GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Old 09-26-12, 02:06 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie088
I think I might be having this problem my car idles at 500rpms it dropes down from 1000rpms within 10 seconds. Two questions, will this problem trigger a cel? And did y'all recently got these notices on the mail because I haven't got anything.
500-600 is normal idling revs.
Higher revs at start-up for a short while to get temps up quickly.
Old 09-26-12, 02:13 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stefnee
Just got the car. Will take a couple of days to see if the rough idle (stutter) is still there.

But will be taking it back tomorrow. When I got off the beltway I down shifted and could not get it back in drive. I finally got it back in drive (was in 3rd gear). Do not know what they could have done to cause this. It shifted smoothly before. Has that happened to anyone?
Physically or moved the lever across and nothing changed?
I'd phone them, and let them know you've noted this. Ask if the box is dropped to do any of the work.
If not, then ask if they reset the box or if adaptive, have the settings been lost with the battery having been disconnected.
I also wouldn't start mashing the throttle with new rings fitted - you'd be best to treat the engine as brand new for the next 500-1000 miles, while the rings bed themselves in, etc.
I'd even change the oil after 1000-1500 and filter, if they've not advised you to do so.
Old 09-26-12, 02:53 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boron
Physically or moved the lever across and nothing changed?
I'd phone them, and let them know you've noted this. Ask if the box is dropped to do any of the work.
If not, then ask if they reset the box or if adaptive, have the settings been lost with the battery having been disconnected.
I also wouldn't start mashing the throttle with new rings fitted - you'd be best to treat the engine as brand new for the next 500-1000 miles, while the rings bed themselves in, etc.
I'd even change the oil after 1000-1500 and filter, if they've not advised you to do so.
This happens when shifting to any gear. when i parked, it did not go all the way in park and got the warning bells and message to shift to park. so it is just not down shifting, all of it is tight. I am due for an oil change in 1500 miles, thanks for that tidbit. It would have been nice if they gave me the info you did about driving the car. Either way will be back tomorrow. and if that is not bad enough, i have black paint transfer on my bumper. Looks like it someone hit the bumper. Great
Old 09-26-12, 05:38 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

I may be a bit slow on the uptake, but clarify the bit about not downshifting and what's tight?
Guessing what you're trying to say, and I can't see any reason for the transmission being touched to do the rings, even if the cylinders were badly scored and that was changed too, then I can only presume the battery has been disconnected and something's not quite 100% with the transmission brain or selector signal output to tell the transmission what position it is in.
I would at least once, when fully warmed up, plant the right foot in D and see if it does kickdown.
If it doesn't, try once more, and if if still not, then you can certainly consider there to be something not right after they've re-built the engine.
I'm half wondering if they've removed the engine completely, in which case the transmission will most certainly have been dropped out of it, so there may be an alignment issue.
Again, ask if they did touch the transmission, and if so, did they touch the fluid - depending on mileage, and if you'd known the transmission was likely to be coming out, I'd have told them to exchange the fluid, and paid the $200-300 I believe it'd have cost, if not less since it was out anyway.

If the bumper is only transfer, then a light buff should remove it and restore the gloss on the area tapped - did that happen after or before you were handed the keys back?
If before, it should've been taken care of before you were given the car back, and I would be slightly suspicious why it wasn't and if that had a bearing on the transmission.
Two things could be completely unrelated, but doesn't stop you wondering.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes - and don't be a bit soft with them. If all was fine and dandy before you left it in, that's exactly how it should've been upon completion and return of the vehicle.
Old 09-27-12, 07:44 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received my engine misfire Customer Support Program letter yesterday.
Looks like they're slowly making their way out.

Good to know I have another two years of "warranty" to cover this issue in case it comes up.
Old 09-30-12, 10:43 AM
stefnee
Driver

Default My conclusion with the CSP

After picking up my 06 GS300 from the dealership on Wednesday, I noticted two things during the trip home. First, was the **** shifting issue, and the second was hearing a clunking noise when I went over bumps on the passenger sided (sounded like something was going to fall off from under the car) and I noticed the paint tranfer when I got home.

Took the car to the dealership the next day. The Service Manager went on a test drive to see if he could hear the noise from the passenger side. Of course it did not happen.... until we were heading back the the shop. Before we left for the test drive, he said the shifter issue is a quick fix, but did not know what the noise issue was. After hearing the noise, he said it sounded like a bolt was lose under or near the shifter. The issue... a link needed to be adjusted going to the shifter and a bolt to the shaft was lose.

