GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rearview mirror problem

Old 05-05-12, 10:15 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rearview mirror problem

i am having a problem where my rear view mirror is shaking. To elaborate, not the whole mirror unit, but the mirror itself is shaking. Has anyone encountered such problem?
Old 05-05-12, 10:35 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes i haD same exact problem when i bought my gs used but it did have warranty. There is a tsb for it if you are still under warranty but if you are not then as i remember the bolt behind the mirror was missing and they put one in. Check to see if the bolt/screw is in place.
Old 05-06-12, 01:35 AM
LADavidGS
Driver

do i need to remove the mirror to access the bolt? I did tighten a hex screw under the mirror stand but the problem still remains. This is very frustrating consider that its a LEXUS and it is known for its quality.
Old 05-06-12, 01:54 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i recall it correctly, its that 1 hex bolt that was missing and they replaced it and tighten it. It accesible without removing anything.Try to wiggle the mirror and see where the play is, you might need a whole new mirror assemebly if its the ball that holds the mirror part. I would suggest ebay or a local junkyard. I know how frustrating it may be, when i got the car i was driving on the highway and the mirror vibrated so much i couldn tell if it was 1 car behind me or a few. I was very suprised that the previous owner didn't notice or that it didnt bother him enough to have lexus fix it. This is a great car but keep in mind not one car that was made is perfect and some have more problems then others. Gs has issues ill be honest, but nothing mechanical or major its the little things like side mirror, rear view mirror, squeaks, rattles, headlight bulbs etc etc.
Old 05-06-12, 07:19 AM
mynes09
Driver School Candidate

Just got my mirror changed covered by warranty...$1100
Old 06-04-12, 12:28 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the same issue. I don't think it's the entire assembly, but I think it's the reflective portion of the mirror itself that's shaking. I assume the hex bolt simply tightens the resistance to adjusting the mirror, and not the reflective glass in the mirror. I'll try holding the mirror assembly the next time I see it shaking, but I truly believe it's the actual mirror and not the entire thing.

e
Old 06-04-12, 08:11 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

if it's under CPO warranty, you can get it changed under a TSIB I believe. I'm getting mine's changed again due to the mirror having these black spots reappearing again.
Old 06-04-12, 09:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
if it's under CPO warranty, you can get it changed under a TSIB I believe. I'm getting mine's changed again due to the mirror having these black spots reappearing again.
I am under CPO warranty, but I've been told that interior trim items are not covered. That doesn't sound right. I would understand if it was a torn piece of trim, but this is a situation where an item is not functioning properly.

Also, it's my understanding that TSB's are only covered under the factory warranty, not the CPO warranty.

e
Old 06-05-12, 02:34 AM
XxGoKoUxX

nope. whoever told you that lied i've already had the job done, it was under safety hazard for the rearview mirror (since like i said, the mirror has this black spot that won't go away). I think the easy rattling thing is another TSB issue too!

I'm going to follow up again after that issue, and along with my two interior pieces that are under TSIB. (I can link you if you haven't done this yet). It's the leather under the seatbelt holster that needs to be changed.
Old 06-05-12, 09:05 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
nope. whoever told you that lied i've already had the job done, it was under safety hazard for the rearview mirror (since like i said, the mirror has this black spot that won't go away). I think the easy rattling thing is another TSB issue too!

I'm going to follow up again after that issue, and along with my two interior pieces that are under TSIB. (I can link you if you haven't done this yet). It's the leather under the seatbelt holster that needs to be changed.
Thanks. The shaking/vibrating is covered by a TSB, but the TSB requires replacement of the entire unit. I don't believe that's covered by the CPO warranty. Please keep me posted on your progress of getting interior items repaired/replaced under the CPO warranty.

e
Old 06-05-12, 09:12 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem, and the dealer replaced the entire assembly. However, I was told the new one would probably rattle as well. It does.
Old 07-15-12, 05:25 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my windshield replaced at safelite and the shaking started immediatly. It only seems to happen when its hot. Once I turn on the AC and the interior cools down its gone? Anyone had this happen? Hex screw is tight and dealer said mirror is as tight as it can be.
Old 07-15-12, 07:11 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks. The shaking/vibrating is covered by a TSB, but the TSB requires replacement of the entire unit. I don't believe that's covered by the CPO warranty. Please keep me posted on your progress of getting interior items repaired/replaced under the CPO warranty.

e
Sorry for not getting back, I've had mine's replaced a total of two times now, because the last one was fading from factory *sigh* the quality of half of these parts i swear!!! They refused to fix my two B-pillars because i'm out of warranty on my car, very frustrated i put out my concerns to the complaint department and they're fixing ONE side only now (the side the dealer messed up). The other side will be left alone because they won't warranty it.... Dissapointed but it's whatever.

Originally Posted by Bavaria
I had the same problem, and the dealer replaced the entire assembly. However, I was told the new one would probably rattle as well. It does.
Yup, mine's rattles when I have my stereo system running, otherwise it's just normal.

Originally Posted by DrewGS350
I had my windshield replaced at safelite and the shaking started immediatly. It only seems to happen when its hot. Once I turn on the AC and the interior cools down its gone? Anyone had this happen? Hex screw is tight and dealer said mirror is as tight as it can be.
Hmm.... Is it under normal driving conditions? Do you have music blasting? Do you have aftermarket speakers on the vehicle? Because I do and it only happens when music's going loud . You might be able to get away with a "safety hazard" under your conditions..... My situation was a little different.
Old 07-15-12, 03:01 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No loud music stock ML system. Was not able to duplicate the problem at the dealer as It was in the AM and it was cool. Will drop it off in some time next week and have it sit for a few hrs then return to if the problem is duplicated. .
Old 07-15-12, 05:50 PM
XxGoKoUxX

That is not your job Drew, it's the dealer's, make THEM duplicate it..... Take it to the dealer, tell them to let it sit in the sun for a few hours (at least until it's hot in the interior). And run music or drive it to find the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rearview mirror problem