GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why Did You Choose the GS?

Old 07-25-12, 07:35 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a brand new GTI before (from 09). Dealership experience with VW is terrible, fun as hell to drive though... wish mine didn't spend so much time in the shop. Had an Audi before... quattro was unstoppable, my A/C was not. Always seemed to have to be fixing something or preparing for a big expense with them.

Lexus:
-Reliability / Durability
-Dealership experience here in Indy is fantastic
-Style of GS is enduring, not to many around here either.

BMW
-Don't care for anything but the E46, and all of them I found for sale were beat. Love the E46.

Merc
-Just don't give a crap about Mercs.

Acura
-Can't stand the pointy face. Wife always points them out because they are ugly.

Infiniti
-Could not find anything at the time that I liked better than the GS.

Ford
-I'm not a redneck or a rental car company.

Chevrolet
-The look... the feel... of plastic

Scion
-Would love an FR-S, but the twins would not fit... wife would ***** about it being too small.

Subaru
-I'm not a rally driver, multiple dog owner, lesbian, or a big fan of plaid flannel shirts.

Honda
-Accord looks like an alien space ship designed by an accountant with only a ruler and coffee mug. Dime a dozen.

Toyota
-Camry and Avalon = zzzzzzzzz... exciting like an after thanksgiving food coma.

KIA
-Works, but not for me.

Hyundai
-(see KIA)

Mitsubishi
-Other than the EVO, what else do they even have? Seriously, I don't even know.

Porsche
-Waiting for me down the road for the mid-life crisis.

Suzuki
-Not on my radar, but I hear the Kizashi is nice.

Chrysler
-I'm not a rapper.

Dodge
-Don't you have to have at least 4 cases of Bud Light in your garage to drive a Dodge? I don't.

Fiat
-Too slow, too awkward.

Smart
-haha, no

Nissan
-Great cars, just wish everyone else didn't figure that out. No individuality.

Jaguar
-Seem to be either really really expensive or dirt cheap... not hard to figure out why.

Land Rover
-(see Jaguar)

Volvo
-Had one once. That was enough.

Mini
-Fun as hell, rides like hell, still want one.

Buick
-I need to drive one of the new ones, I hear they are nice.

Cadillac
-Don't seem to age gracefully, but still like the CTS line.

My brain is fried from database overload otherwise I'd keep going...

Last edited by Simmsled; 07-25-12 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-26-12, 09:38 AM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Had a brand new GTI before (from 09). Dealership experience with VW is terrible, fun as hell to drive though... wish mine didn't spend so much time in the shop. Had an Audi before... quattro was unstoppable, my A/C was not. Always seemed to have to be fixing something or preparing for a big expense with them.

Lexus:
-Reliability / Durability
-Dealership experience here in Indy is fantastic
-Style of GS is enduring, not to many around here either.

BMW
-Don't care for anything but the E46, and all of them I found for sale were beat. Love the E46.

Merc
-Just don't give a crap about Mercs.

Acura
-Can't stand the pointy face. Wife always points them out because they are ugly.

Infiniti
-Could not find anything at the time that I liked better than the GS.

Ford
-I'm not a redneck or a rental car company.

Chevrolet
-The look... the feel... of plastic

Scion
-Would love an FR-S, but the twins would not fit... wife would ***** about it being too small.

Subaru
-I'm not a rally driver, multiple dog owner, lesbian, or a big fan of plaid flannel shirts.

Honda
-Accord looks like an alien space ship designed by an accountant with only a ruler and coffee mug. Dime a dozen.

Toyota
-Camry and Avalon = zzzzzzzzz... exciting like an after thanksgiving food coma.

KIA
-Works, but not for me.

Hyundai
-(see KIA)

Mitsubishi
-Other than the EVO, what else do they even have? Seriously, I don't even know.

Porsche
-Waiting for me down the road for the mid-life crisis.

Suzuki
-Not on my radar, but I hear the Kizashi is nice.

Chrysler
-I'm not a rapper.

Dodge
-Don't you have to have at least 4 cases of Bud Light in your garage to drive a Dodge? I don't.

Fiat
-Too slow, too awkward.

Smart
-haha, no

Nissan
-Great cars, just wish everyone else didn't figure that out. No individuality.

Jaguar
-Seem to be either really really expensive or dirt cheap... not hard to figure out why.

Land Rover
-(see Jaguar)

Volvo
-Had one once. That was enough.

Mini
-Fun as hell, rides like hell, still want one.

Buick
-I need to drive one of the new ones, I hear they are nice.

Cadillac
-Don't seem to age gracefully, but still like the CTS line.

My brain is fried from database overload otherwise I'd keep going...
Post of the thread... Pretty much says it all...

Spend any amount of time at MB, BMW, Audi, or Cadillac sites and you will find, right quick post after post about A/C systems leaking, P/S systems failing, head gaskets blowing, electronic mysteries, timing chains eating sprockets. And those are FAN sites!

It is odd that over here at a Lexus fan site the two biggest issues with these cars are... interior squeaks and the high beam bulbs not matching the low beam HID's...

When 90% of the posts are about tinted bulbs you know you have a rock solid car.

