GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Completely Disgusted!! Lexus denied a warranty claim!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 09:40 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Completely Disgusted!! Lexus denied a warranty claim!!

It has been a sad day for me to find how ignorant and poor Lexus's warranty service and customer service has gotten. I want to share my experience with you all and hope that someone might have some ideas how I can get this resolved. For reference, my car has 40k miles on it and I am still under full factory warranty.

I took my car (08 GS460) in because my driver side seat bottom (right where the seams meet) was deformed, sagging, and I can feel it when sitting which is uncomfortable. They took it in and replaced the pad underneath saying sometimes that can be deformed and should fix the problem. I was happy up until this point.

Replacing the pad did not fix the problem and the deformaty is still there. I took it back in and when they brought it in the second time, they said there is nothing wrong with the seat and they would not do anything else. I then told them this was unaceptable so they then called the regional Lexus warranty rep and the rep offered to split the cost with me and would not not warranty the seat fully. I called Lexus customer care and filed a complaint with them last week. I just got a phone call back from them saying that because the Lexus rep only offered to cover 1/2, they had to stand by that decision and there was no one else I could talk to.

I have now filed a dispute with the National Center for Dispute Settlement and am waiting on the forms to come in for that. I am including a picture of the deformaty and would like to know if anyone has any other ideas of how I can get this resolved. I have spent way too much money on my vehicles to just sit back and let Lexus say they wont warranty something that is visually deformed as well as uncomfortable when sitting.

Thanks all in advance for reading this and any suggestions that come in. Also, I wasn't sure where the best place to post this was so I just put it in the 3GS section.

Old 09-18-12, 10:05 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

What dealership?

Are you the original owner?
Old 09-18-12, 10:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

are you sure your still within your 4 years? if the car was made early 2008 then it wouldnt be under warranty.

what is wrong with the seat? your just saying its deformed and they need to fix it. is it deformed from years of sitting in the car?
Old 09-18-12, 10:15 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by neurocity
What dealership?

Are you the original owner?
Dave Munganast Lexus of St. Louis.

I am the second owner. I have owned it since 2010 and it only had 11k miles when I bought it so I have had the most use out of it.
Old 09-18-12, 10:25 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
are you sure your still within your 4 years? if the car was made early 2008 then it wouldnt be under warranty.

what is wrong with the seat? your just saying its deformed and they need to fix it. is it deformed from years of sitting in the car?
Positive. My warranty will end this December.

I can't say for certain what is wrong with the seat. It made sense to me that the pad would have been the cause, but they have replaced that and I still have the issue. After this, they explained to me how the seat is attached to the frame and I guess there are hog rings underneath that are used to attached. I really dont think it is from years of sitting in it or at least I would hope not considering the leather itself is in good condition. Also, when you run your hand across it, it feels like the mounting is pushing on the pad wrong.
Old 09-18-12, 10:31 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Ive put 30k on mine since owning it and my side is smooshed from my fat *** sitting in it 3 hours a day.

I would have taken the 1/2 price deal. Its not the same as a blown head or brake failure.

Edit... I just saw the picture. Mine does the exact same thing. EXACT!
Old 09-18-12, 10:40 AM
vakamon
Driver School Candidate

Default Seat back

That sucks....it doesn't look nice at all... Most Lexus stealerships are like that mine here in Hawaii sucks even more
Old 09-18-12, 10:48 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by neurocity
Ive put 30k on mine since owning it and my side is smooshed from my fat *** sitting in it 3 hours a day.

I would have taken the 1/2 price deal. Its not the same as a blown head or brake failure.

Edit... I just saw the picture. Mine does the exact same thing. EXACT!
Thanks for the comment. This just doesn't seem normal to me. I have had plenty of other cars (Pontiac, Chevy, GMC) and have put a lot more miles on them with no seat problems like this. I just feel for the money spent, this should not be normal at all. For Lexus to say "In persuit of perfection" and think it's ok for a seat to do this after 40k miles and 4 years of use, its rediculous in my eyes.
Old 09-18-12, 11:21 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the cost to replace the cushion?

What you see in the pic is the "baseball glove" effect of leather. Your bottom's profile imprints into the leather. Had this on my 95 Audi when it was 100% Connolly leather.

Most leathers these days are a synthetic base with a coated veneer (like newer Audi, GM, etc) What you see is a product of what good leather does when it breaks-in a bit. Its normal for the leather to do this.

HOWEVER... if the substrate (cushion) had not broken down so quick, it would not have stretched to what you see there. I've never seen a cushion break down like how ours break down, and I am going to get my cushions replaced (but I'll have to pay, as I'm out of warranty).