They took the car back and in about 30 minutes all issues were addressed. Car is running great. So far no engine stutter, it shifts easily again, and the car does not sound like the bottom is going to fall out from under the car now.
Old 09-30-12, 11:08 AM
SpeedMama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, very thankful for this thread. I just picked up my 08 gs 350 a couple of days ago, the first time I test drove it, there was a clear idling problem. The car was literally shaking as we were stopped at the light. They serviced the vehicle, but I still don't really know if they did anything. Since the first drive I haven't noticed the problem again, but it's going to be something that I pay attention to. Thanks for this post and the helpful replies.
Old 10-08-12, 09:31 AM
2jVVTIGS
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess I searched the right way here. Great info in this thread. The reason I ran the search is because I took my 2008 Lexus IS250 in for a vibration type noise coming from the front end. I recently had my local Lexus dealer tell me about this issue and it's program to replace it. I asked what exactly they wanted to replace and they want to replace the Pistons and Piston Rings. The mechanic also stated he's done this on 4-5 other vehicles, including GS & ES.

A little history:
I lowered the IS on BC Coilovers in June so I assumed it was related to camber and alignment. Ironically I had Lexus do the drop install and the alignment about 5 days later. Here we are in Oct. with perfect driving on the highway, no hits or holes either I or the wifey can remember and it's off. After some searching, I've found the SPC front ball joints, which I'll be trying to handle the original issue.

After returning to the dealer, the tech asked us if we'd noticed the rough idle issue or seen and CEL's come on in the cabin. I can't say that we have, but he and the service Director stated they could do the job under this warranty and I'm scheduled to take it in for the job on NOV. 1st. The car is currently at almost 99,000 miles. I'll keep you guys posted but seems this is a legitimate program, which was what I was concerned with.
Old 10-08-12, 07:01 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Car was due for the 5000 mile interval oil change. I checked the oil and it was down about 1/2 quart...maybe slightly more. I had a discussion with the service advisor about the very black tailpipes, soot on the back of the car, the occasional rough idle and how it also happens after braking quickly from a higher speed. They checked the serial number and my car was included. However, according to the advisor, the car did not fail the tests. I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I love my GS but hate to think that this engine may have a death sentence hanging over its head or...should I say block... ;-) . Should I get rid of it now?
Old 10-08-12, 10:32 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Stop panicking for a start, and next time the car is due an oil change, assuming it's now been done, throw BG Products' engine flush through it, then refill with either regular 5w-30 or go up a grade to 5w-40.
If the problem is one of sticky rings, thereby permitting blow-by to occur, then the flush should fix that.
If not, then the thicker oil will be less likely to get burnt off, but you will lose a bit of economy.

It's at that point where you start considering having the head off and a proper look at the state of the cylinder walls, etc.
A compression test will indicate if you've poor sealing between the wall and rings - if your compression numbers are good across all the cylinders, then the lumpiness you felt is something else.
I'd even consider having a BG Induction Service done, which is an intensive 20-30 mins of flushing the crap out of the combustion chamber (inlet/exhaust valves, injector nozzles, EGR), and cleaning the MAF and throttle body plate.
That and a tankful of gas with BG 44K run through as recommended (refill when 1/3 tank remains).

Once you've done that, if there's still something there, then it's time to become somewhat pensive.
Old 10-09-12, 08:24 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts
Default No issues yet

I have an '06 GS 300 AWD, only drive it occasionally. It has 11,000 miles on it. I got the letter but have never noticed any misfire. I guess time will tell.
Old 10-10-12, 05:19 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jollick
I have an '06 GS 300 AWD, only drive it occasionally. It has 11,000 miles on it. I got the letter but have never noticed any misfire. I guess time will tell.
11K Miles?!?!??!?!?
Old 10-15-12, 09:54 PM
smokycuh
Driver School Candidate

i got the letter a week ago. brought it in last week. they said my car suffers from engine misfire so they are ordering the parts. lexus said it will take about 1 week for the repair.
Old 10-16-12, 12:48 AM
peewhy
Driver

well havent been on here for a while but i just got my 06 gs300 back from the stealership. they had the gs for about a week pior of the recall letter i had issues before when at a light or jumping on to the freeway way the car felt like i stalled and misfired... took it in about 3 or 4 a few years back but no problems reported... at this service the advisor called me and told me that i would need at least 50 misfires in 4 cylinders but total of misfires were 5 he says.... the car hasn't had a rough idle in a while..... he told me if it happens do not shut off the car and try to make it down to the dealership so they can record the data.. as i replied "man i am not going to get fired over you guys recording some data if i am heading to work".... sorry for the ranting on... but i did get to drive around a CT200 when gas prices were sky rocketing.....
Old 10-16-12, 05:02 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

I have a 06 GS300 AWD - i Haven't received a letter yet - is this a CSP against all GS300 06's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire