GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tail light problem

Old 04-16-12, 07:28 PM
coleco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tail light problem

Hello everyone,
I have an issue and a couple of questions. I tried a few different ways of searching and I must be either dumb and not seeing the answer or possibly it is so obvious no one ever posted anything like this before, etc.

The issue is, about 2 weeks ago I took my 2006 GS 300 in for a 90K check up, oil, tires, etc.
I was hoping there would not be too many extras found but no such luck. The attendant came out and told me that one of the tail lights was not working and it would be about $500 to fix and they needed to order the part. Seeing how they could not do it right there I figured I would do a little research to see if I could get one cheaper and install myself.

Now the ordering was not as easy as I had hoped. I found one ebay vendor that had the part for $170ish so I figured I was way ahead of the game price wise at this point. Keep in mind what I was told was I needed a whole new outer right rear tail light - something about LED and either it worked or did not work etc. There was no new bulb they could pop in and fix it. Again that is what I was told.
So I did the install tonight. Other than dropping a 10mm socket deep in the well and fishing it out no problems. Hooked everything back up, put the tools away, closed the trunk, had my son press the break pedal to check and Wallah!.....
nothing happened.. as before the top center brake light and left side work fine but the right outer brake light doesn't. it looks like it is on when the lights are on but the brake part does not light up.

So I now have a few questions. The wiring, harness, whatever you call it is the same old one in the car. I just unhooked the old wiring and hooked up the new light. No new harness or hook up came with the light. Do I need a new one and is it possible that is the problem and not the light itself? If so does anyone know where I can get one? Secondly, it sure looks like there is one large amber looking bulb that could be changed. I looked at it closely and it wasn't obviously burned out but I guess that does not mean that it is not the problem.
Does anyone have any ideas why this is not working? I started to look at the fuses but realized that one fuse seemed to control all the brake lights, i did not see a left, center, right fuse for example.

Any suggestions would help. Other than just giving the Lexus dealership a call and ordering the part I am not sure what they would do differently that I did not do.
Thanks so much to anyone that can answer. If there is a link to this exact issue I am sorry and will gladly read it if directed to the right place.

Coleco
Old 04-16-12, 10:21 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly to me it sounds more like a bad light, the only thing that the light does it dim when lights are on or brighter when hitting the brake. Its not rocket science and I honestly think its the light it self. The amber bulb is your turning signal bulb that can be changed out, I would check and see if the turning signal works. It might be a burned wire but that is not the symptoms it gives.
Old 04-17-12, 06:54 AM
coleco
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I was not detailed enough in my post. It may not be rocket science which is great because I could not do that either.

Here are the details I should have included in my post. With both the old and new light I replaced, the turn signal works and the light does come on. It is the brake portion that does not work. When you hit the brakes, the top brake light and left rear light up ok but the right brake light (the outer light) does not work still after putting in a new light.
So I was wondering if i need to buy a new wire harness. It seems unlikely that the old light stopped working and the new one I purchased was defective the same way. But I guess its possible.
If anyone knows where I could purchase new wiring for the tail light - the harness I guess its called that would be awesome.

Thanks very much.
coleco
Old 04-17-12, 09:06 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

When looking at the light on, does it have three bars or four? The top fourth bar comes on when pressing the brakes and the rest gets brighter.
Old 04-17-12, 10:20 AM
coleco
Rookie

it has 4 bars. the bottom 3 are on when the light is on but when brake is depressed, they do not get brighter nor does the top 4th bar light up just as you said it should. so its not the whole light clearly just something very specific it would appear. again the old and new light both are doing this.

and just to summarize again I am using all the old wiring. the new light did not come with a new harness nor do i know where to get a new harness.

the only other thing I will point out is something I thought about before. When I was taking out the old light and putting in the new light, there are a few plugs and a little metal box that gets plugged into the light above the amber bulb. this little metal box has 2 screws that secure it. One of the screws was missing. I wonder, if by some chance if both screws are needed to complete a circuit? It was fairly secure with one screw but I wondered at the time if the other one came out or someone in manufacturing years ago just didn't use both. I did not take the other light out to see. Probably not related but just a thought.
The only other thing I could do would be to switch the wiring from left to right side. What a minor pain in the rear end but I guess if no one has another suggestion thats what I will do.