Good luck man!
Old 09-18-12, 11:33 AM
dtd80
Rookie

Man, that is ugly. I didn't get it in my Audi and it had 90k on it. Loved that leather in the Audi. I was harder than the Lexus but it seemed to resist wrinkles. The Lexus is really soft. Trade-off I guess.
Old 09-18-12, 11:35 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by Simmsled
What was the cost to replace the cushion?

What you see in the pic is the "baseball glove" effect of leather. Your bottom's profile imprints into the leather. Had this on my 95 Audi when it was 100% Connolly leather.

Most leathers these days are a synthetic base with a coated veneer (like newer Audi, GM, etc) What you see is a product of what good leather does when it breaks-in a bit. Its normal for the leather to do this.

HOWEVER... if the substrate (cushion) had not broken down so quick, it would not have stretched to what you see there. I've never seen a cushion break down like how ours break down, and I am going to get my cushions replaced (but I'll have to pay, as I'm out of warranty).

Good luck man!
The cushion was warrantied so I am not sure of the cost. So based on what your are saying, my leather has stretched due to the cushion failing prematurely? If this is the case, I don't see how there can be a question if this is warrantable or not.
Old 09-18-12, 12:02 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamking18
The cushion was warrantied so I am not sure of the cost. So based on what your are saying, my leather has stretched due to the cushion failing prematurely? If this is the case, I don't see how there can be a question if this is warrantable or not.
You are correct. The leather stretched because its support structure (the cushion) failed. The cushion was replaced under warranty.

BUT...

The seat (that consists of the cushion and the cover) failed under warranty.

They should fix it all the way, IMHO.

What are they going to do? Accuse you of being overweight with a pointy bottom? (seriously though)
Old 09-18-12, 05:34 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by Simmsled
You are correct. The leather stretched because its support structure (the cushion) failed. The cushion was replaced under warranty.

BUT...

The seat (that consists of the cushion and the cover) failed under warranty.

They should fix it all the way, IMHO.

What are they going to do? Accuse you of being overweight with a pointy bottom? (seriously though)
Makes sense to me... Thanks for the input. I am just really disgusted right now that I am having to deal with BS like this, especially with it being Lexus. They have really taken a step backward IMO and I am really disappointed in the way they are handling this, or lack there of. I will keep you all posted on the status of the NCDS. If anyone else has any ideas on how I can get this resolved, please share.
Old 09-18-12, 06:03 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What weight are you Slam? And neurocity?
I'm heavy, but no idea as to what weight the previous owners of mine were - but with double your mileage, almost, mine is looking well.
If you're heavy guys, be prepared to be told it's considered fair wear and tear - but depending on your weight, you may not be outside the 90 percentile which the car should be designed for.

In a related, but slightly off topic matter, is it just me or does the cooling effect of these seats appear to be non-existant?
I've had mine on at 3, and no matter what setting the climate control is at, I can never feel any air coming out of the seat.
Compared to the E65 7er, it was properly cool when its 3 blue bars were lit, on the comfort seats!
So is the 3GS just asthmatic or am I missing a trick with some climate setting?

If it's a bit of a token gesture, then fair enough - I've been hoodwinked by a feature that's been thrown in as an after-thought, but if it's supposed to be close to how the 7er's is, then looks like I need to investigate why mine is like an asthmatic blowing through a straw!
Old 09-18-12, 07:09 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by Boron
What weight are you Slam? And neurocity?
I'm heavy, but no idea as to what weight the previous owners of mine were - but with double your mileage, almost, mine is looking well.
If you're heavy guys, be prepared to be told it's considered fair wear and tear - but depending on your weight, you may not be outside the 90 percentile which the car should be designed for.

In a related, but slightly off topic matter, is it just me or does the cooling effect of these seats appear to be non-existant?
I've had mine on at 3, and no matter what setting the climate control is at, I can never feel any air coming out of the seat.
Compared to the E65 7er, it was properly cool when its 3 blue bars were lit, on the comfort seats!
So is the 3GS just asthmatic or am I missing a trick with some climate setting?

If it's a bit of a token gesture, then fair enough - I've been hoodwinked by a feature that's been thrown in as an after-thought, but if it's supposed to be close to how the 7er's is, then looks like I need to investigate why mine is like an asthmatic blowing through a straw!
I am about 190 so I am pretty sure they would have a tough time telling me I am over designed weight limit.

As for the cooling, I am not sure how the other manufacturers are, but I think Lexus is pretty weak. I can barely feel the air flow as well.

Quick Reply: Completely Disgusted!! Lexus denied a warranty claim!!