GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 10:57 PM
vicreyes
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my car serviced based on the misfire. They had it for 3 days. They took the engine refit new piston rings, cleaned out the carbon build up - almost like getting a refurb engine. Beverly Hills Lexus repair costs around $9200. It was free via the extended warranty. WOw that was nice of Lexus corp.
Old 12-23-12, 10:11 AM
vidman65
Driver School Candidate

Default Black soot/oil residue on tail pipe tips

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
Car was due for the 5000 mile interval oil change. I checked the oil and it was down about 1/2 quart...maybe slightly more. I had a discussion with the service advisor about the very black tailpipes, soot on the back of the car, the occasional rough idle and how it also happens after braking quickly from a higher speed. They checked the serial number and my car was included. However, according to the advisor, the car did not fail the tests. I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I love my GS but hate to think that this engine may have a death sentence hanging over its head or...should I say block... ;-) . Should I get rid of it now?
I have a 2006 GS300. The rough idle has shown up several times, and black soot on tail pipe tips and bumper. My car only has 21,000 miles on it and is like new. These cars have complicated engines to remove to change piston rings and some cases pistons. I doubt if the job is done which takes about 30 hours that it will ever be the same again. It could cause other problems which might not be covered. It would depend on how good the tech is. I also have a 2004 RX330. Both cars have had quite a few recalls. I'm not sure I will buy a Lexus again, time to think about getting rid of the GS, too bad since it is like new and I enjoy driving it.
Old 12-23-12, 11:45 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by vidman65
I have a 2006 GS300. The rough idle has shown up several times, and black soot on tail pipe tips and bumper. My car only has 21,000 miles on it and is like new. These cars have complicated engines to remove to change piston rings and some cases pistons. I doubt if the job is done which takes about 30 hours that it will ever be the same again. It could cause other problems which might not be covered. It would depend on how good the tech is. I also have a 2004 RX330. Both cars have had quite a few recalls. I'm not sure I will buy a Lexus again, time to think about getting rid of the GS, too bad since it is like new and I enjoy driving it.

Many people have done the rebuild with very few hiccups. I am sure the service dept have well trained guys who are used to rebuilding these engines.

This was a design flaw that not only lexus did, but mini, audi, and vw have. In trying to make these engines fuel efficient they didn't realize it would effect long term. I believe they are updating the pistons aswell

If anything you should praise lexus, for stepping up and adding a free extended warranty with unlimited mileage. The other manufacturers have done very little.

Also preventive maintenance goes a long way, doing top engine cleans every 40-50k miles and stomping on the gas helps keep carbon build up from building up.
Old 12-24-12, 02:59 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Default Update

UPDATE:

I took my car in to a different dealer. Removed my aftermarket intake but left my midpipes on. I told them everything that the other dealership told me as well (which is all stated below). I also made sure they knew I fill with 91 octane Chevron gasoline, and that my spark plugs were replaced at 60k. They said the intake shouldn't make a difference but its best to remove it so they can't point their fingers at that. They also waited until my car was completely cold to run their tests, since its more likely to misfire while cold.

My car did misfire and is now approved for them to work on. Downside, this certain dealer only receives 1 set of parts a week for GS300's, so I'm on a wait list and my baby is scheduled to get worked on July 2013. But I am more than happy with that because I know I'll still have mine by then and will be just in time to get the very extensive 120k mile maintenance done at the same time since everything will be out and I would just need to pay for parts, no labor

Just an FYI, the rep I was in contact with did state that they are booked with IS250's all the way up until January 2014, and they're allotted 2 sets of parts a week for IS's
But they are in discussions with the manufacturer, and are trying to up the number of parts they are allotted. And who knows they could randomly get a large shipment of parts in she said.

Oh and they did temporarily clean up the carbon build up that I did have, and changed my oil. Thanks Lexus!!

Originally Posted by gojeezy123
Alrighty guys... Here is what happened with my experience when I contacted the dealer about this problem:

I called service and explained the symptoms (which I do really have) but mentioned nothing about this CSP, he asked if I had an 06 GS. He knew exactly what I was talking about and told me to bring the car in so they could run the tests and if they needed to, complete the repair.

Took the car in. The next day I receive a call saying my car did show the codes, and they would send the info in and wait for corp to confirm the repair.

Day after that, I receive another call from the same rep telling me to come in and pick up my car, but they did not make the repairs. When I go in, this rep explained to me that corp suggested 3 things I should do in order to correct the symptoms. I also asked about the codes again, and he says "Oh I'm sorry that was a mistake, your car did not show any codes"

Suggestions were:

1. "Remove my intake system because that could be a cause of the symptoms"
(I've had the intake on for a year now, and 0 codes were thrown by it)

2. "Try filling up at a different gas station"
(I always fill at Chevron).

3. "Get my spark plugs changed because I am past due for them"
Even tho they were done by the previous owner at 60k for the 60k mile maintenance by a Lexus dealer in a different city 3 hours away
(Why cant they look this info up?) Currently at 106k, next spark plug change is required at 120k

They said take care of those 3 items, and if the symptoms are still there, bring the car in, they'd run tests again and make the repair if needed

What I ask from my fellow CL members is what would you guys do in this situation?
Removing the intake is not a problem for me, but I would hate to take the car in and then get sent back home again with them suggesting I remove my midpipes as well
Originally Posted by gojeezy123
Thank you Boron... I'm going to go ahead and try the next nearest dealership, if that fails again, I'll be contacting Lexus directly.
Old 12-24-12, 04:36 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Persistence pays off, especially if you don't take no for an answer.
However, I'd be well hacked off at not getting remedied for another 6 odd months!
Personally, I'd be on to Lexus Corp, speaking to a CS manager or higher up the chain of command (even the CEO in writing) getting them to pull their finger out for this dealer to receive the parts necessary asap.