As for Acura, my wife points out the huge grill too...says that the owner needs a grill that big to make up for other short comings.
Old 07-26-12, 10:30 AM
KevinM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 95 GS300 -> 98 GS400 -> 07 GS350. Toyota quality, reliability, and they maintain their value. Started with Supras back in 98 or 99 and the quality just isn't matched.

I go to some of the local auctions and you can see it plain as day. Many neglected cars, but the Lexus LS's, GS's and RX's still bring good money. Sitting next to the competition you see less interior wear, less tears, and less broken pieces.
Old 07-26-12, 07:21 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

It makes me feel kinda smart for buying a Lexus. Guess this is why Toyota makes so much money.

I will say this, if Toyota ever figures out how to make an affordable every-man's car that is fun to drive and looks halfway decent... its all over for a lot of car companies.
Old 07-26-12, 11:00 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

it seems like it won't be long Hyundai will catch up...

just like how japanese cars used to be, they used to be weak and boring looking, and look how good they got to, and their electronic, Sony was used to be one of the big game, now Samsung and LG beat it to dust...

for some reason i am thinking my next car would be a Hyundai but my family told me to stay away from it
Old 07-27-12, 12:29 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great car.... What else can i say. Considered the others mentioned. Did my homework,,, 2013 lexus gs f sport emerged at the top of the check list. That's all she wrote
Old 07-27-12, 05:57 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Great car.... What else can i say. Considered the others mentioned. Did my homework,,, 2013 lexus gs f sport emerged at the top of the check list. That's all she wrote
I love everything about the F-Sport except the front. As much as I really want to love it, I would have to change it to the regular front end. Nice purchase!
Old 07-27-12, 01:16 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Originally Posted by ferrerski
2007 GS 450H
- Toyota reliability and maintenance cost
- I like the 5 series a lot, but I just don't feel the reliability is as good as a Lexus (same thing w/ E class)
- E class looks boring (unless you're talking about the E55, but that's a different story)
- The 450H is a unique hybrid with it's power
- Infiniti M didn't seem luxurious compared to the GS
- Infiniti G, 3 Series and C Class are too small and I don't feel are in the same class
Totally agree.
Old 07-29-12, 09:05 AM
dip
Driver School Candidate

I'm going through this exact scenario. I've even posted on the MB forums and got mixed messages there but on here its clearly the GS350. I love the feel and power of the 535i but hard to find a nice Mpackage and feature together but also not sure about the maintenance
Old 07-29-12, 01:41 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

I was actually considering purchasing m35 before my 06 gs purchase. I had g35 and, frankly, i miss the exhaust note but when compared to any Lexus, Infiniti falls short. Although my GS have minor problems, but I love my Lexus!
Old 07-29-12, 03:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a GS for my wife first. I came to like it's unique styling, good power and as always, Lexus reliability. So I got one for myself. Wifey was giving me a hard time sharing hers.
Old 08-04-12, 06:51 PM
kennylexsc
Driver

When you see a GS car drives next to you, you just want to see who the driver is, this is the power of luxury, that's why I got to get a GS, simple as that
Old 08-05-12, 07:54 AM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

In a nutshell I purchased a GS for consistant reliability. When in the market for a used luxury vehicle its tough to trust in my experience even the most well kept MB, BMW, Cadillac etc While all very nice cars even the most meticulosly kept Mercedes or BMW will have its issues just due to design or function, as someone mentioned in a earler post if the two biggest problems with your car is a little rattle and bulbs then I can live with that, but if Im just counting down the days until I have a suspension issue or a/c leak knowing its gonna cost me upwards of $4-5k then i'll pass (especially when purchasing a car out of warranty) made that mistake twice , hopefully never again
Old 08-05-12, 07:33 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought it for a few reasons...

First, I work in the business, it was a lease return and was $25k... In the spring of 2010 with 37k miles, fresh Goodyears and very recent brakes, AWD Navi car. It's grey with black gut. I drove an 06 GS300 for a week and liked it except that it was gutless, this isn't gutless. Plus it's not a bad looking car, AWD would be nice in the snow and there's a ton of Lexuses in my extended family and they've been incredibly reliable.

This one hasn't been reliable, it's been very problematic and Lexus NA has been no help. Nothing was fixed under warranty and at 52k I was given an over $5k estimate to fix certain problems with no promise that the mirrors would ever work right.

The sunroof rattles. That's annoying. The right mirror tilts all the way to the upper right while driving. That's scary. I also spent over $500 on a rr wheel bearing at 52k miles. I had complained about it making noise several times under warranty and was told nothing was wrong by 3 diff Lexus dealers.

My extended family isn't driving as many Lexuses as we used to, this one is my first and last, looking at either an XF or the new XTS.
Old 08-08-12, 01:51 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Too many problems with BMW. My 330 would go back and forth to the shop as I fell back on my 96 Land Cruiser. I also noted that my wifes 07 Camry was trouble free and had fewer and cheaper service calls.

I boiled it down to the M and the 3 trim levels of the GS after test driving each, The 450 was a clear winner.

Didnt like the intr layout of the M