GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!

Old 05-10-12, 12:15 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let OP clarify.
Old 05-10-12, 12:16 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9912/rm991203.htm
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html

"No US state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

Safety is one thing but these DRL lights are distracting sometime. And unless it's OEM LED DRL, they look pretty bad because of the lights are driven at a lower power.
With Automatically on/off headlights, DRL are not needed. If the weather turns bad and it gets dark, your vehicle will be clearly visible by others. You can also set the sensitivity of the automatic on/off headlight sensors.
Thanks to you..... I'm getting the DRLs shut off now as we speak! Thank you

Originally Posted by Stormforge
xxgokouxx has been generous enough with his time in doing a write up for those who are interested in doing this mod. if you don't like it, fair enough, just comment and move on. i do not want this thread to turn into a bashing thread. all i ask is that everyone be courteous and non-judgemental. thanks.
Thank you. I don't see what the big deal is..... Even the service advisors love the idea here at Lexus. Haven't heard one question me about it being bad at all.... I honestly think everyone is over analyzing it but that's all good. I'm here to answer questions, especially since I made the write up. I will post up pictures reflecting against a car during the day and night for more clarification.

Originally Posted by ITWORKS
Good call...NUFF said ! The guy has hooked it up big time here with info and good pics.
Ty glad I can help out whomever I DO help

Why are we so sensitive on what other people opinion about their mods here? It's cool when you mod your car and don't affect other people on the road. But if mods like high beam lights, they do affect people on the road.
All I'm saying is, good work on the mod but if that light is on like a high beam and HID, it's a real distraction for other drivers on the road. And from the look of the pictures, the color of the lights is greenish which is not something I would call friendly on the road.
Something must be wrong with your monitor. No offense but the colors all blue, no hint of green. I did post that it's not THAT blue since the bulbs were just warming up.

Originally Posted by worker
No bashing from me.

xxgokouxx, it looks great.
Ty worker

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
xxgokouxx never said if the HID runs full power at all times. So to clarify for all, does it run half power on drl mode and full power on high beam mode. Or in simpler terms are the HIDs less bright on DRL mode and brighter in high beam mode?
It's full power. If you want to play with intensity, you'll need a bixenon kit, and quite possibly projector retrofit as you'll blinde people from all aspects.

Originally Posted by ITWORKS
I'm pretty sure that 30 amp relay he's triggering with the OEM DRL socket is either ON or OFF . It doesn't have a hi or low setting. So I'd say it's same intensity DRL or Hi beam
*ding ding ding* you're correct. It's full power, and even better you called it out knowing the purpose of the relay kit
Old 05-10-12, 12:24 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Excellent! I commemorate you on turning off your DRL/Highbeam. There's no reason why anyone should be hi-beaming people with HID during the day.
Hi-Beam is designed for a quick read on road sign or when no one else is on the road.
Old 05-10-12, 12:37 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ it also use to flash people to get their attention. Sadly many ppl now are blind, they don't see it. It's dark and they drive without their headlight, I flash them and they still kept on going.
Old 05-10-12, 12:46 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, there would be no point for me to do this imo because I want to be able to flash people and if my drl and highbeam is the same and it's already running, that's just not possible. Unless a bixenon aftermarket hid kit comes out. And if it did come out your drls would really be another set of headlights with option to highbeam like halogen headlights are correct? That seems like it would look nice without being ignant.

For now it might make sense to just get the drls turned off and call it a day.

Last edited by Lex Luga; 05-10-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 08:30 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Looks good, the blue isnt that bad, sadly I can never do this so I'm stuck with finding a highpowered LED DRL. Nice write-up.
Old 05-10-12, 08:31 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Excellent! I commemorate you on turning off your DRL/Highbeam. There's no reason why anyone should be hi-beaming people with HID during the day.
Hi-Beam is designed for a quick read on road sign or when no one else is on the road.
once again, no one can tell they're on really... it's just blue from the headlight's point of view I haven't had a chance ot take daytime pictures because my car's in for service for blown shocks, door lock procedure failure, a repair on my leather that lexus messed up, and a few other issues. Once it's back on the road I'll post pictures for you all

Originally Posted by worker
^ it also use to flash people to get their attention. Sadly many ppl now are blind, they don't see it. It's dark and they drive without their headlight, I flash them and they still kept on going.
You're right, there's stubborn people out there worker. I try to help fellow drivers myself too and they all seem to not pay attention to it until it's pitch black and they almost get into an accident lol.

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Damn, there would be no point for me to do this imo because I want to be able to flash people and if my drl and highbeam is the same and it's already running, that's just not possible. Unless a bixenon aftermarket hid kit comes out. And if it did come out your drls would really be another set of headlights with option to highbeam like halogen headlights are correct? That seems like it would look nice without being ignant.

For now it might make sense to just get the drls turned off and call it a day.
It's up to you, but just remember during the day, when you flash your high-beams, your headlights would flip on and off to warn people also. So flashing process still occurs with the lights ON or OFF.
Old 05-19-12, 05:45 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

The capacitor is not needed when wiring this up if you are turning your DRL option off by the dealer.
Old 05-20-12, 03:27 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Thank you for the additional information

EDIT: I've also found out my uncle saw what I did to my car and decided to go to the same guy to get it installed on his hybrid GS. I will come back with more feedback as to how he powered these lights later on (my guess is that the installer MIGHT of used an alternator lead, of there is any on the GS450h).

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 05-20-12 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:55 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

You dont necessarily need to run a power wire from the battery to install HID's in the high beams you can wire it up like any other HID kit using the stock plug to power the ballast. This should only be done if the DRL is turned off. I've wired it both ways, using stock plug and wiring it to the battery and they both work. Wiring to the battery is more reliable though.
Old 05-20-12, 12:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

yeah, but some people like hte functionality of the DRLs If I can finally get lexus to disable my DRLs I might go the other route as the fire-up of the HID's would be quicker.
Old 05-20-12, 05:22 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

I saw a old Volvo at the supermarket today with hid 6000k or 8000k high beam running as their drl's and it didnt blind me when I looked directly at the lights from (a standing height, which is higher than when you're sitting, driving in your car.). Entertaining the idea of doing this install..5000k ofcoarse.

Last edited by Lex Luga; 05-20-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 09:37 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Thanks for verifying, I have a test upcoming this tuesday so I haven't had time to take pictures or anything from a 3rd person POV. I'll take pictures of how it looks towards other cars during the day and with me sitting in my gf's car and my car behind her's with the DRLs on during the day.

All in all, like you said lex, I guarantee anyone... matter of fact i'll put money on it, that you won't blinde other people on the road during the day.
Old 05-23-12, 01:10 PM
xarnette15
Driver School Candidate

I own an 07 GS450h. I removed my HID kits from my previous 2004 GS300. Can I use these kits to upgrade my high beam and fogs on the 450h? They should simply plug & plan correct? Also If can use one of these HID kits on my High beams would I still need to have my DTRL turned off? It was my understanding that these kits do not glow like stock bulbs when in DTRL mode....this would allow my parking light to have superiority in the housing. Thanks
Old 05-23-12, 09:50 PM
XxGoKoUxX

You will need to re-cross reference if you have O.E. HID's in your older GS, but from the regular GS's.

Yes... the high beams on both vehicles are 9005 and the foglights on both vehicles are 9006.

I've never heard of a HID kit with DRL functionality. So if this is true, please tell me where you got your kit as i'd love to know who makes kits for DRL mode. The shop I go to might also be interested also!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!