thanks so much for those following and adding their 2 cents
Old 04-17-12, 03:23 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Try to get to the other light and see how the box is designed. Also u can remove the left side tail light and plug it in and see if it works. Harnesses and wires in generally either work or dont. In your case it works but the relay seems like not sending the right signal or the unit is fried.
Old 04-17-12, 07:38 PM
coleco
Rookie

Thanks guys for the advice. Tomorrow I will undo the working side and see what happens. If it turns out the the old light (and new light I purchased) work on the other side then will call the dealership and ask them to explain why they thought I needed a whole new light but more importantly where can I buy the wiring harness.
Old 04-18-12, 04:20 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coleco
Thanks guys for the advice. Tomorrow I will undo the working side and see what happens. If it turns out the the old light (and new light I purchased) work on the other side then will call the dealership and ask them to explain why they thought I needed a whole new light but more importantly where can I buy the wiring harness.
It could be a brake light logic unit went bad.
Use a volt meter to check if there is any voltage across the harness when headlights are on and when the brakes are applied.
Old 04-24-12, 06:09 PM
coleco
Rookie

So I decided to purchase a new harness from Sewell. Not too bad, less than $30 bucks. It was worth it to put this issue to rest. Bad or not bad harness. So now I have a new light and new wire harness. NO LUCK!! As before with all the old/original parts. Lights, and turn signal fine. Getting brighter to indicate brake is on? No.
I wonder how the dealership decided a new light was needed. I changed it out and no luck. I am running out of ideas and now am throwing good money after bad.
I took a peak at the good side (left side) harness and the light unit to see how it was connected - it seemed to be bolted a little better without a missing screw. I take it to mean perhaps the dealership tried looking at the wires on the bad side and got sloppy when reconnecting. I may give them a call and ask them to pull up my account and let them know that A) I replaced the whole rear outside (combination) light and no dice and B) I replaced the harness and no dice. And see what they say from there. Again I am assuming if the fuse was out all the break lights would be out.

Any thoughts would be great. As to a particular logic board or some other fuse, device, etc. in the car that is responsible for the right rear break (outside of the parts I replaced) I am cluless about. It seems that there is some type of ribbon harness that runs in the back to connect the left and right. I tried to get a peak at that but it seems hard to get to.
I guess I am going to give up unless someone knows of another option.

thanks
Old 04-24-12, 06:43 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Open the box see if its in good condition, then try to get a replacement screw as that can be the ground.
Old 04-25-12, 06:39 AM
coleco
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Im sorry to be so dumb. when you say box do you mean the fuse box in the rear or some other box? If is the small aluminum box that came with the harness then again that is new. As far as a screw I did put one in thinking that but it did not work. It was not a perfect fit so will take the one screw out and match it up completely and try one more time. However if it is a grounding screw issue than I have to figure out why it was removed to begin with. all very puzzling.

Of course the fuse removal tool is missing from the front main fuse box. I will try to get it out one way or another and replace it. Maybe the fuse is only partially working? Im grasping.....

thanks for the recommendation though.
Old 04-25-12, 07:38 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Ill be honest with you, the problem you are having is very weird and by the seach very uncommon. At this point i feel like you have exhausted every possible option (well expect plugging in the right light to the left and see if it works, and maybe fuses). At this point i feel like the only option is to take it to a dealer.
Old 04-25-12, 08:14 AM
coleco
Rookie

well I think you are correct. I have removed the peripheral issues which include the light and harness so I am left to think about a central issue. what else is involved in making the light work for example. There are other parts involved I am sure between the battery and the light and that is beyond my abilities. I was trying to save some cash but apparently am in over my head. what is throwing me is the fact that the central and left brake light work fine, and the dealership told me a new light was needed. How did they know that? Im starting to feel that they did not and just assumed replacing it would do the trick.

Thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate it and will give the dealership a call to discuss and see what they say. My big fear now is this is going to be a several trip resolution deal. hehe.

thanks again and a good day to all!
Old 04-25-12, 10:37 AM
Teddy350
Driver

Cool

Did you purchase an extended warranty?
Old 04-25-12, 02:02 PM
coleco
Rookie

Yes! $&$)(:;($. Forgot about that and it's a covered item. Not a bulb per say.
That irritates me. I have been so dumb about this whole thing from the start. Will give them a call as I said and post a response when resolution is found.
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tail light problem