GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Potential GS430 Owner

Old 06-04-12, 09:50 AM
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential GS430 Owner

I'm currently fielding offers for my IS300 and am having a change of heart somewhat of going to a 530 or e class merc.

Pic of my IS:

I'm currently considering a 05 white gs430, and am searching on here for potential mods but this forum seems to be a lil quite in comparison to the myis crowd...

I have read most of the GS 3rd gen FAQ threads, but I still have a few questions.

The gs430 features active suspension, if you install coilovers is this system made redundant?

How good is the ML system really? (I have a well sorted system in my IS but tbh it never gets a work out)

Does anyone have any pics of the 3rd gen IS dropped on TE37's? I'm thinking a white GS would look great on some TE37SL's or something jdm with a clean simplistic 5 spoke design such as the rays GTS rims

I have searched a lot of wheel/japan threads and they are either outdated from 4 years ago, with a heap of dead links missing images or no offence mundane tacky rims...

Cheers!
Old 06-04-12, 10:08 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an E-class and honestly i prefer to drive my gs over it. Your IS is pretty dope... Should keep it and build your gs up on the side.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 06-04-12 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 08:09 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

No, aftermarket coilovers and etc. will not be able to be integrated into your active suspension, you'll have to mate some form of the Tein digital adjuster.

ML system sucks. Since you don't work it out, you're fine, the ML system is pretty nice at lower levels. Just don't BLAST it.

If you look on one of the members on here, he had imitation te-37s on his GS, his was black though, it looked pretty dope with black on black n black
Old 06-04-12, 10:22 PM
onephatguy
Pole Position

Isn't that a 2nd gen GS, 05? If so, then you may find more info on mods in that forum.
Old 06-04-12, 11:11 PM
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onephatguy
Isn't that a 2nd gen GS, 05? If so, then you may find more info on mods in that forum.
The 2005 GS430 is a 3rd gen car here in Australia (we never received the 2nd gen GS430 AFAIK)
Old 06-04-12, 11:24 PM
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I have an E-class and honestly i prefer to drive my gs over it. Your IS is pretty dope... Should keep it and build your gs up on the side.
Well I love the IS for its handling(I have the entire TRD catalogue pretty much in conjunction with Tein flex's) but tbh I rarely drive it hard or in a spirited manner I'm after something bigger and more comfortable seems more practical as a daily then a firm riding IS(I'm 6'7 so a bigger car makes sense!)

I love the E class interior, with the right colour scheme it looks extremely well built almost vault like, but the exterior is kinda drab (much the same can be said about the GS though!)

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
No, aftermarket coilovers and etc. will not be able to be integrated into your active suspension, you'll have to mate some form of the Tein digital adjuster.

ML system sucks. Since you don't work it out, you're fine, the ML system is pretty nice at lower levels. Just don't BLAST it.

If you look on one of the members on here, he had imitation te-37s on his GS, his was black though, it looked pretty dope with black on black n black
So you cannot use coilovers at all, or if you install coilovers it obviously renders the active suspension controls as non functioning (think I answered my own question there!) I have edfc on my IS and its pretty much a waste of money as the first few weeks you play around with the settings then practically leave it where it is, so I definitely wont worry about that this time around.

Once again I'm getting older (33) and having my JL10W7 thumping away almost gives me the ****s at times I'm hoping to resist the urge if I buy a GS to rip the ML system out.

I'm definately keen on either black or gun metal rims, they should contrast nicely against the black duco, I just need to find some more inspirational examples on here
Old 06-05-12, 04:38 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you need the coil overs for if you never drive on the track or in spirited manner? Car in stock form does pretty well for every day driving and then some.

As for MB, check the problem areas on MB forum and compare it to Lexus forums. I am sure those guys are singing a different tune. Also check prices for MB parts, you will need them as you own a Benz.

Also Gs430 needs a Timing belt change at 90-100k miles. Just so you know. Check around for pricing so you know ahead.

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-12, 05:20 AM
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
What do you need the coil overs for if you never drive on the track or in spirited manner? Car in stock form does pretty well for every day driving and then some.

As for MB, check the problem areas on MB forum and compare it to Lexus forums. I am sure those guys are singing a different tune. Also check prices for MB parts, you will need them as you own a Benz.

Also Gs430 needs a Timing belt change at 90-100k miles. Just so you know. Check around for pricing so you know ahead.

Good Luck!
The ride height of the GS isn't too bad but I like a one finger gap between the tyre and the guard, hence why I'm thinking coilovers would be needed to ensure that nice stance is achieved on some 19" rims something along the lines of these:

Yes there are lots of reports of issues with the W211 merc's and I love the reliability and ease of access of parts for my lexus, and also have built up some contacts at my local dealershp and ppl in the industry to gain cheap prices for spares so I would like to stay with the lexus brand

Oh ok thanks for the info regarding the timing belt, that's the same as my IS300

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 06-05-12 at 06:37 AM.