GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What aftermarket Battery Should I Replace OEM with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 12:26 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What aftermarket Battery Should I Replace OEM with?

So I've replaced most of my lights with LED's, have a radar detector, 2 chargers for my phone and iPod, as well as a 500W amp and JL 12 W3 sub. Stock battery is practically dead to the point where I need an external jump every other time. I'm looking for a battery replacement that can provide the car with enough juice! I'm really hoping it's not a problem with the alternator either..but I'm pretty positive it's the battery.

So far I've looked at Interstate and DieHard batteries. If anyone could chime in on the size or type of battery they bought and recommend would love to hear your input! Thanks
Old 07-09-12, 02:27 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

yeah, stock battery sucks *****

Optima yellow top, the biggest size possible will fit, but i opted for the one right under the largest one.

D34/78 is the size I used, you'll have to bend the terminals out a little bit (very little modification tbh for a very high output battery).

I used that and I had to use some adaptors to get it to fit in my car properly (because the battery's smaller than O.E.).

I'd say you can squeeze in a D27F in there if you so desire, a lot more juice for your amp and future needs!
Old 07-09-12, 10:16 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

I am using duralast gold, it comes with 6 year warranty and has more capacity then yellow top. You can purchase it in auto zone.
Old 07-09-12, 11:06 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yellow top is reverse for my car terminal. (GS430) so I use red top.
Old 07-09-12, 11:08 AM
Roe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
yeah, stock battery sucks *****

Optima yellow top, the biggest size possible will fit, but i opted for the one right under the largest one.

D34/78 is the size I used, you'll have to bend the terminals out a little bit (very little modification tbh for a very high output battery).

I used that and I had to use some adaptors to get it to fit in my car properly (because the battery's smaller than O.E.).

I'd say you can squeeze in a D27F in there if you so desire, a lot more juice for your amp and future needs!
Yup, this right here.
Old 07-09-12, 11:38 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I am using duralast gold, it comes with 6 year warranty and has more capacity then yellow top. You can purchase it in auto zone.
I just replaced my batter with this too. After doing a some research, it appears Optima's quality has really gone down in recent years, so I went with the duralast gold.
Old 07-09-12, 11:51 AM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Optima has really gone down . I think one of the best batteries right now are the Costco brand. They are basically the same as Interstate batteries that are made by Johnson Controls. They have great CCA ratings and the warranty is awesome.
Your car runs off of the alternator when the engine is running. The battery is only there to start the car and to power the car in accessory mode which you won't be using most of the time anyway and even if you did time to time to listen to the stereo or anything, a regualr battery is fine. There is really no reason why you need an optima battery in my opinion.
Old 07-09-12, 12:23 PM
mr nut
Pole Position

I would go with this...dont really need to spend the extra dough for the optima.
Old 07-09-12, 12:58 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

+7 Duralast Gold in both Lexus and the 4runner
Old 07-09-12, 01:20 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Optima yellow top enough said lol.
Old 07-09-12, 04:03 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Thanks fellas! Just got the Duralast Gold for $110. They wanted $50 to install and I was like wtf no way that's half the price of the battery! I end up doing it myself. But the Asst. manager ended up just helping me installing it for free! Thanks for good look CL fam!
Old 07-09-12, 08:30 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

o'rly? I didn't like the duralast gold because it needs to be replaced often (I mean, no complaints but still).

Originally Posted by worker
Yellow top is reverse for my car terminal. (GS430) so I use red top.
Are you sure worker? I use the Yellow top in my vehicle, 2006 GS430. Like I said, you need to bend the terminals a bit to get them to fit right, but MAN do they perform well

Originally Posted by Roe
Yup, this right here.
Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
I just replaced my batter with this too. After doing a some research, it appears Optima's quality has really gone down in recent years, so I went with the duralast gold.
Really now?.... I got my Optima battery for $125 after MIR and instant discount. Both ordered throug hthe phone because advanced auto doesn't let you buy what you want, they go by the suggestions

Originally Posted by saefongc90
Optima yellow top enough said lol.
+1!!

Originally Posted by Mesca
Thanks fellas! Just got the Duralast Gold for $110. They wanted $50 to install and I was like wtf no way that's half the price of the battery! I end up doing it myself. But the Asst. manager ended up just helping me installing it for free! Thanks for good look CL fam!
what ridiculous place charged u? All battery changes at all the local auto parts stores do it for FREE. My guess is you got it from advanced/autozone, right?
Old 07-09-12, 08:33 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

No problem man, i also threw out the plastic piece that hugged the oem battery it just wouldn't fit. I have had it for 6 months and i cant oill the battery im all stock but blasting music while car is off didn't last long on my oem while here it lasted for atleast 2 hours.
Old 07-09-12, 10:37 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
what ridiculous place charged u? All battery changes at all the local auto parts stores do it for FREE. My guess is you got it from advanced/autozone, right?
Haha Autozone. The guy helping me out was a car junkie too, he had an EK and helped me out for free anyway

No problem man, i also threw out the plastic piece that hugged the oem battery it just wouldn't fit. I have had it for 6 months and i cant oill the battery im all stock but blasting music while car is off didn't last long on my oem while here it lasted for atleast 2 hours.
Heh that plastic piece was giving us trouble during installation too. I kept it on though because it a bracket stuck on that held two clips for a certain electrical wire. Good to hear I could blast my music for much longer than stock would allow me!
Old 07-10-12, 01:16 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duralast gold for me as well, outstanding battery with excellent warranty

Quick Reply: What aftermarket Battery Should I Replace OEM with?