GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire recommendations anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 07:05 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Nitto Neo Gen, one of the best tire I've ever had. Quet ride, amazing traction, I had them on my car for about 10K miles, no wear is visible so far. BTW, they have free UPS/Fedex shipping. I bought 3 set from this company, never had to wait for more then 5 days.
Old 06-14-12, 07:07 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nickfresh
Hello, new owner of a 2009 GS 460. Love, love, love the car, but not sure I love the run flats that it came with. The previous owner put two brand new OEM's on the front just before I bought it. The back two are original, and I just failed an inspection because of wear to one of the rear tires (inside edge). It was on the front before the replacement, and it is basically bald on the inner 1/3. The reviews I read of the Dunlops it came with as well as other UHP run flats are quite awful. The quality of the ride doesn't bother me much; I think the car rides incredibly. My concern is the cost vs. the life of the tires. This car only has 18K miles on it, and it already has two new tires and needs two more. I drive fast, and so did the previous owner, but we're not doing donuts in parking lots!

Of course, it doesn't have a spare, so if I got regular tires, I would have to buy the donut which the dealer quoted me about $400. That would wash the savings in conventional tires this round, but down the road, I could save a lot.

I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but I couldn't find it, and I am very new to the forum (what an amazing resource, by the way!). My apologies for re-treading an old topic if that's what I am doing. Pun intended?
Call junk yards abound, you should be able to find the donut for around $50. Definately regular tires. A lot quieter, much softer ride.
Old 06-14-12, 07:47 PM
Fation
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regular Tires!! Run flats are not worth it. I get better MPG, smother ride, less hassle with the regular tires.
Old 06-14-12, 08:54 PM
Harlemboi
Driver

run flats are horrible!!!!!! get rid of em.. regular tires 100%
Old 06-14-12, 09:06 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i was gonna ask this question as well.. but i have a GS450h knock on wood ever since i start driving in my life i never have a single flat tire and my trunk is too small to put any spare so that's why the car came with run flat, shall i take that risk?
Old 06-14-12, 10:52 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ♥ run flats. and you will too if ever you have a blow out, which can happen to anyone.

my blowout was My fault. my car is lowered and so has a bit of camber, which of course leads to the inner tires wearing out much sooner. well i didnt replace a tire soon enough and im on I5 north goin highway speeds and i hear a POP. i knew what it was and proceeded to pull over. even with the tire blown out, the ride didnt change, and when i pulled over. the ride height on that side had barely decreased.

runflats are for those 'what ifs' most people dont care about what ifs and would rather take their chances. i guess its a personal preference.
Old 06-15-12, 05:10 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Bargain price for a high quality tire. These were a great find.
Old 06-15-12, 05:16 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S. Have had these before and the new price point for them makes them cheaper than the DWS.

If you can get the Cooper RS3-A in your area, they are bench-marked against the best Michelin has to offer.

I have Michelin Primacys on right now, but I'll be going to one of the aforementioned tires when I make the switch.

Good luck man!
Old 06-15-12, 07:42 AM
dekidex
Driver

Default agree

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S. Have had these before and the new price point for them makes them cheaper than the DWS.

If you can get the Cooper RS3-A in your area, they are bench-marked against the best Michelin has to offer.

I have Michelin Primacys on right now, but I'll be going to one of the aforementioned tires when I make the switch.

Good luck man!

Just had brand new PPZN put on and drove for 1300 km trough europe,mountain roads and italian highways...very smooth and grip is fantastic...
Old 06-15-12, 07:43 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also recommend doing a search for "tire recommendation" in this forum. This topic has been pop up so many times and has been well covered in those threads.

I vote for DWS for MD since we don't get a lot of snow. Mostly Dry and Wet.
Old 06-15-12, 07:53 AM
ferrerski
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i was gonna ask this question as well.. but i have a GS450h knock on wood ever since i start driving in my life i never have a single flat tire and my trunk is too small to put any spare so that's why the car came with run flat, shall i take that risk?
I'm in the same boat
Old 06-15-12, 12:42 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

DWS is being closed out at places like TireRack and DiscountTire/AmericasTire. DW already went out. Not sure why.
Old 06-15-12, 12:58 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I just put on a set of Conti DWs (live in CA so don't need the DWS) 245s in the front and 275s in the rear. Probably a 1000 miles on them now and I like them. Quiet and smooth ride. I had Proxes T1Rs on it before and I think the car handled much better with the Proxes than the Contis but the Contis are still good. If you can afford it look at the Proxes.
Old 06-15-12, 01:12 PM
nickfresh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the feedback. The plan is to buy a spare($250 on eBay as opposed to $450 from Lexus dealer) and get two new tires. Tire store said that having two regulars and two runflats won't matter as far as rotation as long as all tires are same size, but I wonder about ride quality. The ride quality now doesn't bother me at all, and I would like to avoid buying four tires when I only need two. Any expert opinions out there?
Old 06-15-12, 01:57 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This weekend I have a 500 Mile single day road trip to make and I'm happy that this will be the last trip on my Micheline Primacy HP tires... Grip like crazy, sound like you are driving a gravel road at slow speeds.

P Zero Nero A/S on order as a fathers day gift to me and the High-Bird

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations anyone?