GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Old 11-15-14, 04:50 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused about Oil Burning vs. Rough Idle

So now I'm a bit confused dealing with this issue.. is the rough idle problem (which I happen to only experience at cold start after the car has been sitting for 2 weeks) always going to be seen with excessive oil consumption? I don't think my car is burning oil excessively.

But if it was, what is the end game here? I'm at about 80K, if Lexus won't pay to have the work performed, and if I don't want to spend $6300 on an old car, how much longer can I expect it to last? Do all rough idle cars start burning oil and then eventually self destruct?

Thanks
Old 11-19-14, 05:26 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it doesn't look good, talked to Lexus corporate today.
Pretty much they are sticking to the production date. will let me know Friday.
Old 11-19-14, 07:51 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLive
It won't self destruct....it will just get worse...CEL and VSC light...you will have to monitor the oil level frequently.

I would like to see the paper that states that they go by production date...that is asinine...I could see if it was a recall and they made changes somewhere during the 2006 model year....they would have to show me in writing....then I would argue to them that the warranty doesn't start until the in service date.
Old 11-21-14, 07:34 AM
bluec2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLive
When I was at the dealership trying to work through this the term they used was not production date but was "date of first use". The two may be different and I think the one that matters is the date of first use. Hope this helps.

I am nearing the end of my 1000 oil consumption test so it goes back next week and I will keep people posted if they decide to fix it. If they don't it will get traded in NOT for a Lexus.
Old 11-21-14, 07:55 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluec2
When I was at the dealership trying to work through this the term they used was not production date but was "date of first use". The two may be different and I think the one that matters is the date of first use. Hope this helps.

I am nearing the end of my 1000 oil consumption test so it goes back next week and I will keep people posted if they decide to fix it. If they don't it will get traded in NOT for a Lexus.
That is correct....they should ONLY be going by the in-service date...and do not let them tell you anything different.
Old 11-24-14, 06:08 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

Mine is burning a quart every 500 miles but I'm just playing quiet for the next couple months so they can't say it was like that when I bought it then I'll take it back for an oil consumption test with my easy care warranty in hand. If that doesn't cover it (which it should) I'll look in to an ls1 but if that doesn't pan out I have a feeling my car will be stolen and totaled. My warranty covers all internals and the guy at the dealership said it'll be no problem to get covered, I just have to pay my deductible and keep oil in it because if it goes dry they won't cover it and it's officially my problem. I know the ls1 swap would be taboo but it's a reliable motor with readily available parts that I'm familiar with.
Old 11-25-14, 10:48 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephon937
Mine is burning a quart every 500 miles but I'm just playing quiet for the next couple months so they can't say it was like that when I bought it then I'll take it back for an oil consumption test with my easy care warranty in hand. If that doesn't cover it (which it should) I'll look in to an ls1 but if that doesn't pan out I have a feeling my car will be stolen and totaled. My warranty covers all internals and the guy at the dealership said it'll be no problem to get covered, I just have to pay my deductible and keep oil in it because if it goes dry they won't cover it and it's officially my problem. I know the ls1 swap would be taboo but it's a reliable motor with readily available parts that I'm familiar with.
Nice public post about intended insurance fraud.
Old 11-25-14, 06:45 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Nice public post about intended insurance fraud.
Lol that was a joke, I wouldn't really do that when I could just trade it in for something else. I've seen the results of playing with insurance companies so trust me I was just kidding.
Old 11-27-14, 09:17 PM
Niktak
Driver School Candidate

Default These cars are boat anchors

Originally Posted by stefnee
2006 GS300 Customer Support Program for Engine Misfire.

Just got a letter from Lexus on the rough idle I have been complaining about since day one. Always felt like the car was going to shut off on me. Time to call the dealership.
Even if you do have the dealership perform the "fix" all their doing is bandaging it up. Every single 2006 gs300 is going to have this problem and when it's fixed you'd be lucky to get another 70k out of the car, Those are words straight out of the service managers mouth. My car was 3 weeks out of the 9 years and corporate lexus told me they wouldn't do a single thing for me on my gs with 80k on it. There isn't an actual fix for the problem, the service manager told me he wouldn't perform the "fix" if I were paying out of pocket because it's only a temporary bandage. Bottom line, lexus sells garbage and doesn't back their product.
Old 11-28-14, 10:59 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by Niktak
Even if you do have the dealership perform the "fix" all their doing is bandaging it up. Every single 2006 gs300 is going to have this problem and when it's fixed you'd be lucky to get another 70k out of the car, Those are words straight out of the service managers mouth. My car was 3 weeks out of the 9 years and corporate lexus told me they wouldn't do a single thing for me on my gs with 80k on it. There isn't an actual fix for the problem, the service manager told me he wouldn't perform the "fix" if I were paying out of pocket because it's only a temporary bandage. Bottom line, lexus sells garbage and doesn't back their product.
They've backed their product for this problem WAY BETTER than any other manufacturer that made cars with the SAME PROBLEMS due to direct injection.
Old 11-29-14, 07:31 AM
gs300awd18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
They've backed their product for this problem WAY BETTER than any other manufacturer that made cars with the SAME PROBLEMS due to direct injection.
Well, if your GS doesn't happen to burn oil, I guess you can afford to be a fan boy.
Old 11-29-14, 09:14 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs300awd18
Well, if your GS doesn't happen to burn oil, I guess you can afford to be a fan boy.
Well every manufacturer has models with issues...BMW, MB, Audi, Infiniti, Acura....the list goes on and on...it sucks that yall are having problems with the 06 300 but Lexus had done a better job than any of the other manufactures except for Acura with the transmission issue they had with the 99-03 model. I know because I still have mine and had my transmission changed 3 times under the warranty so I know what yall are going through.

If you. Are unhappy with it get out of it. It is a 9 year old car and please don't take this as me flaming anyone. You really can't expect Lexus to give and an unlimited warranty.
Old 11-29-14, 04:30 PM
gs300awd18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Well every manufacturer has models with issues...BMW, MB, Audi, Infiniti, Acura....the list goes on and on...it sucks that yall are having problems with the 06 300 but Lexus had done a better job than any of the other manufactures except for Acura with the transmission issue they had with the 99-03 model. I know because I still have mine and had my transmission changed 3 times under the warranty so I know what yall are going through.

If you. Are unhappy with it get out of it. It is a 9 year old car and please don't take this as me flaming anyone. You really can't expect Lexus to give and an unlimited warranty.
I can expect a $50,000 automobile that I have perfectly maintained and driven less than 10,000 miles per year (thus making the engine operate normally for longer than the 9 year window Lexus has given) to not start burning oil at 80,000 miles. You are damn right I'm unhappy, and I can't get out of it without costing me thousands of dollars. Who's going to buy my oil burning Lexus now? No one. May as well be scrap.

What I especially don't appreciate here at Club Lexus are the corporate fan boys giving me grief. I can get plenty of that at the dealership.
Old 11-29-14, 04:34 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys should try this

no carbon, no sticking rings, no oil consumption
Old 11-30-14, 05:39 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by gs300awd18
I do have an 06, I never drive it nearly enough to even be able to tell if it ever burned oil or not but lexus did the rings job on it and it's been running fine. I swear they spent a small fortune over the years on work to make it run smooth.

Yes it sucks that it had the issue to begin with but so did every other make and model that had the same basic direct injection design. Difference is Lexus was doing major work on the cars even outside of warranty for the problem and as far as I know the other makes like Audi are/were telling people tough **** if your powertrain warranty is done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire