GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why does dealership service suck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 10:14 PM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Why does dealership service suck?

So I go in to the Stevens Creek dealership in San Jose, Ca for a couple things I couldn't do myself. I wanted to get a used smart key reprogrammed and my transmission fluid replaced. So I get a call back when the car is done telling me they can't program the remote because the service tech says "these keys can only be programmed once and that’s it” but they offered to sell me a new one for $350. BS. They also told me they set my tire pressure to the recommended 32psi. As I leave the service center I notice I can feel every road bump. I get out and check the tire pressure and all four tires are at 42psi. Pissed off I call back and take the car back to fix. The advisor tells me the techs gauge was broken. BS. Makes me wonder if they even did the transmission fluid replacement if they couldn't do something as simple as the tire pressure.

Just had to get that out. By the way, of anyone knows a better place to service a Lexus or where they can reprogram a used smart key in the bay area, let me know.

Oh yeah, they still charged me for trying!!!
Old 06-26-12, 06:19 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

You wonder why stealerships get such a bad rap. The good ones are few and far between. Every car I've owned I worked on myself even during the warranty period unless it was something I could not absolutely tackle myself (ie engine internals, electrical, transmission) or if it was a recall.

In terms of the reprogramming - check around. I purchased a used fob off ebay and took to the dealer with typed instructions from the ebay seller. The tech disregarded the instructions and said - 'sorry we can't reprogram because this is a used fob'. I said "no ****", did you read the instructions? He explains, "no we left them in your cup holder". So I then proceeded to explain to the tech that they must wipe the old fob clean before reprogramming it - duh! After listening to me, it took them 1 hr. and it worked just fine. Funny thing is, they also offered me a new fob for $350 lol. I mean, how the hell is that thing $350? This is criminal.

I've come to realize just like doctors with their patients, most dealerships do not like well-informed customers. They want and expect you to be brainless so they can just 'operate' on you or your vehicle and bill the **** out of you for it. I run in to this frequently because the average lexus owner is the wealthier 60 year old white male who comes in for service, drops his car off, sits in the lounge, and asks no questions regarding what is done, cost, etc.

Sorry for the rant but I agree with you. At the end of the day, if you do want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Last edited by alchemist; 06-26-12 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-26-12, 06:29 AM
Lex6583
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that dude...I know how you feel. Now a days, it seems like if the repair work is minor....stay away from those dealership service centers.
Old 06-26-12, 07:01 AM
uncandid
Driver

Thanks guys.

Yeah the only reason I went there was because it was something I couldn't do, but I'd almost rather not get it done than take it there again.

Taking the instructions with you was a great idea...if they even look at them. its like you not only have to pay triple the price for the service, you have to beg and plead and almost do half the work for them.

I called the 800 customer service number and told them about my experience. Suppose to get a call back...we'll see.
Old 06-26-12, 12:55 PM
jttran28
Driver School Candidate

I have had horrible experience with Steven's Creek Lexus especially when I was looking to buy a car. I ended up go to Lexus of Pleasanton, a Hendrick dealer group. They have been nothing but outstanding... except for the scratch on my spoiler which they fixed without hesitation. I'll be picking up the car today...

Ron Rio (service manager) and Jim Fell (adviser) is awesome there.
Old 06-26-12, 05:28 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i couldn't agree more.. bought my 2010 Lexus RX450h from them 2 years ago, got a good deal.. $45k OTD fully loaded. took the car there for the first free oil change blah blah blah, the next morning when my mom drove it to the gym, came back at the parkin lot, oil leak EVERYWHERE!!! , called roadside assistance (from Triple A, not lexus) they checked the dipstick it is completely empty =..= so they tow the car to the dealer and they even dare to say it is not engine oil, they are from your AC, BS!! if its AC why would they even replace the engine oil for us again?! free of charge? there were quite a few guys at the gym knows quite a lot about car and they can all tell those were engine oil the first glance when they see it on the ground...

so next.. a year later, all 4 tires wears out, car only has 20k miles, not run flat tires, inner edge, didn't trust the dealer anymore so i went to a indy shop to get tire change, the guy look at it, he refuse to change the tires for us, he insist that all 4 suspension has problems, so we took it to the dealer, they didn't want to spend money on our car so they say nothing wrong with it, there, we change all 4 tires and will see how it goes, if all 4 new tires wears out again within 20k miles, they gonna owe us 2 sets of tires + full set of suspension

now got my Lexus GS450h, for some reason i love the GS a LOT more than the RX, maybe RX is on Camry chassis? anyway, going to drop my GS off for oil change, AC flush, key detection problem on monday... wwill see how Lexus of Las Vegas service goes..

sorry for bad english
Old 06-26-12, 06:46 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, what was the deal with the oil? Did they not tighten the drain plug or filter?
Old 06-26-12, 07:33 PM
mr nut
Pole Position

There are a few good dealerships around. You have to go to a few and find one that is honest...
Old 06-26-12, 09:07 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm currently having trouble with Lexus of Orlando, they scratched my B-pillar, refused to change it, had a leather guy fix it and said they tried their best. After that the door is all messed up, and i told them it's because YOUR service guy did it, not me.... And now we're back at the "we'll try our best to repair it" again.... I'm starting to get fed up... Fixing to either take it to small claims or corporate.... corporate hasn't helped me ONE bit when i was kicked out of Lexus of Pembroke Pines..... now over there they've got absolutely HORRIBLE service.... salesman called his manager and told me to go down to the little street vendors and buy myself a honda civic because I can't afford a Lexus... (they were selling me a 60k 06 GS300 for like....35k, completely unloaded).
Old 06-27-12, 06:05 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP. How far did you drive before you got out to check the pressure? Did you know the pressure needs to be checked while the tires are cool right? So perhaps by the time you checked the air inside has already heated up. It doesn't take long for them to heat up either.
Old 06-27-12, 08:34 AM
uncandid
Driver

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
To the OP. How far did you drive before you got out to check the pressure? Did you know the pressure needs to be checked while the tires are cool right? So perhaps by the time you checked the air inside has already heated up. It doesn't take long for them to heat up either.
I probably drove 10 min before I stopped to check. The thing is I wouldn't think even with heat expansion it would rise 10psi.
Old 06-27-12, 09:19 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3-5 psi is the given amount that tyres increase in pressure once driven more than a few miles, so this should be factored in when inflating them.