Kudos though to the dealer for doing a top end clean up, and fair enough if that lasts for 6 months before you see symptoms again, I suppose you could reluctantly live with it.
I'd remind them of their fabled CS, and ask them if they'd agree with a 6-7 month delay being good customer-focused service?
If they won't fasttrack your repair, then I'm not sure what else you can do other than try and generate media attention to the problem, and delayed resolution affecting other owners.
Negative publicity is a great motivator for companies dragging their heels, but the audience needs to be wider than both the members and lurkers here.

Last edited by Boron; 12-26-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 07:51 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Has anybody experienced weird vibration sounds coming from the passenger side of the engine at around 1450 - 1500 RPMS during slow acceleration after getting the car back?
Old 12-26-12, 10:41 AM
henry2001
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine Misfire CSP Dealer Refuse me Service

Hey Everyone,

I took my 06 GS300 into the dealership today for the CSP. Adviser refused service on my car. I described them the problems that I had, check engine light on. Car at idle feels like its going to shut off and shakes constantly. ( I had these problems ever since I bought the car)

They didn't even want to take the car in the check it.

Adviser told me "The check engine light has to be on when you bring it in"

Me: So I have to drive straight here when the light is on?

Adviser : Yes.

Dealership is Coliseum of Lexus, Oakland CA
Old 12-26-12, 11:10 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by henry2001
Hey Everyone,

I took my 06 GS300 into the dealership today for the CSP. Adviser refused service on my car. I described them the problems that I had, check engine light on. Car at idle feels like its going to shut off and shakes constantly. ( I had these problems ever since I bought the car)

That is BS because they can scan the vehicles history and pull up past codes. Speak to the manager or go to another dealership
Old 12-26-12, 04:18 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by henry2001
Hey Everyone,

Tell them to go swing in the breeze, and speak with/take your car to another dealer.
TBH, it sounds like that dealer doesn't want the hassle/have a suitably trained tech, so rather than persist with them, move on to someone else who's more customer orientated.
They might be more keen on receiving future business from you or those you recommend to them, which they'll fully deserve if they sort you out with minimal fuss and nonsense.

I personally wouldn't bother with the manager or dealer principle, since if they have to remind their staff of their duty of customer care, something is very wrong already, and even if they got a dressing down, etc, would you really entrust them with your car?
They had their chance, they've blown it - find another dealer who'll welcome you with open arms rather than dismiss you like you're something scraped off their shoe.

Last edited by Boron; 12-26-12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 11:35 PM
vicreyes
7th Gear

Default After the misfire repair I'm getting rattling noise at the passenger dashboard.

Originally Posted by jonnyxboi
Has anybody experienced weird vibration sounds coming from the passenger side of the engine at around 1450 - 1500 RPMS during slow acceleration after getting the car back?
Yes, I'm getting the noise on the front passenger side rattling at the dash board at idle and very low speeds (3 mph).
Old 12-28-12, 06:29 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vicreyes
Yes, I'm getting the noise on the front passenger side rattling at the dash board at idle and very low speeds (3 mph).
Have you taken it back to the dealer to see if that's normal? I tried to explain what I was experiencing before I knew how to recreate it. I'm going to try to go back sometime soon.
Old 12-28-12, 04:50 PM
joeandchar
Driver School Candidate

Well, I took mine to the dealership last week. They could not replicate the problem. No DTC's registered. However, I know a misfire when I feel one and this car has misfired..not all the time, just at times. They are doing an oil consumption test now since it does burn oil between oil changes. I may have to get on a letter writing campaign.
Old 12-28-12, 08:20 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stefnee
Called the dealership to set up the appt for the Customer Support program letter I got in the mail. I was told there IS NOT a program on my car and I must have gotten the letter in error. Nevermind it has my VIN # on the letter. She said she check for the program on both my cars (06 GS300 and 07 GS350) and there was none. After going back and forth (this is a complaint I have had for some time, which she saw in my records). She placed me on hold to talk to a service provider, then she told me it was just an appt to come in run a diagnosis on the car???? and the fee would be waived.

I decided to give up talking to her and will talk to the service provider tomorrow when I drop my car off. I am also getting a engine oil low message after having the oil changed only 3000 miles ago (another on going complaint)
Just got my letter. Called for appt and was told there is no recall or service bulletin. I told the lady to give me an appt anyway and I'll carry on the fight when I get there.
Old 12-29-12, 09:38 AM
kmurstig
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience was as such. Received recall notice in mail, called lexus (lexus of portland) scheduled time to drop off car. Dropped of car (Monday), received a loaner and they called that afternoon saying they would do the piston ring replacement and would be done Friday. Friday arrives and I receive a call saying car would be ready at noon. I arrive at dealer at 1pm, car is ready and i'm out of there in 10 min. I don't think they could have made it a better experience for me. Car runs great, no issues and I have renewed confidence in my Lexus. This car (06 GS 300 RWD) is my 2nd lexus for me (previously owned a 02 rx300) in addition to a toyota pickup i've had for 17 yrs (they did a recall on the head gaskets on those in 96) and a celica I had in the 90s that ran flawlessly for 5 years. I sure do like Toyota, there quality and commitment to there customers. My parents own a 2011 RX350 and I told informed them about this and they were shocked having previous owned GM branded vehicles they couldn't believe a company would rebuilding your engine out of warranty for free.
Old 12-29-12, 09:54 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dropped off mine this morning and waiting for them to diagnose and let me know if they are going to do the job or not.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire