GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How to get sound to pass through the trunk better.. Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 08:18 AM
Franco09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to get sound to pass through the trunk better.. Ideas??

2009 Lexus GS 350 AWD W/ ML Sound

I have another thread going about my amp/sub install and some of the technical difficulties im having but i thought this deserved its own thread.

These newer luxury cars get to be so quiet anymore. This is a good thing until i am trying to get sound to pass through my trunk, then it kinda fights me. I have 2 10" subs that i have had in my previous cars and they sounded great. Now that i put them in, the quality is good, but they dont shake the car quite as well as they used to. Id like to blame this on the trunk being sealed up very well from road noise. My box for my subwoofer has a port that is long & skinny and is right in the middle of the two 10 inch subs i have. I figure i can turn the box around and point that port right at my pass through which im hoping will get some better sound into the vehicle. I plan to try this later tonight but i see this as more of a work around, i would rather do things the right way.

So basically my question is: What have you guys done, if any, to get sound to pass from the trunk to the front of the car better? Obviously, to all you smart @$$3$ out there , higher wattage/more expensive equipment will fix this but im hoping for other suggestions/remedies. I was thinking of making custom ports that go up and come out right by the factory sub or off to the sides of it. Also thought about removing the factory sub (its not hooked up now) and letting the custom ports stop right there.. Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 03-15-12, 08:37 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove your factory sub and leave open the pass through
Old 03-15-12, 09:19 AM
Franco09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by beez43
Would i need to cut a hole through the carpet on the top of my trunk (below the factory sub) or would removing it be good enough?I ask this question because when i open my pass through to let sound through (subs facing the back of the car) i dont get much of an improvement. I will report back when i turn the subs around to face forward. im hoping that helps.

Second question, i briefly attempted to remove the molding covering the bolts that hold the factory sub in but didnt want to break something. What is the best method for removing that? Thanks!
Old 03-15-12, 10:36 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Ok so if you want the bass to pass into the car the box need to vent into the car though the ski opening or the factory sub opening. taking the factory sub out does help a little but a box designed to vent into the car work a lot better. I have mine vented through the ski pass and it work great, but I have a custom box that I designed. I think I know what type of box you have for 2 10's, can you post os me picture of it.
Old 03-15-12, 11:00 AM
Franco09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
Ok so if you want the bass to pass into the car the box need to vent into the car though the ski opening or the factory sub opening. taking the factory sub out does help a little but a box designed to vent into the car work a lot better. I have mine vented through the ski pass and it work great, but I have a custom box that I designed. I think I know what type of box you have for 2 10's, can you post os me picture of it.
Hey swtjlsy, thanks for the re! Ya i was thinking that should help, cept i dont wanna have my pass through open any time i want extra bass. I will turn the box around and it should get close to what your are talking about. But like i said before, using that pass through would be a work around and eventually id want to bring the ports up through the opening where the factory sub used to be or just create my own custom port holes off to the side. Part of me wants to throw a JL 8" W6 in where the old sub used to be but thats a project for down the road. I have a buddy that works in a body shop though and he can fabricate some custom ports for me.

On the picture, sorry for the quality.. cant take a pic right now so i just drew it.
Attached Thumbnails How to get sound to pass through the trunk better.. Ideas??-box.jpg  
Old 03-15-12, 12:20 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by beez43
Old 03-15-12, 05:49 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

like i said on your other post. i just removed my stock sub. my car is LOUD! you can hear me coming down the block when i got the **** all the way up! and my hi/low is not turned all the way up. you shouldnt have a problem with this. are you sure everything was installed correctly? what type of amps and subs are they?
Old 03-16-12, 06:52 AM
Franco09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
like i said on your other post. i just removed my stock sub. my car is LOUD! you can hear me coming down the block when i got the **** all the way up! and my hi/low is not turned all the way up. you shouldnt have a problem with this. are you sure everything was installed correctly? what type of amps and subs are they?
i posted this same post on a car audio forum and the first thing that they suggested is to install a bandpass box and port it right into the cabin of the car. I thought that might be a good idea. I have Kenwood Excelon 10" subs and an amp that can more than push them. I know they arent top of the line by any means, but iv heard them perform much better in other vehicles. I like the idea of a bandpass box, they make things look really cool but i am scared that you cant hear distortion in them...
Old 03-16-12, 09:36 AM
joeker
Racer

things you can do to improve SPL:
1) Make sure your phases are setup correctly(on the speaker itself, or if your amp has the option, you can adjust this)
2) Bridge(make sure your sub can handle the wattage; do your homework and get the Ohms right)
3) Port

things you can do to hear your sub more:
1) Delete Factory subwoofer
2) Put down the ski pass
Old 03-17-12, 02:28 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Franco09
i posted this same post on a car audio forum and the first thing that they suggested is to install a bandpass box and port it right into the cabin of the car. I thought that might be a good idea. I have Kenwood Excelon 10" subs and an amp that can more than push them. I know they arent top of the line by any means, but iv heard them perform much better in other vehicles. I like the idea of a bandpass box, they make things look really cool but i am scared that you cant hear distortion in them...
You will get a low htz with a band pass along with all the pressure coming in to the car instead of rattling you trunk lol. It all depend on what type of music you listen to. that should be the deciding factor for what type of box you want.
Old 03-17-12, 02:33 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joeker
things you can do to improve SPL:
1) Make sure your phases are setup correctly(on the speaker itself, or if your amp has the option, you can adjust this)
2) Bridge(make sure your sub can handle the wattage; do your homework and get the Ohms right)
3) Port

things you can do to hear your sub more:
1) Delete Factory subwoofer
2) Put down the ski pass
1.the phase is only need to be change if the subs cancel each other out for one.
2. you don't need to bridge you amp unless you need the added power to push your woofer.
3. ports are only used with a box design or band bass style box.
4. The factory sub removal does allow for the trunk to vent a little but a custom box would sound better. You can do a ported box vented in to the cabin.
5. The ski pass is the same as removing the stock woofer.
Old 03-17-12, 02:35 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Franco09
Hey swtjlsy, thanks for the re! Ya i was thinking that should help, cept i dont wanna have my pass through open any time i want extra bass. I will turn the box around and it should get close to what your are talking about. But like i said before, using that pass through would be a work around and eventually id want to bring the ports up through the opening where the factory sub used to be or just create my own custom port holes off to the side. Part of me wants to throw a JL 8" W6 in where the old sub used to be but thats a project for down the road. I have a buddy that works in a body shop though and he can fabricate some custom ports for me.

On the picture, sorry for the quality.. cant take a pic right now so i just drew it.
This style box is a ported or vent box which as the way you described you system does allow pressure to enter the car but the subs will be fire against the back seat which is a sealed metal box in our trunks so not much sound get out of the trunk.