GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Primary Cat removal!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 06:06 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Cat removal!

I have an invidia midpipe and catback but wanted to do some modification so went to my exhaust shop. My main request was throatier sound, due to the current raspy sound. The guy immediately saw the cats and asked if I wanted them removed. he was like make sure no "check engine" light will pop after their removal.. and if they are connected directly to the manifold (which he thinks is the case). Any with info about his concerns? Pic below.
Old 03-08-12, 07:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they are part of your headers (not manifold) and yes you will get a CEL unless you install some extension for your o2 sensors. They should know what these are if they are a shop that works on exhausts.

I want to hear this when your done

Maybe check to see if the SIIKY headers others are using will work on your car. I think they made them for the ISF and ISx50 and its "possible" they may fit or require less modification then chopping your OEM headers.
Old 03-09-12, 01:04 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

^ thing is I need a picture of our current headers and doubt I'd find any around. Dont think any GS member went that far yet!
Old 03-09-12, 07:57 AM
imadesign
Driver

you will have CEL.. i dont think its a good idea unless you change your o2 sensor because its going to make the engine runs rich or lean ATF ratio,,
why dont you custome make x-pipe?? its the best solution for raspy nois.. but make sure the x-pipe is a real x shape
Old 03-09-12, 09:25 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

not the best pic but right at this connection is where your primary cats are located just at the end of your headers.

Your o2 sensors are just after the primary cats
Old 03-09-12, 10:19 AM
imadesign
Driver

do you call stock exhaust manifolds headers? or you have custom made headers..
to me; header is non oem primary pipes and collector made to replace stock exhaust manifold
the o2 sensors shown in the pic is what is in the mid pipe not in the exhaust manifold. arent there 4banks for o2 sensors??
Old 03-09-12, 11:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Exhaust to me = Headers

Intake to me = manifold

correct those are what was once in the OEM mid section. That was replaced in the pics you see above. I was just referencing the location in the picture not that those are the "primary" o2 sensors. I don't have any pics left of the OEM mid section. Its a U shape that goes into one pipe then another U shape into both mufflers. Mine you will see is 2 pipes all the way back.
Old 03-09-12, 11:48 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll get a CEL. My friend did this on his and got the light right away. It did sound extremely throaty, maybe as far as even too loud. People wouldnt think its a Lexus. More like a V8 muscle car but nicer sound.
Old 03-10-12, 02:46 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Exhaust Manifolds = Headers.

Some manufactures have primary and secondary cats. The primary cats usually have pre and post Cat O2 sensors, but certain manufacturers ( Lexus ) make sure both sets of cats are within the pre and post Cat O2 sensors.

If you decate your exhaust manifolds, you will get a CEL unless you can find a simulator or tune your ECU for it.

In your case Rider, you have no secondary cats so O2 sensors will be a problem for you! The cat voltage spike will be instant and will trigger the CEL. Whether that will affect power.... I don't know!

On my M5, it doesn't, it's just an annoying light!

I did this with my M5 as you can see in the attachment, OEM manifold ( headers ) have the primaries built in, I had then decatted. And also had my tune mapped and CEL overriden!

OEM manifolds

Last edited by designo; 06-19-23 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 05:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ yes technically they can be called both, when the OP said manifold that is commonly referred to as your intake around me.

Either way you can eliminate the CEL if you do remove them. All you need is these and your CEL light will go away (desingo this will also take care of your CEL in your BMW)

Personally if your going to do something like this I would go aftermarket or have someone make you some headers.
Old 03-10-12, 05:24 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I would see what if any mods are required to have these work on your car

http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=148&catid=15

Old 03-11-12, 10:01 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

^ do you think the o2 simulator provided with the sikky header for the ISF will work for our cars?? And what is the piece you posted to eliminate CEL called?
Old 03-11-12, 08:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Yes they should work, for the part I listed above search ebay with this "o2 sensor extension" and you will see a list come up. Different lengths and some are straight. IMO I think the one I posted above will be easier to work with in that tight space but both will do the job.
Old 03-12-12, 02:21 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Can the code be erased using a code reader?
Old 03-12-12, 02:41 AM
imadesign
Driver

CEL can be removed by removing the battrie for few min.. it should come if the ECU detects the error again but im still not getting how o2 extention will take care of CEL.. is it by keeping the sensor far from the exhaust gases??
50whp gain is way too much for just headers!!!

Quick Reply: Primary Cat removal!