GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 01:36 PM
Cyclones8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked the Car Up Today

Picked up the GS from the dealer today which they completed the misfire repair. Looked over the paperwork and they did the rings and valve springs, adjusters, and retainers. They also ended up replacing cylinder head as they found a crack that stated it was due to excessive carbon build up which shifted a rocker arm. Had them do the water pump, drive belt, thermostat and coolant flush which I paid for only parts. I started seeing the engine oil light around 80k and the dealer sort of ignored it at the time and then did a top engine clean at about 90k but the engine oil light still would come on but it did run smoother. Now I'm at 150k but until this point I was under the assumption that there was no harm being done as long as I kept adding oil as needed but in my case it was not. Now my situation may be a rare one in which the carbon build up was the said cause for the cracked head but I thought I should share this information. Not trying to scare people by any means and am not knowledgeable enough about engines to know if this is far fetched. Maybe some of the resident experts can weigh in on the information.

Have not driven the car much yet to comment on how the car drives but it sure does idle a lot smoother. Anyone know if there should be a break in period for the rings to seat like with new engines. Forgot to ask but nothing was mentioned to me either at pick up.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-13, 07:27 PM
slideland
Rookie

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
So oes anyone think this is ca used by the rings and the misfire situation?
Formation of the rings and the wear produced by the "b " type pistons. Most cases have been linked to the TAHARA PLANT. In japan. These motors have two types of pistons in one block. And they vary per block how many Of each.
Carbon is only a by product and addition to the condition. If Anyone tell you other wise they are wrong.

Lexus technician nalley lexus Roswell georgia
Old 02-07-13, 10:02 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclones8
Anyone know if there should be a break in period for the rings to seat like with new engines. Forgot to ask but nothing was mentioned to me either at pick up.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7507598-post47.html
Old 02-18-13, 12:55 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
So oes anyone think this is ca used by the rings and the misfire situation?
Update: brought the car in for necessary maintenance. Asked them to check the misfire situation again, car idle has been fluctuating 150-200 rpm. This time the proper codes were exhibited. They will order necessary parts. I have read of others having certain other parts replaced such as the drive belt, water pump etc. can anyone think of anything else I should have replaced while the engine is torn down? Car has over 80k miles on it.
Old 02-19-13, 10:28 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

I have 80K On my car, just got it back for engine work. I decided to replace additional parts: serpentine belt, differential oil (only rear), water pump, spark plugs.
Old 02-19-13, 04:22 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

I am replacing the drive belt and spark plugs. The vehicle is under extended warranty for awhile longer and replacing the water pump now is over $400.00 . Maybe gambling that it will crap out during warranty is a good bet? Regardless, at that point, maybe I'll trade it in for another car.
Old 02-25-13, 01:02 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

I took mine in for the rough idle, they had it for like 2weeks when I got it back it still has the shudder, its weird cause if I put the car in neutral the shudder stops the car runs smooth but then I put it in druve and ut comes back
Old 02-25-13, 01:51 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
I took mine in for the rough idle, they had it for like 2weeks when I got it back it still has the shudder, its weird cause if I put the car in neutral the shudder stops the car runs smooth but then I put it in druve and ut comes back
Your getting the vibration because it looks like your AWD is lowered. If you raise it to stock level the vibrations go away
Old 02-25-13, 03:30 PM
1rocky
Driver School Candidate

Just got my gs300 back from dealer. All went well with "free" rebuild. I had them put new water pump while they already had the old one off for repair anyway.
Old 02-25-13, 06:32 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Still haven't heard of anything in Canada... pretty lame, I mean, did the parent company expect the rest of the world to not find out about this campaign and wonder why they aren't being treated with the same consideration? Every month that goes by without some acknowledgement about this turns me off on the brand more and more. I probably would have likely continued to be a Toyota customer for the rest of my life if it wasn't for this tidbit.
Old 02-25-13, 06:45 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Still haven't heard of anything in Canada... pretty lame, I mean, did the parent company expect the rest of the world to not find out about this campaign and wonder why they aren't being treated with the same consideration? Every month that goes by without some acknowledgement about this turns me off on the brand more and more. I probably would have likely continued to be a Toyota customer for the rest of my life if it wasn't for this tidbit.
VW pulled the same garbage ith me. My Passat diesel had a problem that VW in Germany issued a recall campaigne on but good ole VW in the USA wasn't doing the recall. They ended up having to replace the engine under warranty anyway but the wok looked like a home mechanic did the job. I got rid of my two VW's shortly after that and purchased two Lexus CPO vehicles at the same time.

We like ours because our dealer and Lexus stand behind their product or their customers. I hope Lexus of Canada steps up to the plate.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 02-26-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 06:51 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Have a lawyer write a lawyer to the Canada Lexus HQ's.
Old 02-26-13, 10:27 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stefnee
Dear GS 300 Owner:
At Lexus, we are dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continual efforts to meet your product expectations, Lexus would like to advise you of a Customer Support Program (CSP) which includesyour vehicle.
Lexus cares about our customers under certain driving conditions 2006 model year GS 300 and 2006 to certain 2010 model year IS 250 and IS 250C vehicles may exhibit an intermittent rough idle and/or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Check Engine
Lamp). The driver may notice this during the following conditions .
• Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature .
• Intermittently runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup.
If this condition occurs one or more of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes' (DTC's) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304,
P0305, and/or P0306 may be recorded.
'The check engine light may illuminate for reasons unrelated to this condition.
Although the engine is covered by the Lexus Powertrain Warranty for 6 Years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first),
we at Lexus care about your overall ownership experience. To assure you that we stand behind our product, we are
offering this CSP for this specific condition.

Hey thanks for the info. But I have another question. Is this for ALL 2006 GS 300s? I have a 2006 and I feel the mis fire but when I called corporate and gave them my vin# they said mine doesn't fall under that warranty?? Is it any other way to check?
Old 02-26-13, 03:26 PM
rj12
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering how much oil you all are losing prior to the repair. I haven't received a letter and just got off the phone with Lexus and they said there are no recalls for my car. I am on my second oil consumption test (the first time I wasn't losing any during the test). My last oil change it was short about 3-4 quarts. I never received a low warning light but after the first low oil level warning I have been checking between oil changes.

Originally Posted by Mrmarcus30
Hey thanks for the info. But I have another question. Is this for ALL 2006 GS 300s? I have a 2006 and I feel the mis fire but when I called corporate and gave them my vin# they said mine doesn't fall under that warranty?? Is it any other way to check?
Old 02-26-13, 06:38 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

I don't believe every car has the affected parts. if your cars vin # is part of the campaign, unless certain engine Codes can be produced by the technician under specific guidelines, no ring replacement will be performed. I heard the ring warranty has been extended on vehicles falling ino the vin range to 9 years, unlimited mileage. If your car doesn't throw the codes and you feel things are getting worse, ask them to check it again the next time you are in for service. My car seems to run much smoother and the MPG seem to be slightly better. That said, higher gas prices and more taxes my be decreasing traffic so the added mpg my be due to less stop n go. Time will tell. I just hope that this engine has a little more life because I love my GS300.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire