GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 07:58 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only the 2006 model year.

Now, somebody asked about the repair.

If the conditions are reproduced (this is why you should plan to leave your car with the dealer) then your engine will be removed, usually dropped from the bottom with the transmission attached. The engine will be separated from the trans and then totally disassembled, I mean totally.

The pistons are cleaned for re-use, the rings are replaced with a different spec ring that provides tighter contact with the cylinder walls to prevent the blow-by gases causing these problems to begin with. Everything else is cleaned and reassembled.

The labor time for the 2WD model is 31.3 hours and the AWD model is 32 hours, so plan on the repair taking a couple to three days. Takes me about a day and a half and I've done17 GS's and 22 IS's as of yesterday. And three more GS's waiting outside. My dealer happens to do the most of these in the Southern area so we knock out about 8-10 a week.

If you're not the original owner of the car, or forgot when, you can go to any Lexus dealer and give them the VIN and they can look up the exact delivery date of your car. This is when the extended coverage time starts. Won't cost you a thing.

Over in the IS 2nd generation forum there's a thread about the carbon CSP with pictures of a torn down engine if you want to have some idea of what it looks like. The only difference is the IS gets new pistons and rings while the GS just gets the rings.
The following users liked this post:
and3re (10-06-21)
Old 10-16-12, 08:02 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage
only the 2006 model year.

Now, somebody asked about the repair.

If the conditions are reproduced (this is why you should plan to leave your car with the dealer) then your engine will be removed, usually dropped from the bottom with the transmission attached. The engine will be separated from the trans and then totally disassembled, I mean totally.

The pistons are cleaned for re-use, the rings are replaced with a different spec ring that provides tighter contact with the cylinder walls to prevent the blow-by gases causing these problems to begin with. Everything else is cleaned and reassembled.

The labor time for the 2WD model is 31.3 hours and the AWD model is 32 hours, so plan on the repair taking a couple to three days. Takes me about a day and a half and I've done17 GS's and 22 IS's as of yesterday. And three more GS's waiting outside. My dealer happens to do the most of these in the Southern area so we knock out about 8-10 a week.

If you're not the original owner of the car, or forgot when, you can go to any Lexus dealer and give them the VIN and they can look up the exact delivery date of your car. This is when the extended coverage time starts. Won't cost you a thing.

Over in the IS 2nd generation forum there's a thread about the carbon CSP with pictures of a torn down engine if you want to have some idea of what it looks like. The only difference is the IS gets new pistons and rings while the GS just gets the rings.
Thanks for the infk - so every 2006 GS300 is affectd?
Old 10-17-12, 02:34 PM
Cyclones8
Driver School Candidate

Default Starting my oil consumption test

So my 06 GS300 starts it's oil consumption test today when I pick it up. I mentioned this before my warranty was up and they discussed starting this same test but never followed through. It did throw codes and had the misfire CEL at one time but the engine injector cleaner and carbon removal stopped that. I am now 35K out of warranty and brought the car in for some other service campaigns and again mentioned oil consumption so now we'll see. I was told to bring the vehicle back in 1000 miles or engine oil warning come on which ever comes first. I've been keeping track and it seems after putting a quart in when the light comes on I'm good for about 700 miles sometimes less before seeing it again. If I remember correctly, the service advisor stated something about .8 quarts comsumed is within normal limits and I believe she stated over a 1000 miles. Doesn't seem right as that would mean every 5000 miles per scheduled oil change you could consume 4 quarts. She probably meant .8 quarts over the 5000 miles oil change interval. Either way, I'll see where I end up after 1000 miles and a trip back to the dealership.
Old 10-18-12, 08:19 AM
rdcolga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caveman
Thanks for posting the letter. It looks more like Lexus is extending the engine warranty for another 3 years [unlimited mileage] on top of the 6 year power train warranty to cover this rough idle issue.

I personally haven't experienced this issue, but it's good to know Lexus will step up and fix it for another couple years.
I wish they would step up to the plate on the faulty HID Ballast in the GS Model
Old 10-18-12, 10:12 AM
Driver School Candidate

Still havent gotten a letter.... But i am definitely feeling the symptoms.. How do I go upon bringing this up to my stealership?.......
Old 10-18-12, 01:44 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you could stop referring to them as stealers, given a vendor member here is in your State, and a dealership you might wish to seek some goodwill from!
They are a "for profit" business, which in the western hemisphere seems to be a bad thing.
If their rates are too high for you to afford, there's independents who might have suitable diagnosis skills and equipment, working at a lower hourly rate.
Old 11-03-12, 10:18 AM
hieu
Rookie

How can I check up on this online for my car?
Old 11-04-12, 09:18 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 0975788
Still havent gotten a letter.... But i am definitely feeling the symptoms.. How do I go upon bringing this up to my stealership?.......
stealership? ok ....... just don't bother with the dealership. take it to an independent shop and ask for the $8,000 engine repair job. If approved, you can be reimbursed for the money spent on correcting this misfire issue (top end cleans usually). However......there are many people who have spent MORE THAN A THOUSAND at independent shop who have no clue what they're doing just to correct the misfire. and all that time the owner is convinced that the independent shop knows what they're doing and is saving them money. damn good salesmen in those shops. sadly, Lexus will not reimburse you for being stupid and going to an independent shop. talk about stealing......if you worked in this industry......you'd know how dumb it is to say that.

sorry, i know that's a common saying on this dealership. no offense to you.....just seen it too many times. had to say something finally.
Old 11-06-12, 12:01 PM
don007ta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get Lexus to commence repair on this issue today. The low oil light started almost a year ago after 4,000 miles and just recently after 1,900 miles from the previous oil change. A couple of months ago, an independent Lexus mechanic confirmed the bad rings and etc. associated with the engine misfire and recommended taking it to the Lexus dealership to see if they will make good on the issue.

Then I stumbled upon this thread and a member was nice enough to provide a copy of the CSP letter. I called Corporate Lexus about the CSP letter but they couldn't confirm the issue with my VIN#. Corporate Lexus then told me to take it to a local dealership to do an inspection and confirm if the issue is related to the CSP. Sure enough, I took it in today and they are now resolving the issue!
Old 11-12-12, 07:29 AM
hieu
Rookie

Im having this same problem too and just talk to the lexus corp and they can not comfirm the issue with my vin#
should I take it to lexus and get it check out? will that be a charge for bring it in?
Old 11-14-12, 01:52 AM
LADavidGS
Driver

I got my GS300 from the dealership for the recall and it is much smoother. If you are having problems with the dealership, call Lexus Customer Assistance Center.. I hope this helps..
Old 11-14-12, 07:29 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I emailed Lexus Canada to ask about this, I won't be surprised if their answer as usual is: "Please visit your Lexus Dealer to speak with the service department" it seems every time I have tried to contact Lexus Canada about just about anything that is what they tell me when specifically my reason for contacting them is because the dealers don't know anything or I would like some special consideration.

I gave them an excerpt of the document and also pointed out that Lexus in the past has not once but twice performed repairs that were supposed to fix the exact conditions outlined in this new US CSP document and that my service history should show that all of the conditions and complaint history have already been verified by Lexus. At the end of the day I am hoping to get this performed without having to go through the whole "reproducing" hoops as sadly my car DOES run a lot better since they did the top engine clean and I do not drive it a lot so it hasn't had quite enough time to get gummed up again. My fear will be, even if they do have this program in Canada eventually that it will be "no fault found" until it is too late. It is like somebody refusing to stop eating a whole package of bacon for breakfast every morning because currently their arteries are not completely clogged and will only stop eating pounds of bacon a day after having a heart attack.

IMO anybody that has EVER been to lexus in the past before this CSP that complained about these symptoms or had the trouble codes and had any of the previous "fixes" for the very issue performed should be automatically given the definitive fix as the previous fix itself is just a bandaid and does not address the root cause and they know that.
Old 11-15-12, 01:56 PM
skim07
Driver

ahhh I don't know if i should be happy or not. Left the car overnight and dealer told me they could not replicate the problem but I know for sure mine has issues. rough idle at red lights and sometimes the wild revs and feeling like its going to stall and shut off. looks like its time to let go of this car.
Old 11-15-12, 03:58 PM
LexVoitek
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Video Footage for GS300 / IS250 Engine Misfire Recall

My 2006 Lexus GS300 was involved in the Engine Misfire Recall or CSP (customer support program).

I actually got HD video footage of the Lexus service tech working on my pistons, while the entire engine, transmission, exhaust, heads, and camshaft were pulled out of the car. I think most of you will really enjoy this video

*Also in the video is the actual letter from Lexus*

Later in the video you will hear the service tech and mechanic describe the problem originated as a design flaw with the piston ring design; which caused carbon build up on top of the pistons.

Because our engines (GS300) and the IS250 engines are direct injected, fuel doesn't wash off the top of the pistons, so a build of carbon has formed. This build up caused my engine to have rough idle, which I also taped and show in the beginning of the video.

In the video you will clearly see most if not all the engine parts and a explanation of what will be done (or needs to be done).

Switch the video to 1080p everything was taped on my iPhone 4s.

ENJOY !!! and click like if you appreciate the footage

Here's the YouTube Link http://youtu.be/sK2C0itdIDI

The video looks best if you switch to 1080p and then click Large Screen. Full Screen looks a little grainy because of the lighting.

Last edited by LexVoitek; 11-15-12 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Wanted to add footnote about video.
The following users liked this post:
and3re (10-06-21)
Old 11-16-12, 02:45 PM
beaterman
Driver School Candidate

this is crazy but this is what is wrong with my 07 gs 350. i have rough idle now and it has misfired mutliple times before when i pulled out into traffic and stepped on it. now i have a check engine light that keeps coming on and comes back everytime after a cold start.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire