GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 05:47 AM
xarnette15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding to both of my posts. I actually had a 2005 GS300 w. factory HID's. I then bought an 04 and installed HID kits. No HID kit with DRL functionality to the best of my knowledge.
Old 05-24-12, 11:53 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, I read your other thread. But yeah, if you want the lights to be on while the DRLs are activated, you need that relay kit that I've posted up in the very beginning, but if you have your DRL's set to off mode, then you won't need it.

I'm actually looking forward to shutting mine's off as I don't want the housing to melt. Hi-beams are not meant to run 24/7 on the car, although not bright, i'm sure that cheaply made plastic of a housing for our cars will not withstand the heat from the HID bulb.

On a side note, I MAY, start making foglight covers, and will probably make them for our members if anyone needs them also (with payment of materials of course). No profit, just something to replace your O.E. ones if the lens ever warps.
Old 06-04-12, 12:52 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

So i did the install, but my DRL doesnt turn on (and it always used to turn on!). I followed the instructions step by step. The only difference is that I used an HID extra 9005 kit and they sent me 2 "anti-flicker capacitor wire harness" which were not in your install, (so i did not install them and left them out.) What could it possibly be that my HID high beam works and my DRL's are off (remember it always came on before!) Pics to come..
Old 06-04-12, 01:05 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0109.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0110.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0111.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0112.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0113.jpg
Old 06-04-12, 01:37 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0114.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0115.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0116.jpg
Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!-imag0117.jpg
Old 06-04-12, 01:41 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

this is the kit i used http://www.hidextra.com/9005-slim-matte-black-hid-kit

I just got off the phone with HID extra and they are saying the relay bypasses the DRL function that's why there is no juice going to the HIDs in DRL mode. But the relay powers the High Beams fine. I also powered this kit via oem connection and skipped the relay part. It went on but flickered (even with the flickering capacitors and shut off. I guess there was not enough juice to get the HID's to turn on in DRL mode.

Kind of defeated the purpose of me getting these since i wanted HID DRL , although HID high beam is nice. I wonder why Gokou 's kit works in DRL and high beam mode fine??

Last edited by Lex Luga; 06-04-12 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 03:02 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

From bad to worse, I tried to power the kit via oem connection and it didnt work, so i went back to the set up that worked: the relay set up and now the drl and the high beams don't work. So i figure forget it, let me just got back to stock halogen DRL/high beam. New problem: high beams and drl doesn't work FML! Anyone have an idea what the hell happened?
Old 06-04-12, 08:22 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Lex, your setup look LEGIT! I'd honestly give it another go! I'm sorry it didn't work out your way, the capacitor they sent you is the same one i'm using (not exact same, but same concept), it's a warning canceller capacitor, and the whole purpose is to suck in juice and hold it to get enough voltage and send a signal to the relay, and the relay take the power from the battery onto your DRLs, to imitate high-beams pretty much!

Be careful doing that method (hooking it up straight without a relay w/ capacitor). The capacitor blew up on the HID guy i go to once when he tried that LOL! This time, put the capacitor between the OEM and the relay kit. then hook everything up the way you did, it's even better if you take two capacitors and hook them side by side (to stress the capacitors out less) and hook it up between the Relay kit and the OEM harness.

You probably just burned the fuse that the hi-beams/DRLs need. Check your fuse box! LOL.... Like I said, that flickering and then popping is not a good thing! Luckily we have fuses to prevent these matters.
Old 06-04-12, 09:10 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

I already requested to return the kit unfortunately. I actually did use the relay to capacitor to the extra wire harness capacitors to ballast method (one extra wire harness on each headlight) and it worked about the same as when i used the relay + capacitor to ballast alone. Both set ups did NOT provide me with DRL function, only high beam function. I just want my high beam and drl back. But yeh i really wanted that HID DRL. So how can i fix this blown fuse? Where is the fuse box located, I have an 06 awd

Last edited by Lex Luga; 06-04-12 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 02:26 AM
XxGoKoUxX

You have two, one in your engine bay and one in your cabin. Check the one in the engine bay area, it's not hard at all honestly. Take off the cap and look for the fuse. This should have worked for you 100% with the capacitor.

If you're still interested, My guy does offer the kit shipped pre-assembled, all you have to do is plug in the 12v lead, the OEM harness to the capacitor, and the bulbs in the housing. PM me if you're intersted and i'll call him up and set everything up for you! He is also willing to price match wherever you got your kit from if the price doesn't satisfy you (he's really a stand-up guy!).
Old 06-05-12, 04:49 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Can you take a pix of the fuse(s). Do I need to get it replaced? I'll pm you about the kit later, gotta worry about returning the first kit.
Old 06-05-12, 05:15 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Sure thing Lex! I'll even have them test everything on my car before they send off the kit Just be sure to get into contact with me. I'll take pictures before I leave and post it up whenever I have the chance.

Forewarning: I haven't slept for the past 18 hours so I might knock out until tomorrow (wednesday) in which i'll have a full busy schedule for school and I may not be able to get back to you on it. However I'm willing to text-message you pictures if you text me sometime today.

PM'ing you my # as we speak.
Old 06-05-12, 05:24 AM
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone on here used any of the AAC products on their GS?

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...lehalokit.aspx

Also has anyone 'blacked' out their headlight housings and removed that ugly amber reflector located inside the housing?

amber reflector as seen here:

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 06-05-12 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 06:53 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Message lka pimp about removing the ambers bc that is a picture of his car. As for the halo kit I know people on CL have done it. Not my cup of tea, I think halos are for BMW but that parking light housing part of that kit looks cool bc its not the typical circular shape.

Last edited by Lex Luga; 06-06-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 08:00 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Message lka pump about removing the ambers bc that is a picture of his car. As for the halo kit I know people on CL have done it. Not my cup of tea, I think halos are for BMW but that parking light housing part of that kit looks cool bc its not the typical circular shape.
First and foremost, AAC makes some stand up products. They're expensive but worth every penny IMO. But like Lex said, halo kits belong on O.E. BMWs, not lexus. It honestly looks tacky and rice-ish IMO. IF you do end up buying the AAC kit, remember you'll have to do a DIY modification of the headlight housing. AAC does not do this for you (last time I checked anyways.... My uncle wanted the same exact thing and luckily I convinced him otherwise).

Quick Reply: Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!