GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is there a consensus on F-Sport Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 04:42 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, on the color - silver is a fav family color. I think we have 8 silver cars in our immediate family. You can't go wrong with silver. My Ford F-150 4x4 is black & silver, as are both of my Harley's.

But somehow, while I love silver on a Cayman, I prefer a dark metallic grey on it as my first choice.

Old 03-12-13, 05:26 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Default Question on F-Sport sways re: ride change

This question has been addressed to some extent, but I'd appreciate any input that could add more info on the effect of the F-Sport sways on the ride. We all know that the car will react to quick turns by staying much flatter, and the steering being much more responsive in feel.

I know that technically, on smooth roads, the actual ride will not be affected where the left tires and right tires are encountering the same rises and falls. The arms on the bars on left and right will be moving up and down simultaneously = no effect on ride.

But, where the road undulations are different on the left and right, the sway arms will not be moving together, but one side will be resisting movement, resulting in effect of an additional spring coming into play. Thus the ride will be stiffer than stock sways when encountering bumps on one side that are not on the other side.

So the real question is, how much stiffer is the ride when encountering surfaces where the left and right sides are different? I know this will be difficult to describe, but I'd love any feedback anyone can give that is using the F-Sport sways....

TIA,

gn

Old 03-12-13, 06:30 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gatornappe
This question has been addressed to some extent, but I'd appreciate any input that could add more info on the effect of the F-Sport sways on the ride. We all know that the car will react to quick turns by staying much flatter, and the steering being much more responsive in feel.

I know that technically, on smooth roads, the actual ride will not be affected where the left tires and right tires are encountering the same rises and falls. The arms on the bars on left and right will be moving up and down simultaneously = no effect on ride.

But, where the road undulations are different on the left and right, the sway arms will not be moving together, but one side will be resisting movement, resulting in effect of an additional spring coming into play. Thus the ride will be stiffer than stock sways when encountering bumps on one side that are not on the other side.

So the real question is, how much stiffer is the ride when encountering surfaces where the left and right sides are different? I know this will be difficult to describe, but I'd love any feedback anyone can give that is using the F-Sport sways....

TIA,

gn

I've had the F-Sport sways on my '06 GS430 for a while now and did not notice ANY difference in the ride under normal conditions. The change (improvement) is only noticeable during moderate or hard cornering and at those points, the car feels much more controlled and confident. It's still a Lexus and doesn't feel "tuned" at all, just a sharper cornering vehicle and as I stated nearly a year ago, it's how the car should have been delivered from the factory.
Old 03-12-13, 08:28 PM
vadimo
Rookie

How much are the sway bars? Are you guys purchasing at the dealer or online?

Ordering some RCA blocks and looks like people say getting the sway bars with them is a great route for AWD.
Old 03-12-13, 09:24 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Originally Posted by twylie
I've had the F-Sport sways on my '06 GS430 for a while now and did not notice ANY difference in the ride under normal conditions. The change (improvement) is only noticeable during moderate or hard cornering and at those points, the car feels much more controlled and confident. It's still a Lexus and doesn't feel "tuned" at all, just a sharper cornering vehicle and as I stated nearly a year ago, it's how the car should have been delivered from the factory.
Thank Twilie - you sealed it. Ordering sways Thursday, putting them in Sat. Dealer parts guy said one day shipping to him.

Can't wait........

gn
Old 03-12-13, 09:27 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Originally Posted by vadimo

Ordering some RCA blocks and looks like people say getting the sway bars with them is a great route for AWD.
Going through dealer: $500.00. Much less than I was expecting from Lexus. Was expecting $750 - $1,000. knowing how they rip you on everything.

Might find after-market for less, but these are proven, factory designed, with too many rave reviews.
Yeah, they had a bushing design problem at first, but it appears that they've solved that.

Not a bad investment for what you get.

I'd love some of the new LED lights on the front, but hey, $2,500 is ridiculous for looks.
Old 03-12-13, 09:27 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vadimo

I purchased mine from Sewell for $381.50 + shipping. Be sure to register as a CL member before placing the order for a significant discount (normal price is $495).

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/2889.html
Old 03-12-13, 09:36 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Originally Posted by anthrax144
I purchased mine from Sewell for $381.50 + shipping. Be sure to register as a CL member before placing the order for a significant discount (normal price is $495).

Anthrax - 'YOU DA MAN!' THANKS! wonder how much shipping to Virginia will be.....checking to see where Sewell is........

Muchly appreciated........
Old 03-12-13, 09:38 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Anthrax - 'YOU DA MAN!' THANKS! wonder how much shipping to Virginia will be.....checking to see where Sewell is........

Muchly appreciated........
Shipping to WA was $35. Overall, still much cheaper than purchasing at the stealership. I'll be installing mine this weekend.
Old 03-13-13, 04:40 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Shipping to WA was $35. Overall, still much cheaper than purchasing at the stealership. I'll be installing mine this weekend.
Where is Sewell located?

Can't wait to hear a full review once you've got them installed.....

gn
Old 03-13-13, 04:44 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Anthrax -

Cannot find where to register as a CL member on their website......can you point me to where I can do that?

Thanks!

gn
Old 03-13-13, 04:49 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Found them. Dallas.

Where is Sewell located?

Can't wait to hear a full review once you've got them installed.....

gn
Old 03-13-13, 06:42 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIA,

gn

I answered this on the first page.

You will notice it on things like cobblestone roads. It will bounce you around a little bit, but it's not too bad. Kind of entertaining in a way. Otherwise, you will not really notice it under normal driving. When you push it harder around corners, you will feel the difference from stock. But I just felt I had to restate that there will be some left-right undulation on uneven surfaces.

There is a little bit of squeaking on large speed bumps. I may need to tighten up the bolts. It's been several years since I installed them. No squeaking on flat surfaces though. Yes, I do have the updated bushings.
Old 03-13-13, 07:18 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Found how to get registered as ClubLexus member....thanks! Done.

Ordering tomorrow......
Old 03-13-13, 07:48 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

thanks, jre - yes, I read that, just looking for all the info I can get.

ordering tomorrow from Sewill Lexus in Dallas......

Originally Posted by jre002
I answered this on the first page.

You will notice it on things like cobblestone roads. It will bounce you around a little bit, but it's not too bad. Kind of entertaining in a way. Otherwise, you will not really notice it under normal driving. When you push it harder around corners, you will feel the difference from stock. But I just felt I had to restate that there will be some left-right undulation on uneven surfaces.

There is a little bit of squeaking on large speed bumps. I may need to tighten up the bolts. It's been several years since I installed them. No squeaking on flat surfaces though. Yes, I do have the updated bushings.

Quick Reply: Is there a consensus on F-Sport Sway Bars?