GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-12, 06:55 PM
jerzyfam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had this problem before letter came out...they tested and said everything is fine...basically i'm a liar and making up what i'm experiencing
Old 11-25-12, 07:10 AM
bonobob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boron
Either try a different dealer, or bypass dealers altogether, and speak to Lexus directly.
1 is easy to do to satisfy them.
2 is a no-brainer - how the hell are they going to know you've used the same or different fuel?
3 is a matter of pointing out to Lexus their own service schedule recommends 60K, and if they want to try new plugs at their cost, work away! Otherwise, stop putting stupid obstacles in the way of providing proper customer care, etc etc - you get my drift.
Call their bluff on the CSP, and the dealer backtracking on codes stored.

Alternatively, have a BG Products induction service done by someone who offers it, and see if your symptoms still remain.
And have them pull any codes stored again since the dealer cleared them - presuming they weren't mistaken,
Which if they were, why go to the trouble of contacting Corp? Just to chew the fat?
Thank you Boron & gojeezy123. Will try what you guys recommend.. Hope each of you enjoyed Thanksgiving and wishing a Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-01-12, 08:35 AM
Cyclones8
Driver School Candidate

Smile Update - Oil Consumption Test

Brought the GS300 back to the dealer after the 1200 mile test period and they said it was consuming oil. Told me that they could not do the service campaign unless it also had the misfire codes which it did not. They gave me a loaner and stated that the tech would run some tests to try and get it to misfire. Three hours later they tell me they got the misfire code and parts are ordered. On national back order and expect them sometime in January. Picked up my car and am now just waiting for parts.
Old 12-02-12, 03:20 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Result!
I'm sure you're relieved.
Old 12-02-12, 11:32 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Thank you Boron... I'm going to go ahead and try the next nearest dealership, if that fails again, I'll be contacting Lexus directly.

Originally Posted by Boron
Either try a different dealer, or bypass dealers altogether, and speak to Lexus directly.
1 is easy to do to satisfy them.
2 is a no-brainer - how the hell are they going to know you've used the same or different fuel?
3 is a matter of pointing out to Lexus their own service schedule recommends 60K, and if they want to try new plugs at their cost, work away! Otherwise, stop putting stupid obstacles in the way of providing proper customer care, etc etc - you get my drift.
Call their bluff on the CSP, and the dealer backtracking on codes stored.

Alternatively, have a BG Products induction service done by someone who offers it, and see if your symptoms still remain.
And have them pull any codes stored again since the dealer cleared them - presuming they weren't mistaken,
Which if they were, why go to the trouble of contacting Corp? Just to chew the fat?
Old 12-05-12, 11:16 AM
jamessouza
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone,

I received this letter as well. I called and Lexus and they told me to bring it in to the dealer. The Lexus woman (very professional) asked me if the symptoms matched anything that my car had done in the past and I advised her it did. She advised me to take it to a dealer ship.

THE NEXT DAY-My 06 Lexus GS300 died and would not restart. I had my family do a jump start and it started ASAP off the jump.

I had it checked by my buddies cpu and it didn't give out any errors. I drove it the next day and about 25 min fter starting it up,it died and the battery light came on. A jump worked again and no codes popped up. I have not driven it since the last time I had it towed. I tried to start it but it no longer starts. It gives a noise like it's trying to start but just won't. The battery read good, but I had a spare so I put it in, but now I can't get it to really start passed much of one small "chug."

COULD THIS BE PART OF THE RECALL?

Last edited by jamessouza; 12-05-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 02:16 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds more like a dead alternator that you have, or possibly coil pack/spark plug related.
Old 12-05-12, 06:31 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The battery light only goes on when the alternator is not charging (providing enough amperage)... your alternator is toast, has nothing to do with the other problem.
Old 12-06-12, 10:33 AM
jamessouza
Rookie

I was kind of thinking that but hoping it wasn't. Do I have to purchase the frame, front bearing, rear bearing, retainer, brush holder, rear cover, and stator as well?

Or will it just be the alternator that I can replace?

Does anyone know how much this will cost at the dealer? Any good spots to find a deal on a 06 gs300 alternator? I think I'll take it to the dealer for installation as they will guarantee the labor for 12k I believe...

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by jamessouza; 12-08-12 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 07:14 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamessouza
Hello everyone,

I received this letter as well. I called and Lexus and they told me to bring it in to the dealer. The Lexus woman (very professional) asked me if the symptoms matched anything that my car had done in the past and I advised her it did. She advised me to take it to a dealer ship.

THE NEXT DAY-My 06 Lexus GS300 died and would not restart. I had my family do a jump start and it started ASAP off the jump.

I had it checked by my buddies cpu and it didn't give out any errors. I drove it the next day and about 25 min fter starting it up,it died and the battery light came on. A jump worked again and no codes popped up. I have not driven it since the last time I had it towed. I tried to start it but it no longer starts. It gives a noise like it's trying to start but just won't. The battery read good, but I had a spare so I put it in, but now I can't get it to really start passed much of one small "chug."

COULD THIS BE PART OF THE RECALL?
SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT'S THE ALERNATOR. may be an intermittent dead cell battery or bad battery connection.

but there's a good chance it's the bolt holding the negative battery cable to the body. common problem. just get a 10mm socket on an extension and loosen the negative battery cable from the body. then tighten it up. give that a shot before anything else.
Old 12-10-12, 04:14 AM
BinaryJay

If it is the alternator you can save a ton of money getting one from a wrecking yard, the dealer wants over $600 for one at least here... I found one at the wrecking yard for $100 which I bought even though nothing is wrong with mine (yet). It's the same part in the IS so they should be easy to find from wrecked IS with very little mileage.

Best to ask the dealer to bench test the alternator before they install it so that you can at least get some assurance that they are putting something good in (though the yard should do this before selling it unless they're crap). At least that way if you have problems they can't instantly say it must be your cheap used alternator.
Old 12-10-12, 12:03 PM
jamessouza
Rookie

Thanks. Will give you updates as I get them. All your help is appeciated.
Old 12-11-12, 01:23 PM
jamessouza
Rookie

Any idea as to the cost for labor that the dealer might charge? Book time??
Old 12-12-12, 12:38 PM
techygs300
Driver School Candidate

I had the wife call our dealership and right off, they knew about this recall. They asked to bring a copy of the letter and they will diagnose the car for up to 2 hours. Well today was the day, the wife called and they told not to bring the car in, they simply ordered the parts and will call to schedule the repair which will take up to a week.
Old 12-12-12, 07:21 PM
BinaryJay

Still nothing up north and no response from Lexus when I sent them an email asking about it... safe to assume at this point maybe they are ignoring it up here. Oh well. Will still drive the car until it is a piece of garbage.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire