GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 08:43 PM
aprice301
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan78
My GS has had the recall work done twice, and after taking it back to the dealer the third time for oil consumption - bone dry after 1.5 weeks - I was told that the block needed to be replaced to the tune of $13000. I think I will be getting rid of this car. 13k seems ridiculous. You can buy a GM crate motor for 3K...
Ryan i'm going through the exact same issue. I got quoted 13K from Lindsey Lexus of Alexandria. Im going to sell mine also. Much as i love the Lexus brand because of this experience I'm not sure if I will ever purchase any Toyota/Lexus again. It's unfortunate because i love my car. 13K is just ridiculous
Old 11-24-13, 09:20 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by aprice301
Ryan i'm going through the exact same issue. I got quoted 13K from Lindsey Lexus of Alexandria. Im going to sell mine also. Much as i love the Lexus brand because of this experience I'm not sure if I will ever purchase any Toyota/Lexus again. It's unfortunate because i love my car. 13K is just ridiculous

I would contact lexus corporate explain your situation and if nothing comes from them, hire a lawyer. You never know, they may refund your cars full value
Old 12-06-13, 06:38 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just nuts. $13,000 and you'd still have the crap 3.0L?? Hell for half that you could just buy and swap in one of the V8s!

Question: can the 3.5L just be direct swapped in place of the 3.0L? I'm sure used 3.5s are a dime a dozen with so many years in production.......
Old 12-23-13, 01:48 PM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel sorry for all you peeps. Wife has an 06 with almost 100K on it and just check the oil, down about 3/4qt in almost 3K and we get 32-33 on the hwy (on paper). Runs fairly well. I just hate the steering detent it seems to have after a slight turn or sweeper and bring the wheel back to center. Dealer says nothing wrong with it, they can't feel it. Sorta like Chevy dealers that can't feel the vibration in the transaxle of a pickup that is still under warranty. I guess they're oblivious to that, cause for them, it's normal......
Old 12-23-13, 04:07 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by EA6BMECH
I feel sorry for all you peeps. Wife has an 06 with almost 100K on it and just check the oil, down about 3/4qt in almost 3K and we get 32-33 on the hwy (on paper). Runs fairly well. I just hate the steering detent it seems to have after a slight turn or sweeper and bring the wheel back to center. Dealer says nothing wrong with it, they can't feel it. Sorta like Chevy dealers that can't feel the vibration in the transaxle of a pickup that is still under warranty. I guess they're oblivious to that, cause for them, it's normal......
I wouldn't feel sorry for us. Unlike other manufacturers, Lexus is at least accepting responsibility for what's happened. Don't believe Mercedes,BMW or even VW does that.

Have you taken your wife's car to Lexus for it to be tested for the misfire? there is a long wait time so i'd get on it.
Old 12-24-13, 07:24 AM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked for codes yesterday. Nothing. Correct that Lexus takes care of it's own, I feel bad there are so many that have this problem.
Old 12-24-13, 02:18 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by EA6BMECH
I checked for codes yesterday. Nothing. Correct that Lexus takes care of it's own, I feel bad there are so many that have this problem.
There weren't any codes stored. The misfire is due to bad designed piston ring. Take it to the dealer and ask them to run the Customer Service Program for the 06 GS300. It takes about an hour depending on their work load. They MAY give you or your wife a car depending on that.
Old 12-24-13, 03:51 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCF3
I wouldn't feel sorry for us. Unlike other manufacturers, Lexus is at least accepting responsibility for what's happened. Don't believe Mercedes,BMW or even VW does that.

Have you taken your wife's car to Lexus for it to be tested for the misfire? there is a long wait time so i'd get on it.
Yes I am very impressed with Lexus for owning the problem. Using a little oil in between changes, heck there are other makes that use that much or more even from new, and they just say "it's within spec". But here Lexus is spending thousands per car even with high miles, and at least in the case of my car it still ran perfectly fine.

Oh and there was really no wait - they had my car for a couple weeks but I also had other stuff done. The actual "engine out" major work took only 3 or 4 days.
Old 12-24-13, 05:37 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by MX5
Yes I am very impressed with Lexus for owning the problem. Using a little oil in between changes, heck there are other makes that use that much or more even from new, and they just say "it's within spec". But here Lexus is spending thousands per car even with high miles, and at least in the case of my car it still ran perfectly fine.

Oh and there was really no wait - they had my car for a couple weeks but I also had other stuff done. The actual "engine out" major work took only 3 or 4 days.
True. Unfortunately they're not owning all the problems. Since you own an 06 GS300, do you have this transmission downshifting jump problem when the transmission is cold? Never felt that problem with any Toyota I've owned in the past.

Last edited by UCF3; 12-24-13 at 05:42 PM. Reason: modified.
Old 12-24-13, 08:11 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCF3
True. Unfortunately they're not owning all the problems. Since you own an 06 GS300, do you have this transmission downshifting jump problem when the transmission is cold? Never felt that problem with any Toyota I've owned in the past.
No, I'm over 100k miles and the trans behaves perfectly (knock on wood). Can you describe the problem?
Old 12-26-13, 05:47 AM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by MX5
No, I'm over 100k miles and the trans behaves perfectly (knock on wood). Can you describe the problem?
I got mine done 2000 miles ago @ 113k--the piston ring replacements.

The trans is a long story and i don't think i'm the only one with that problem. I'll open another thread. "06 GS3 rough transmission in the cold"
Old 01-16-14, 12:58 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm feeling the same way. I loved my GS until all the problems arose. Lexus Corporate Customer Care has not lived up to it's name. They will not assist in any way.
As soon as I found that the block was shot, I walked into the sales managers offer and basically said 'take my money'. I wanted to trade the car in right there on an 08/09 LS, but they would not assist on the negative equity I had. They only offered $4k for my GS, due to the failed motor...my contention was, the motor failed due to a known issue that you could not fix correctly. It did not matter - the reply was 'your car has 207k miles', as if the vehicle was not supposed to last that long or essentially that they would stand behind their brand.
It is very disheartening, as I had my mind set on the LS. I really do not know what is a comparable vehicle that will have the 'longevity' that is 'supposed' to come with the Lexus brand. I know moving to MB/BMW/Audi/Cadillac/Genesis will probably leave me in a worse boat. Guess there's always Acura, but they're not the most attractive of cars...I very well may be retaining counsel.
We shall see.
Old 02-06-14, 03:18 PM
czr73
Driver

HAHA !! My 2004 GS purrs like a kitten !!
Old 02-06-14, 05:28 PM
UCF3
Rookie

I take it you don't want to swap motors. 4k is about how much you'd get for a refurbished motor from Japan.
I 'd trade it.
Old 02-06-14, 08:04 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by czr73
HAHA !! My 2004 GS purrs like a kitten !!
Ha ha, but it looks like an old Camry.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire