GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Fairly new TSB for rear headrest wrinkled

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 11:34 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fairly new TSB for rear headrest wrinkled

Hello,
Searching for the latest TSB I came across a fairly new TSB that was released june 10 2011 for Rear headrest wrinkled. I suggest anyone who still have original warranty to get it replaced. I noticed mine are a bit wrinkled, not as bad as in the picture of the TSB but I am out of original warranty and extended won't cover it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DownloadPdf.pdf (165.6 KB, 364 views)
Old 08-29-12, 06:58 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Counter measure = window tint.
Old 08-29-12, 10:39 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that on my 07 GS, bought it this year and has always wondered why the headrest on the right/rear looked and felt so awful, just like the one in the picture. I'm unfortunately out of warranty. Do you guys think using leatherique would help bring it back?
Old 08-29-12, 06:17 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
I have that on my 07 GS, bought it this year and has always wondered why the headrest on the right/rear looked and felt so awful, just like the one in the picture. I'm unfortunately out of warranty. Do you guys think using leatherique would help bring it back?
I've seen leatherique do some amazing stuff. It would not surprise me in the least to see that it would bring it back.
Old 08-29-12, 06:39 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I will be using leatherique on my seats soon (once we get a HOT day here in Vancouver...). I will report back on the results!
Old 08-30-12, 08:08 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue, i use leathertique religiously to clean my interior. Leathertique alone will not resolve the issue. I wipe down my interior each week with clean water, it does wonders over time for wrinkles in the leather bolsters on the seats. I have seen a little improvement on the headrests.

Although I have a CPO '08, I was able to get the replacements covered under the TSB. The car was still within the factory warranty period when the TSB came out. I had to do the research and work with Lexus corporate to get them covered, they will be changed out when I bring my car in for my next oil change.
Old 08-30-12, 10:29 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PeteinPA
I have the same issue, i use leathertique religiously to clean my interior. Leathertique alone will not resolve the issue. I wipe down my interior each week with clean water, it does wonders over time for wrinkles in the leather bolsters on the seats. I have seen a little improvement on the headrests.

Although I have a CPO '08, I was able to get the replacements covered under the TSB. The car was still within the factory warranty period when the TSB came out. I had to do the research and work with Lexus corporate to get them covered, they will be changed out when I bring my car in for my next oil change.
Are you using the cleaner and expecting it to condition it? That won't work...

You have to use the leatherique rejuvenator oil!!!
Old 08-31-12, 04:34 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I have used both. I have treated the GS twice with the rejuvenator oil. Admittedly I did not intentionally treat for the wrinkles on the headrests. Maybe if you keep it on for an extended period, that may help.

I do find in general by hydrating the leather on a weekly basis with just clean water the wrinkling on my seats seems to be diminishing. I have read on a few sites to keep the leather hydrated to cut down on and even remove the creases.

Just a thought, you could try steam cleaning the headrests, that may help as the steam would inject moisture.
Old 08-31-12, 05:56 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modern day leathers are clearcoated like the paint on the outside is - there is no need nor benefit from using the conditioners companies market, other than placebo effect.
The only thing able to penetrate the clear, is water molecules, which are already present in the cleaner.
All conditioners will do is sit on the surface, once the water has penetrated, and leave the emollients to grab dust and debris. That in turn, will effectively become an abrasive, accelerating wear on the clearcoat as your body moves whilst driving and getting in and out of the car.

I highly doubt Lexus issuing a TSB on rear headrest crinkling is simply a matter of rehydration - if it were, it'd be cheaper to tell customers they need to spritz them with a bit of water regularly.
I'd say there's an issue with clearcoat shrinkage as it ages/soaks up UV rays, but it may well be something else.

Steam cleaning leather is a no-no - too high a temperature involved. Just plain old regular tap water or de-ionised if you have it.
Old 08-31-12, 07:22 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Boron
Modern day leathers are clearcoated like the paint on the outside is - there is no need nor benefit from using the conditioners companies market, other than placebo effect.
The only thing able to penetrate the clear, is water molecules, which are already present in the cleaner.
All conditioners will do is sit on the surface, once the water has penetrated, and leave the emollients to grab dust and debris. That in turn, will effectively become an abrasive, accelerating wear on the clearcoat as your body moves whilst driving and getting in and out of the car.

I highly doubt Lexus issuing a TSB on rear headrest crinkling is simply a matter of rehydration - if it were, it'd be cheaper to tell customers they need to spritz them with a bit of water regularly.
I'd say there's an issue with clearcoat shrinkage as it ages/soaks up UV rays, but it may well be something else.

Steam cleaning leather is a no-no - too high a temperature involved. Just plain old regular tap water or de-ionised if you have it.
Nice!
Old 08-31-12, 08:42 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

So I normally use lexol cleaner and conditioner on my leather seats, what you are saying is the best thing for me to do is to use the cleaner only and not the conditioner? I do do weekly wipe downs with a damped microfiber towel on my seats, and plan on using leatherique (both cleaner and rejuvonile oil) once a year.
Old 08-31-12, 09:35 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Leatherique rejuvenating oil/conditioner is for the older leathers, such as in classic cars.
Modern leathers, as in the past 12-15 years, that have made their way down to the mass market cars rather than being the preserve of the high end, as it used to be, only need a regular vacuum to clean crevices/seams, and a cleaner to remove any soiling.
Some people will use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the interior trim/plastics, and it claims to be suitable for leather, but I tried it once on the steering wheel of the Honda, and that was the one and only time!
I've tended to flit back and forth between it and Einszett Cockpit Cleaner, and good leather products from UK companies.
Old 09-01-12, 07:16 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Same here. Right rear only.