services next week, Will see what dealership is going to say about this oil burning. They would probabky say it's normal.
Had been owniing 2 Accords & one Acura. None of them burnt oil after 200K miles.,
Dealer replaced the oil. Marked oil level. Sealed dipstick & engine filler. Will come back next 1500 miles for them to take the reading.
Brought the car in for rear brake check. Rear calipers seized.
Lexus covered calipers replacement under extended warranty. Lexus bill, 900 and changes.
Rotors and pads are not covered. Got 75K miles out of them.
Old 09-28-12, 09:41 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck.....you probably have another issue. Your motor has been 10x more reliable than the 06 gs300's. we don't have oil consumption issues with the 2gr-fse. sometimes problems are caused by very poor oil change history. Being an AWD, I'm sure there is a lot of corrosion on the engine. This kills water pumps. leads to overheating. If that's true, it's still completely lexus's responsibility. My point is that you have a good engine....something happened to it. Your seized calipers confirms the corrosion part.

Hope your problems are fixed properly. that engine should not be having problems and should be taken care of.
Old 09-28-12, 09:49 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

thought of two more things. first off, a quart in 5k is nothing when it comes to oil consumption. loose piston ring tension will cause some oil consumption. but it's better for fuel mileage, power, and engine life. the germans have been designing motors this way for years, and i promise you that modern lexus engines do consume some oil. it's not a flaw or a problem.

But if you truly are burning more oil than you used to be....did it start after the valve spring recall? there were some remote cases of valve stem seals being cut or improperly installed during this recall.
Old 09-29-12, 03:21 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by diagtime
thought of two more things. first off, a quart in 5k is nothing when it comes to oil consumption. loose piston ring tension will cause some oil consumption. but it's better for fuel mileage, power, and engine life. the germans have been designing motors this way for years, and i promise you that modern lexus engines do consume some oil. it's not a flaw or a problem.

But if you truly are burning more oil than you used to be....did it start after the valve spring recall? there were some remote cases of valve stem seals being cut or improperly installed during this recall.
Valve spring recall was performed 16 months ago. I have been checking my car oil level since then.
Heavy black soot in the exhaust pipes is very much gone since the recal..
Just noticed oil consumption two months ago.
I can live with a QT in 5K miles. Will see the next 1500 miles bring. I can't check the level until then.
Just hope the engine oil light doesn't come up during this time.

Seized calipers, I believe it's a common issue with 3rd GS. Just glad I have the EW to cover the repair.
Old 09-30-12, 01:38 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Seized calipers, I believe it's a common issue with 3rd GS. Just glad I have the EW to cover the repair.
there was a recall on the early 3rd gs for the caliper slide pin boots. but even after that there have been tons of cases of seized calipers because techs don't put the boots on properly. so you're right, seized rear calipers doesn't always mean excessive corrosion on the car.
Old 11-02-12, 05:03 PM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my '06 GS300 from Lexus after a front brake job. Again, I complained about the oil consumption. The car has 125k miles and documented oil changes every 3-5K miles from Lexus since new. My receipt states...
"Inspeced and found vehicle 2qts low on oil. Found No leaks present. As per Lexus 1qt per 600 miles is considered exceptable"
Does anybody else find this a bit odd? Any suggestions? Also have the usual check vsc and engine light on which was diagnosed as bank 2 cat failure by the same Lexus of Portland. Car runs great though.......
Old 11-04-12, 08:22 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Valve spring recall was performed 16 months ago. I have been checking my car oil level since then.
Heavy black soot in the exhaust pipes is very much gone since the recal..
Just noticed oil consumption two months ago.
I can live with a QT in 5K miles. Will see the next 1500 miles bring. I can't check the level until then.
Just hope the engine oil light doesn't come up during this time.

After 1500 miles brought the car back for the dealership to take the reading. They sais the oil level is still full. Weird. But I will keep monitoring it until the next oil change.