GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Replacing brake dust shield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 08:07 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing brake dust shield?

Hi CL,

I have a chronic problem whereby the passenger side front brake dust shield keeps rubbing up against the rotor during left-hand turns, causing an ugly-sounding scraping/grinding noise.

I've tried pushing the shield inwards and sometimes the noise will go away temporarily, but it ultimately comes back. Is there a reason why it keeps getting bent back so that it rubs against the rotors?

I actually ordered a replacement dust shield (special order from California) but when I took it to an independent mechanic to get it replaced, he said he'd have to take the ball bearings out first before being able to replace the dust shield. He then explained that if he took out the ball bearings, I may have to get new ones. He priced the ball bearings out to be around $450 plus 1-2 hours of labour I believe. I don't know much about this kinda stuff so I took him at his word.

The mechanic said he tried to push the shield into shape and the noise went away for a few days, but it's now back so I assume the dust shield has bent back to touching the rotors.

Is what the mechanic telling me correct? Do I need new ball bearings if he takes them out? Is the removal of ball bearings necessary to switch the dust shield? Has anyone changed their dust shield before? Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've been having this problem off and on for the better part of a year now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-12, 08:19 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The wheel bearings come as an assembly, nobody takes the bearings out unless they are talking about the bearing assembly in which case I don't know why you would need to replace the wheel bearings just because they were temporarily removed.
Old 08-28-12, 09:13 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

So does that mean the assembly can be removed/reinstalled without actually popping out the individual bearings? Meaning the bearing assembly can be removed and re-installed without any fear of the bearings/bearings assembly being damaged and/or needing to be replaced? (Assuming there are no problems with the bearings to begin with.)
Old 08-28-12, 01:51 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

I had a same issue, few times all i did was take a long screw driver and banged the dust shield back not even removing the wheels. Make sure to push it back at every side not just top or bottom
Old 08-28-12, 01:53 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Are you using after market rotors?
Old 08-28-12, 02:09 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Are you using after market rotors?
Thanks for your reply. I've been constantly pushing the shield back with a long screwdriver but it's only a temporary fix. It always comes back into contact with the rotor after a few days. After about a year of this (and when lazy, driving with it in contact with the rotor), I want to actually fix this problem once and for all.

And I am using OEM rotors.
Old 08-28-12, 09:20 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

What the mechanic told you is only partially correct. It's true that you have to remove the wheel bearing in order to remove the brake dust shield, however the GS has an enclosed wheel bearing, meaning there's only 4 bolts holding the wheel bearing to the hub as opposed to the press-in style bearing he is talking about

the bearing is shown in this diagram
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2007.html

The dust shield fits between the hub and the wheel bearing, so realistically there's no need to replace the bearing as it in an enclosed unit,

Hope that helps
Old 08-28-12, 11:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Just take a long screw driver, and a big hammer, Bang it a few times hard to push it back, make sure the edges of the brake dust shield are not curved too close to the rotor and you should be fine. I had same issue on more then one occasion and a long screw driver and a hammer did the job for me. It is also weird it only happen when turning the wheel all the way to the left or to the right. Now its silent as a mouse.
Old 08-29-12, 05:48 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

easy fix...bend it back and forth until it brakes or cut it off. I wouldnt replace it or pay someone to replace it. This is what I suggest.
Old 08-29-12, 06:41 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine is rubbing. I'm doing my brakes tonight with Passnu2, Ill take pictures of what is done to fix the shield problem. I'm not sure what I'll do, but it will be taken care of.
Old 08-29-12, 01:30 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Thanks for all the advice guys. This morning it wasn't making any scraping sounds so I'm truly confused.

If it makes any more noise, I'll just use a screwdriver and a hammer this time (before I would just push in with the screwdriver...) and see if that helps.

Mikeyy, thanks for the information! I don't know much about this kind of stuff but from what you and BinaryJay have said, it seems that since it's a whole assembly being removed instead of individual bearings being popped out, it shouldn't pose a problem to remove and reinstall. I will keep this in mind the next time I go in for an oil change and ask my other independent mechanic his opinion.
Old 08-29-12, 06:23 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Well, not much to take pictures off. Just shoved a huge screw driver between the rotor and the shield and bent the hell out of it.

Silent now.
Old 09-04-12, 06:14 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Not so silent anymore. Noise came back as was stated earlier.

Hmmmmmm....
Old 09-05-12, 01:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine started to do the same dam thing, had to remove the rears for the larger BBK kit and the fronts I think were a bit harder to get off so I cut them out and NO more noise...we can cut yours out with my air tool and you wont hear it ever again
Old 11-04-12, 08:14 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
Hi CL,

I have a chronic problem whereby the passenger side front brake dust shield keeps rubbing up against the rotor during left-hand turns, causing an ugly-sounding scraping/grinding noise.

I've tried pushing the shield inwards and sometimes the noise will go away temporarily, but it ultimately comes back. Is there a reason why it keeps getting bent back so that it rubs against the rotors?

I actually ordered a replacement dust shield (special order from California) but when I took it to an independent mechanic to get it replaced, he said he'd have to take the ball bearings out first before being able to replace the dust shield. He then explained that if he took out the ball bearings, I may have to get new ones. He priced the ball bearings out to be around $450 plus 1-2 hours of labour I believe. I don't know much about this kinda stuff so I took him at his word.

The mechanic said he tried to push the shield into shape and the noise went away for a few days, but it's now back so I assume the dust shield has bent back to touching the rotors.

Is what the mechanic telling me correct? Do I need new ball bearings if he takes them out? Is the removal of ball bearings necessary to switch the dust shield? Has anyone changed their dust shield before? Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've been having this problem off and on for the better part of a year now.

Thanks in advance!
My 07GS350AWD is experiencing the same problem recently. Slow left turn or driving in circle counter clockwise. Can't tell if the problem is bad wheel bearings or brake dust shield touching the rotor.
I'm curious what caused the brake dust shield rubbing against the rotor during the turn.
Brake dust shield & wheel bearing are covered under EW. Let see what deal says when I bring the car in next week.

Quick Reply: Replacing brake dust shield?